PDA

View Full Version : TRIED RPM TOday.........

lrlloyd
08-07-2005, 10:45 PM
As a certified SPin instructor for 6 yrs and a BodyPump instructor for about 3 I was always curious about les MIlls RPM program, their version of cycling.. Well I had the opportunity to take it today and all I have to say it is everything that Spin does not want to be......and rightly so. (BTW I took it from the master presenters so I"m assuming they were right on target with what the class should be....)

With that being said I am a MAJOR fan of Les Mills programs, including BodyPump, BodyStep, BodyAttack etc...but RPM was a major disapointment. No heartrate, no cadence, no sustained moves, stretching on the bike out of the saddle, hovers (yikes... :eek: ) ........basically Aerobics on a bike which I guess is OK for some populations but IMHO does a major disservice to indoor cycling......BUT all that being said I guess some people are totally happy with aerobics on the bike..........BUT I am definitely not one of them....

Just curious if any of you have ever tried RPM....frankly I'm a bit disappointed cause I thought at least I'd have a bit of fun....I didn't.............

BrusselsSpin
08-12-2005, 03:10 AM
Hi Spin Freak

Yeah, I totally agree with you 100%. One of the clubs I taught at changed over to RPM last year and I had to leave - couldn't teach it as it went against everything I believe. And always the same music and profile .... I'm sure some people like it but your analysis is spot on.

SloSpin
08-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Okay, here is my take on RPM.
(For the record, I am Spinning certified, and teach one Les Mills program – BodyFlow)
From what I have seen by taking classes and watching some of the quarterly releases, there is a lot to be said for this format. Yes, they go fast at time, but the training -as shown on the videos – is to ALWAYS resistance, and it is a fair amount at that.
(The quarterly releases and video refer to the programs choreography that is sent out to instructors every 3 months, and the music that goes with it)
Now, as for repetitive or boring, here’s what most LMI instructors do. We mix and match. Yes, there is a certain order of things (Always a warm up first, easy ride comes second and so on…) but within that order we can switch out songs form other releases, keep the program fresh and fun.
What I like the most about RPM are the cues they use and the power.
I find that true RPM classes are a kick in the butt, high in energy and safe!
Again, just my take on RPM... be kind. :)

Holmj
08-16-2005, 09:16 AM
I think Rpm have changed - for the better !

J

bikerchick2
10-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Inquiring minds want to kNoW, what is body pump exactly? I love to lift free weights, is this a type of free weights workout?:confused:
bikerchick2
I know it is a little off the subject. I have never taken a RPM class. So I can not commit on that subject. BUT...I will tell you I hate to just count RPM's, is this what you do?

alexkaboom
10-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Additionally to what Tolzer has contributed, you must be a BodyPump certified instructor and must be employed at a certified facility to buy the releases, otherwise they will not allow you to buy them.

I am a BodyPump and BodyStep certified instructor, I quit the certified facility I worked for and they will no longer sell me the new profiles and/or music... which I guess makes sense for them for copyright and trademark purposes BUT I feel I totally wasted my certification money... Since then, BTS has split from Les Mills International and become an independent entity altogether... now I must re-certify in their programs... so forget that!

I feel that although their programs are fun and most of them sucessful they hinder instructor creativity and, if you are a brand-new instructor, will bore your audience as you will be doing the same workout for three months until you pass the exam and purchase the next release.

My $0.02...
Alex

SloSpin
10-20-2005, 08:24 PM
(Steps up to soap box...) :)
Alex, one way we keep the Les Mills programs from going stale is that we can mix up from diff. releases. The track order stays the same, but one can mix and match from any number of releases.
Second, by having the "moves" given to us, we have run to play with our cues and help member find new ways to feel and work.
Yes, I am all for being creative and original, but sometimes it's just nice to have a "script".
(I don't teach RPM, but do teach BodyFlow which is Yoga-Pilates-Tai chi. And yes, I also teach these 3 on their own...)
Peace,
D.

PS:
BTS will allow you to jump over and teach at a BTS club without haveing to re-cert.
Of course, IMHO, BTS is a major step down from LMI. :)

alexkaboom
10-21-2005, 11:23 AM
SloSpin, you are right... you mix and match tracks, providing you keep the same order of tracks. However, I was reffering to "new" instructors... they can only purchase one (1) release until they receive confirmation that they have passed the practical exam... if the facility is starting with the program, participants will do the same workout until instructors pass the esam and are 'allowed' to buy additional releases.

Once they are allowed to buy more releases, they'll need to buy each one ($30-$35 range) and mix and match as necessary.

I think the bottom line is, it works for some clubs/instrutors and it doesn't for others...I think the "script" is a good idea for those that teach many different classes a week and preparation time is too much or don't have enough experience yet to put together a quality class. IMHO.

Alex