PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition

mobyd
04-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Does anyone discuss nutrition in their classes? What to eat before or after a spin class? What types of foods do you suggest?

Jpgirl
04-05-2009, 08:48 AM
You have to be very careful when discussing nutrition. It's very easy to step over the bounds on our scope of practice. If I get questions I direct them to other resources. I will talk about what I eat but clarify that with telling them that they need to seek professionials in that area.

Dura-Ace
04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
You have to be very careful when discussing nutrition. It's very easy to step over the bounds on our scope of practice. If I get questions I direct them to other resources. I will talk about what I eat but clarify that with telling them that they need to seek professionials in that area.

It was for that reason I was curious as to why this thread exists here.:confused:

veranda
04-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Does anyone discuss nutrition in their classes? What to eat before or after a spin class? What types of foods do you suggest?

There's so much information about nutrition out there. If I have any article or scientific research about nutrition I share it with my students as an FYI during the warm up. I follow up by e-mailing them the article/information/research. Ultimately they have to make that decision on what works well for them. I know I am not helping here with specific foods, but if you take re-certification, there's a whole chapter there about nutrition and food groups.

PedalFaster
04-13-2009, 04:54 PM

Before class I eat complex carbs. A small bowl of corn flakes works.

After class I drink 8 oz. of skim milk and eat a banana (within a 2-hour period after finishing class).

markelmarcel
04-13-2009, 06:58 PM
One of the best snacks (to me!) after a spin class is a peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread. And sometimes, I have a peanut butter & banana sandwich. Yum. Top it off with a glass of milk--- perfection! :)

RaffCycles
04-14-2009, 08:34 AM
I teach at 6:00 AM and have a lot of "rise-and-ride" students who don't eat anything prior to class. I tell my classes they should be properly fueled before class so they can perform well. I do not give them how much or what type of foods, but do recommend they eat something prior to class (on the drive in) so they can "load the tank" before class.

veranda
04-14-2009, 08:55 AM
I teach at 6:00 AM and have a lot of "rise-and-ride" students who don't eat anything prior to class. I tell my classes they should be properly fueled before class so they can perform well. I do not give them how much or what type of foods, but do recommend they eat something prior to class (on the drive in) so they can "load the tank" before class.

Check this out:http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Fitness/story?id=3590913&page=1. It recommends not eating 2-3 hours prior to exercising, and if you have an early class, last night's meal should be enough for fuel to get you going in the morning.

RaffCycles
04-14-2009, 10:16 AM
If you can get to this article in American Fitness, you may see just the opposite results for the ABC article.

Here is the citation:

Title: Fueling for Peak Performance.
Author: Clark, Nancy
Source:American Fitness; Jul/Aug2006, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p32-33, 2

The article references a great study on exercise and timing of meals in SCHABORT, E.J., ET AL "THE EFFECT OF A PREEXERCISE MEAL ON TIME TO FATIGUE DURING PROLONGED CYCLING EXERCISE." MEDICINE & SCIENCE IN SPORTS & EXERCISE 31, NO. 3 (1999): 464-71.

the article by Clark indicates the consumption of 0.5 grams of carbohydrates per pound of body weight within the hour before exercise. Obviously this depends on what your stomach can tollerate.

veranda
04-14-2009, 12:55 PM
If you can get to this article in American Fitness, you may see just the opposite results for the ABC article.

Here is the citation:

Title: Fueling for Peak Performance.
Author: Clark, Nancy
Source:American Fitness; Jul/Aug2006, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p32-33, 2

The article references a great study on exercise and timing of meals in SCHABORT, E.J., ET AL "THE EFFECT OF A PREEXERCISE MEAL ON TIME TO FATIGUE DURING PROLONGED CYCLING EXERCISE." MEDICINE & SCIENCE IN SPORTS & EXERCISE 31, NO. 3 (1999): 464-71.

the article by Clark indicates the consumption of 0.5 grams of carbohydrates per pound of body weight within the hour before exercise. Obviously this depends on what your stomach can tollerate.

The recertification manual seems to echo what the abc article talks about. Under Guidelines for Competition/Intense Training, it suggests to eat a large meal 4-6 hours before training, and a much lighter meal 2-3 hours before training.

As I mentioned before, there's a lot of info about nutrition out there and everyone should apply that info to what works best for them, their hunger and satiety signals.

CycleGuy
04-15-2009, 01:36 AM
The recertification manual seems to echo what the abc article talks about. Under Guidelines for Competition/Intense Training, it suggests to eat a large meal 4-6 hours before training, and a much lighter meal 2-3 hours before training.

As I mentioned before, there's a lot of info about nutrition out there and everyone should apply that info to what works best for them, their hunger and satiety signals.

There's no way I am getting up 2 hours before a 7:00 AM ride to eat. I wake up hungry and need to eat (body has been burning calories as I slept). Once I eat, it is off to ride.

I will get up 3-4 hours before a competition to eat, then return to bed for another hour or so before getting up to leave. And I will have something light then.

It is what works best for the individual. I am very comfortable training right after eating (cycling, swimming or racewalking) - I once ate 13 donuts 20 minutes before teaching an aerobics class (some type of high-low class) because nobody wanted any. After class, I went back to the donut shop and got some more :D

veranda
04-15-2009, 06:26 AM
CycleGuy;81931]There's no way I am getting up 2 hours before a 7:00 AM ride to eat.

Judging from the time of your posting, if you weren't eating, what were you doing at 2:30 am:rolleyes:? On the hind-side, I don't want to know it;)

I once ate 13 donuts 20 minutes before teaching an aerobics class (some type of high-low class) because nobody wanted any. After class, I went back to the donut shop and got some more :D

:eek:Were those munchkins or real big donuts? Do you own one of those T shirts that say: I always run so that I can eat donuts!:D

CycleGuy
04-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Judging from the time of your posting, if you weren't eating, what were you doing at 2:30 am:rolleyes:? On the hind-side, I don't want to know it;)

That's your time zone...I am on the wet [sic] coast of the continent.

:eek:Were those munchkins or real big donuts? Do you own one of those T shirts that say: I always run so that I can eat donuts!:D

They were the real deal. Boston Cream, Maple Cream, Lemon Fills, Blueberry, ... Hmm, there's a Tim Horton's Donuts next to my office...

NJSpiner
04-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Man I wish Tim Horton's was in NJ! Their Maple Cream Doughnuts ROCK!
They were the real deal. Boston Cream, Maple Cream, Lemon Fills, Blueberry, ... Hmm, there's a Tim Horton's Donuts next to my office...

markelmarcel
04-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Man I wish Tim Horton's was in NJ! Their Maple Cream Doughnuts ROCK!

Had to giggle.... we went from talking nutrition to donuts! :p

PedalFaster
04-16-2009, 07:49 PM

mobyd:
After all the banter, did you get what you were looking for? (The answer to your question)? This thread seems to have gone in some not so helpful directions...just checking...