Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think my classes are getting a bit Stale?

My Mi told me, change a small piece every class. Shure first you think the goal, the music, the profile....! But changings can be...the light, the art of speech, how the bikes are placed in the Cycling Room. I think, it´s possible to teach the same music in such a way , that it gives the participants a completely different meaning. Andi

2. Default

Like others said, it is a good thing you are looking for ways to improve as an instructor.

I also have been feeling different teaching and not feeling the same fun like before. Check to see if you are doing too much, maybe you are tired and need a break?

What I did for one of my classes as i was feeling the motivation and atmosphere was not there anymore, I brought a piece of paper and asked them to make song requests for the new profile and surprisingly, many came after class to make requests. Not only this made my job easier to select music for new profile but I loved almost all of their selection and they Loved the new profile with their own music in it. It made the class a little more alive.

I also want to say that sometimes, what you feel is not always true. For example, I finished a class this Monday and I felt down as I thought class was not great and that it did not go well. But surprisingly, many people were thanking me and said it was a great class. I was happy to hear that people did enjoy it at end.

Moot

3. Default

It's easy to feel that way when you just have the bike to work with. I get in those ruts all the time. Others have said this but for me, once I simplify and give the class more time to focus on the goal of class it flows better. When I get in a rut I tend to over complicate the playlist and my class ends up being all over the place. For me keeping it simple but challenging works.

4. Default

I am feeling this way lately too. I did 3 races and a triathlon over the summer, so I was training hard and using my classes to help in that! Now that the summer is coming to a close and its back to the grind, I'm losing my creativity and mojo! Would love some new ideas and/or training trends/methods to try in my classes. I've tried looking online, but there isn't much and what I do find is not what I would call effective (i.e. alternating jumps and climbs for 10 sec intervals over 6 minutes...blah) I want to do more drills that push a riders fitness and endurance level over a longer period of time. I've gone back to my Keiser manual too, and revisited some of those drills...anyone know of a good resource..?

5. Default

I am joining this community in hopes of staying fresh and inspired! I've been teaching for about 4 months now and have enjoyed coming up with profiles but it certainly is time-consuming and stretches any creativity I may have. I need to keep things mixed up in order to stay focused and passionate about my classes. I find it helpful to change the focus of each class from an outdoor ride simulation to drills to themed music to a criterion race to a leg of the Tour etc. I really gravitate toward a clean, neat, predictable profile like ladders or pyramids, but I try to reach out of my comfort zone every now and then!

6. Default

I am feeling this way lately too. I did 3 races and a triathlon over the summer, so I was training hard and using my classes to help in that! Now that the summer is coming to a close and its back to the grind, I'm losing my creativity and mojo! Would love some new ideas and/or training trends/methods to try in my classes. I've tried looking online, but there isn't much and what I do find is not what I would call effective (i.e. alternating jumps and climbs for 10 sec intervals over 6 minutes...blah) I want to do more drills that push a riders fitness and endurance level over a longer period of time. I've gone back to my Keiser manual too, and revisited some of those drills...anyone know of a good resource..?

Post summer, post race season funk? You've got the requisite number of posts now so you should have access to some great profiles. What about profiling one of your races?
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

7. Default

When I'm struggling with trying to create a new profile, I try to think about what I would want from a class if I was the one participating. What makes a good class to you? What do you want to get out of this ride? Start with that and see where it takes you!

8. Default

001cy2-300x300
    Really good I'm not the only one and that I can come back from being a little burnt out!
    I think the people in my class feel uninspired when I'm uninspired!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12