PDA

View Full Version : Workouts in a Binder for Indoor Cycling

mandi
02-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Has anyone read/used this? I was thinking about buying it, but wanted some feedback from Spin certified instructors. Thanks!

Funhog
02-15-2010, 12:31 PM
You're talking about the one by Dirk Friel?

If so, it's truly excellent. It is designed for a cyclist to use on a trainer, not necessarily on an indoor cycling bike, and the workouts are VERY cycling specific, designed to help a cyclist increase performance. I use them often as baselines for my IC class profiles.

There is no fluff in these workouts! Some are very tough intervals above threshold, some right at threshold, some are steady state endurance based. You get it all.

In order to get the most out of these workouts, I would read the Cyclist's Training Bible (written by his father, Joe Friel) to increase your knowledge of the different periods, verbiage and cycling applications he refers to. Things like cruise intervals, tempo, pedaling drills, etc.

mandi
02-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks, yes that's the author! I'm an instructor and was hoping it would help me out in class by giving me some new ideas. Are the workouts something that I can turn into Spin profiles? I will look into ordering the other book as well.

Cheeze
02-15-2010, 04:21 PM
I second what Jennifer posted. There is a lot of good information in the first 25 introductory pages but the profiles are very cycling specific workouts. Not a lot of pazazz (sp). If you purchase the book and use the profiles I suggest you make sure you spend some time with the profiles and make sure you understand how the profile addresses the goal so you can dilute it down to the level of fitness in your classes if warranted. If you are just looking for profiles I recommend the Heart Zones books. In those books there is a nice explanation with each profile.

My Slice Of Cheeze

LAWOMAN
05-02-2010, 09:34 PM
If you are looking for some quick profiles to start your indoor cycling "career" off, do not spend your money on this book. These are great workouts for competitive cyclists. The workouts are challenging, but imo, repetitive, and somewhat boring. Maybe this book could inspire someone to put together a profile for indoor cycling, but it hasn't been my experience. I have received much more inspiration from Pedal-on.

LAWOMAN
05-02-2010, 09:39 PM
I highly recommend "Keep It Real" by Jennifer Sage, aka Funhog. She knows her stuff and her book was and still is an awesome resource for me. It is well worth the $20.00!

owl_girl
05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
I really like the book! I bought it for my own workouts on my own road bike on the trainer for yucky days. I wear my Garmin while doing the workouts. Sometimes, I download the info from my Garmin and then design a profile for cycling class based on the graph. I'll print the graph and send it around the room so the class can have a visual of what the ensuing workout is going to be like. I think my class likes doing workouts that I have done on my own bike. The like the realism! Like Jennifer says..."keep it real!" :D