PDA

View Full Version : I did it!!!!

spunkee
08-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Hey guys,

Well yesterday was the big event (triathalon) and it went really great! The ocean temp. and conditions for perfect - thank goodness and it went by pretty quickly. The bike portion was my favorite part - all flat roads, and the running portion went ok - it got pretty hot by that point. I wore my h/r watch for the bike and running portions and knew exactly where I wanted to be - between 80 - 85% and it helped me tremendously!! I finished in one hour and 25 minutes and ended up winning a medal for 2nd place in my age group - which was a nice added surprise. It was a great experience and I can't wait until the next one - maybe an Olympic tri? I want to thank you guys for all of your advice - it was really helpful - especially you spin bob - you guys ROCK! rgds, Spunkee

RaffCycles
08-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Congrats!!! Well done!!!

matteobma
08-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Excellent !!! Fully reached target :)
Bravo Spunkee!

keifer
08-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Congrats on completing the race and making the podium :cool:

kayguidera
08-20-2009, 12:18 AM
yah who greatr job kay:)

CycleGuy
08-20-2009, 12:52 AM
congratulations, but be careful...it's addictive...

toffy
08-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Good job!!!
Congratulations

Keep going

myriadgreen
08-26-2009, 08:06 AM
I did my first Tri about a first month ago (am wearing my tee shirt now!) and had a fantastic time. The cycle part was my favourite bit too - possibly due to practising my Spinning tracks and the intense workout I got when I got my initial certification in June.
It is such a great achievement to take part and complete a Tri, let alone do as well as you did! :D

Kellyanngray
06-10-2011, 01:36 PM
I have been wanting to do a tri...I read what you said and it has motivated me to do it.

Courtneyleigh
06-12-2011, 02:38 PM
That is amazing! I have always wanted to do a triathlon. But have only completed a duathlon. I am however inspiring our younger generation(my students) to compete in a Kids of Steel Triathlon this summer. Our local tri- club has a great modified program that they bring to schools in order to help promote the Huronia Triathlon. Kids in Grade 3-5 compete in 3 events; scooter board on their tummy(to simulate swimming), biking a block around the school and running the distance of the field. Then we get to choose 2 students who then get free registration into the local event! Such a great idea!!

Vivienne
06-12-2011, 05:13 PM
That is amazing! I have always wanted to do a triathlon. But have only completed a duathlon. I am however inspiring our younger generation(my students) to compete in a Kids of Steel Triathlon this summer. Our local tri- club has a great modified program that they bring to schools in order to help promote the Huronia Triathlon. Kids in Grade 3-5 compete in 3 events; scooter board on their tummy(to simulate swimming), biking a block around the school and running the distance of the field. Then we get to choose 2 students who then get free registration into the local event! Such a great idea!!

In the context of multi-sport, it's a good idea not to refer to completing a duathlon as "only" doing so.....atleast in the company of those of us who "du" rather than "tri".

I'm not a great swimmer and, although we have a pool and I'm the one who does the "pool boy" thing and feel a bit like I should have some return on my investment, the reason I don't care for open water swimming is that no-one can convince me that Nessie''s extended family aren't there below the waterline plotting to drag me under. Additionally when Dr. Baby and I did the Gold Coast Father's Day du/tri from Port Washington LI a while back (she Tried, I Did, Dr. Daddy carried the bags) she observed that she'd never stood in ankle deep water before and never been able to see her toes before....that's Hempstead Harbour for you....just sayin'.

BUT.....and it's a Big One...that second run off the bike when you haven't had the luxury of swimming a bit for the first leg sucks like a Dyson. Almost enough to make me brave Nessie's extended family in Sherborn Pond this Autumn.

Vivienne

CycleGuy
06-12-2011, 11:16 PM
In the context of multi-sport, it's a good idea not to refer to completing a duathlon as "only" doing so.....atleast in the company of those of us who "du" rather than "tri".

I'm not a great swimmer and, although we have a pool and I'm the one who does the "pool boy" thing and feel a bit like I should have some return on my investment, the reason I don't care for open water swimming is that no-one can convince me that Nessie''s extended family aren't there below the waterline plotting to drag me under. Additionally when Dr. Baby and I did the Gold Coast Father's Day du/tri from Port Washington LI a while back (she Tried, I Did, Dr. Daddy carried the bags) she observed that she'd never stood in ankle deep water before and never been able to see her toes before....that's Hempstead Harbour for you....just sayin'.

BUT.....and it's a Big One...that second run off the bike when you haven't had the luxury of swimming a bit for the first leg sucks like a Dyson. Almost enough to make me brave Nessie's extended family in Sherborn Pond this Autumn.

Vivienne

Does the pool boy? And your references in other posts to being a trophy wife?

Vivienne
06-13-2011, 05:11 AM
Does the pool boy? And your references in other posts to being a trophy wife?

Nice try.....but don't be putting words onto my keyboard with selective quoting.

FWIW, I originally did write the sentence the way the way you're suggesting and changed it to "does the pool boy THING" specially to pre-empt those with their minds in the gutter from poking fun.

Vivienne

mgiles
06-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Way to go!

old spinster
07-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Now you can take that one off your bucket list.

magbarlog
08-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Congratulations on the completion of your first triathlon!!! Couple more years and you will be ready for the "Ironman", grand daddy of them all. I wish you continued success and good luck.

suitor
08-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Awesome I'm too nervous about the swimming portion to try one.

dvgale
08-15-2011, 02:04 PM
I wore my h/r watch for the bike and running portions and knew exactly where I wanted to be - between 80 - 85% and it helped me tremendously!! I finished in one hour and 25 minutes

Wow! Just came across your post, Spunkee! First off, Congrats on your achievement! Hope you've enjoyed similar challenges and successes in the interim two years. Holding your HR to 80-85% is quite remarkable for 1 hr 25 min - I'm glad to be able to do that on a 40-45 minute row (I have a single scull shell I row for fun and fitness on my lake at home in summer :) )! Best wishes and blessings always.

Pink
08-15-2011, 08:59 PM
I, too, just saw this. Congratulations Spunkee! What a wonderful accomplishment and it sounds like you have a lot of fun. 2nd place! Yay, you!

myriadgreen
08-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Awesome I'm too nervous about the swimming portion to try one.

Never be afraid of the swim. If it's a decent group, they'll have waves tailored to your speed, so if you think you're going to take ages, you'll be put in a wave with similar abilities. Try a tri or a duathlon if you dont want to swim. They're both fantastic!

spunkee
08-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Wow just happen to come across this thread and can't believe I am still getting replies to this post bc it was over two years ago that I did triathlon. Sad to say that I have not competed in any since then but thank you for your nice words. Maybe one day I will try another one! Spunkee

Pink
08-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Congratulation on a excellent race! May the successes keep coming!

fatboy
09-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Congratulations, I remember the feeling after my first one. Keep at it they just get better!

delta4ever
09-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Absolutely! I did my first triathlon (an Olympic) when I had a 3 month old to help get the baby weight off, when she was 5 I did my first Ironman. Awesome!

ahmitabha
09-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Congrats!!!

jhobaichan
09-27-2011, 12:03 AM
That is amazing. I wish I had the time to train like that. I have two toddlers and grad school. Getting in spin is a wonderful outlet. Congrats.

iheare
10-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Congrats! Would love to try one but the swimming freaks me out!