PDA

View Full Version : The use of Keiser M3 handlebars

SpinderRella14
12-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Does anyone know the "correct" way to use the Keiser M3 handlebars? The community program I work with purchased the M3 bikes! I currently am Mad Dogg certified. The new handlebars in the middle look just like my aero bars, but I am not sure of the proper way to use them! thanks for any input!!!!

spinrgirl
12-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi there!
I am MDA certified but got Keiser certified as well since we have those bikes at one of the clubs that I teach at. They are wonderful bikes and apparently much research/improvements were done compared to the last model. There was much debate regarding if they were going to put the 'aerobars' on these bikes, and obviously it was decided that it was a good idea.
Personally, I don't use them (even though I am a triathlete), and I ask/plead/request that my students don't use them either. Sitting in an aero position (when not properly conditioned/set up properly) puts immediate pressure/compression on the lower back, causes you to collapse onto the handlebars- impairing your breathing, and very simply, you don't 'need' to be aero in an indoor class (no wind :o). This being said, I always say that if there are those in class who are experienced riders whose bodies are used to being in this position and they are set up for being in this position...then it is fine by me how they ride (I always give my riders the saftey info, dos and don'ts and let them make the judgements for themselves). Typically, when a rider is in the aero position (as in triathlons) the setup of seat position and pedals is different from regular road riding. That is why there are road bike and Tri bikes.
ANYWAYS, I don't think there is a proper way to use this part of the handlebars in an indoor cycling class,b ut you always have those who ride on them the whole time. The best we can do is to educate on the contraindications, benefits of riding with proper form and then let them ride how they see fit.
Hope this helps! :p

Robert
12-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Even if you really wanted to train in an aero position, the M3 bars are not the way to go - as they can't be adjusted forward/backward, it will only be suitable for a very narrow band of riders.

Oh, and the fact that the head stem moves away from the seat post, makes it even harder to get into a proper aero position. Plus the computer gets in the way!

CycleGuy
12-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Even if you really wanted to train in an aero position, the M3 bars are not the way to go - as they can't be adjusted forward/backward, it will only be suitable for a very narrow band of riders.

Proper aero position means the hips are rotated from the standard bike position to allow the hip joint angle to remain open. Proper aero position means the shoulders are above the elbows (not behind as I often see). Proper aero position means the chest/rib cage/lungs are left open and are not compressed.

Riders (triathlete & road TTs) who use aero bars a lot outdoors have typically spent a great deal of time getting their position set up correctly on the bike (or they should). How long do they spend setting up an indoor bike? How many components do they get to switch out to get a good, safe, efficient position on an indoor bike?

I have just come in from a four hour ride outside. Likely spent 90% on the aero bars (traffic signals, other road hazards). I cannot get comfortable using the aero bars on the Keiser nor the LeMond (which I teach on). I don't ride them in that position.

If someone chooses to ride aero position in my classes I have a two step approach (which typically results in them no longer riding aero). Step one, verbally describe the requirements for a good aero position (because they are in such). Step two, work with them after class to get them into a proper aero position and explain further why the points are important. They end up be uncomfortable and 'not feeling like their road bike'. They typically end up feeling it is too uncomfortable to do it properly on an indoor bike, so don't.

Oh, just realised that I do use the aero bars on indoor bikes and I do encourage their use: great place to mount an iPod and to hang a towel.

SpinderRella14
01-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Thank you for your help and input :p

veranda
02-16-2009, 08:19 PM
I was faced with the same challenge re Kaiser M3 bikes. You guys are so good at explaining these things. Thank you so very much!

wh8sox
02-21-2009, 09:25 PM
I think they are a great towel holder.