Sportsmith 1000 banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nxt pedal sheared

Default nxt pedal sheared

Had a pedal shear off on a NXT a couple of nights ago during class. Thought I had seen a thread about that in here somewhere recently, but have not been able to find it.

Anyone have an insight on this? No one was hurt, and the bikes are only 6 months old.

Have also had multiple lower bearing bracket failures on these bikes, and star trac is going to replace all on our "fleet".

Really like these bikes, but, gives pause to wonder about the future maintenance needs.

Star Trac has identified the issue and tied it back to an supplier. They have severed that agreement with that supplier. I'll post a link later once I find their response to this issue.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RaffCycles View Post
    Star Trac has identified the issue and tied it back to an supplier. They have severed that agreement with that supplier. I'll post a link later once I find their response to this issue.
    Here's the thread

http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.p...=sheared+pedal

Have a great day guys

EDIT: and gals ;-)
    Last edited by 15inchbrick; 05-13-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Thanks for posting the link.

Here is the post on the community.spinning.com forum. The topic name is "Pedal Shearing Off" and contains an response from Star Trac that was posted by TeamMDA.

http://community.spinning.com/spinni...px?PageIndex=2

Quote Originally Posted by twssas View Post
    Had a pedal shear off on a NXT a couple of nights ago during class. Thought I had seen a thread about that in here somewhere recently, but have not been able to find it.

Anyone have an insight on this? No one was hurt, and the bikes are only 6 months old.

Have also had multiple lower bearing bracket failures on these bikes, and star trac is going to replace all on our "fleet".

Really like these bikes, but, gives pause to wonder about the future maintenance needs.
    And don't even get me started about the loose, wobbly handlebars!

Thanks for all the information. It is appreciated.
    Our NXT's as I mentioned are only about 6 months old and now have had 3 lower bracket bearing failures (which the root cause to me appears to be over torquing at the factory where they were assembled), and now one sheared pedal where the pedal screws into the crank. I personally check all the pedals to insure they are tight at least once a week, so I think we have some type of premature metallurgical failure, possibly due to a material supplier issue, as was stated in a link to spinning.com from both Star Trac and Mad Dogg.

Hopefully, we will try to get Star Trac to replace our pedals at the same time they are replacing all of our lower bearing brackets.

I did purchase the manuals from Studio Cycles, and have found them to be very valuable.

Again, appreciate the responses, and it looks like we have not been the "lone ranger"

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HMBgal View Post
    And don't even get me started about the loose, wobbly handlebars!
    All I can say.. they new ones better be fixed. You think they would have fixed it with the first update on the previous ones.

I would strongly suggest subscribing to Jeff's Youtube channel too as he posts videos on a number of topics and you may well find some extremely useful info on there too.

never had this but I can imagine it would be an unpleasant experience.

must remember to double check where that first aid kit is

I had a pedal break break off in class last week - I'm going to have our equipment service provider check all the pedals on the next visit, as it was quite scary! Luckily, nobody was hurt. We have Lemond Revmasters.

001cy2-300x300
    Quote Originally Posted by Krissy View Post
    I had a pedal break break off in class last week - I'm going to have our equipment service provider check all the pedals on the next visit, as it was quite scary! Luckily, nobody was hurt. We have Lemond Revmasters.
    we have Lemond Bikes as well, and have had pedals 'snap' off more than once...scares me to death.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast