Thread: subbing

Default subbing

I was asked to sub a class this mon. evening coming up. I told her yes, asked her about the class so I have an idea what to expect. All she said was "they like a hard class". I had to laugh. It will be interesting what they consider, or she considers hard. Some ppl. just don't get it. They think it you load up the resistance it is a hard class. As we all know that doesn't make it hard. I hope to challeng them & hope they like it.
    Of course I will give my speach how we are all different...

Have a great weekend. Sue

Sometimes my hardest classes have more to do with making people stay mentally focused, making people hold a certain pace and committ to the cadence I am queing, or making them aware of the intensity they should be hitting and keeping them honest about how much they are actually exerting.

Resistance is always subjective and always up to each rider.

Give them a ride that makes them think differently about a "hard" class.

They are lucky to have a really intelligent instructor like you! juliet

3. Default

Unfortunately a lot of people thing that mashing the pedals and standing the whole class are the only way to get a hard workout. Good for you for being aware of the difference. I'm sure they will enjoy a change of pace also.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclechick View Post
    Unfortunately a lot of people thing that mashing the pedals and standing the whole class are the only way to get a hard workout. Good for you for being aware of the difference. I'm sure they will enjoy a change of pace also.
    What you are bringing up here is so true...

The other day, I taught a complete 60 min classe (well, excludding warm up, cool down and stretching) only performing flats (80-120bpm). Standing flats, seating flats, faster flats, slower flats, all kinds of flats. I had advised them first of what we would do... and when they heard that would be only flats, they started rub their hands and smiling (like....ah ah ah "this one gonna be easy").

At the end of the class do you know what I heard?
    "Come on Luis...please bring the climbs back......"

Class went well. Did the Don't back down #2 workout. Got lots of compliments on it. Hopefully they realized you don't have to kill it to be hard.

Toffy, I love that you did that. They do think it is easy but when putting the right amt. of resistance for the flats it can be very challenging.

That's it Sue, well done!!

001cy2-300x300
    Quote Originally Posted by toffy View Post
    What you are bringing up here is so true...

The other day, I taught a complete 60 min classe (well, excludding warm up, cool down and stretching) only performing flats (80-120bpm). Standing flats, seating flats, faster flats, slower flats, all kinds of flats. I had advised them first of what we would do... and when they heard that would be only flats, they started rub their hands and smiling (like....ah ah ah "this one gonna be easy").

At the end of the class do you know what I heard?
    "Come on Luis...please bring the climbs back......"

I fancy I'm going to have to snag this idea.

I have mercifully few of the weedwhacker pedal speed/low resistance riders in class but a few too many "mashers" to be confident that my cues are getting across adequately. I got to realise that some people are Born To Mash (or believe they know better than moi) when I taught with the Keisers and power meter etc. so I don't get too worked up about folk doing their own thing this way, except......

I did a mixed "hills 'n' flats" class this week.........with a fairly new to my class and a brand new to my class member who've apparently "SPUN" for ages (as evidenced by their gel seat covers)......mash, mash, mash the whole time. I got the definite feeling that they felt the class had been "too easy"......seeing as I wasn't cuing such a grind.

Vivienne