PDA

View Full Version : Snow cancellation policy

woodieknot
02-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Here in the Northeast, we get snow. And when we get snow, depending on the amount, travel can be difficult. My question is this. What is the policy at your gym regarding the cancelation of the AM or PM class? AM seems to be the sticker here. Only due to the fact that the gym opens up at 5AM and the class starts at 6AM. Notification of cancelations are not handeled very well as far as I'm concerned. Seems it's too early to call me and let me know or notify me the evening prior.

I have gotten to the gym at 5AM to workout prior to class only to find a notice at the front desk stating all classes have been canceled!

I'm wondering why! If the gym is open, shouldn't the classes go on and let the participants decide for themselves if they want to risk driving in adverse weather conditions to attend the class?

The personal trainers don't cancel their sessions. Why would the gym cancel classes?

Discuss.

alexkaboom
02-23-2005, 11:03 AM
I live in the Northeast too and at my gym we go by the town policy, if public schools have cancel classes then, our classes would be cancelled too... there is however no formal policy in notifying the members directly.

I teach two 5:30am classes during the week and so far this year no classes have been officially cancelled because of snow... not even for the biggie we had after New Year's!!!:rolleyes:

There was one class cancelled because nobody showed up right after the Red Sox won the World Series... you see the priorities here.... :p

Alex

JFK
02-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Our facility cancels the 9 and 9:30 a.m. classes if the town the gym is in cancels school (or if there is a delay). Strangely enough, this policy does not include the 5 a.m. and 7 a.m. classes. Weird. It does make my life easier when I am trying to figure out what to do on a snowy day. But I would not be a happy camper with the ambiguity surrounding the earlier morning classes.

woodieknot
02-25-2005, 08:56 AM
I subbed this morning for one of our other instructors who is on vacation. The director asked me in person to do so. Wouldn't you know, it snowed last night. So here we go. I get to the gym at 5AM with my wife who takes my classes from time to time. I knew there wouldn't be a big turnout but when the weather gets like this, I get 6 or 7 hearty souls that brave the weather and want to ride.

Here's the thing. A couple that rides together calls the gym at about 5:15 AM and talkes to the person at the front desk who opened up at 5. She askes if there will be classes. He says, "I know the person who is supposed to instruct isn't and I think the classes are canceled because of the snow." In other words, not only does he not know who is subbing, but doesn't even have a clear cut answer on the cancelation of the class. He knew I was there, maybe not to instruct, but he didn't even think to ask me if I knew who was teaching and if there was a class anyway. And why would he state the class was cancelled if he didn't know for sure?

Luckily, the couple decided to come to the gym anyway and were so happy that there was no cancelation of the class. And 5 others showed up for a really great ride too.

I'm going to rant to the director and let her know about the confusion. Partly her fault for not informing the front desk who the sub was. Partly the fault of the guy at the front desk for saying the class was canceled when he didn't know for sure.

Does this happen to anybody else? Seems it just snows when I teach!

Thanks for the oportunity in providing this forum for my ranting.

Woody