PDA

View Full Version : Rider with buring knees

spinneridol
10-29-2008, 08:08 AM
I have a rider in my class who has been spinning for several months. She is complaining that when sprinting her knees begin to burn. Her bike set up looks correct and she is not sprinting with low or minimal resistance. She says she is fine at any type of steady pace whether flat, climb or hill. It is just any type of faster pedaling.

Her knees are not flaring out and her form looks good. She says she has had knee problems in the past but no surgery, etc.,

I did not want to take a health history from her in class and she could not stay afterwards to discuss it further with me. I advised her I would ask instructors with more experience than myself.

I am concerned because of the risk for injury and I want to do what I can to prevent her from hurting herself.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Chuck

Pink
10-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Chuck, I think you did all the things within your responsibility. You checked to make sure she was set up correctly and you made sure she was riding safely (resistance/cadence). The only thing I would do, is ask another experienced instructor to eyeball her settings, just to be safe. Is she clipped in? Maybe there's something with her cleats.

She obviously should go to a doctor to have it investigated properly, especially if she's had on-going problems. If she doesn't have any unlying problems and she's cleared to exercise, I'd suggest the obvious: don't sprint. She can get a great workout without sprinting.

One other thought comes to mind: ITB. Is it on the outside of her knee? If so, that could be it.

Let us know if you come up with a solution.

Funhog
10-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Don't sprint.

Problem solved!

Sprinting is a specialized activity. It's very hard. Hard effort, high cadence, hard on the body even if "done correctly". Some people are just not meant to push their bodies that hard, or for their joints to go that fast.

She can find the highest cadence she can maintain with good form and no pain, and stick to that. It might be 90 rpm, or 100 rpm. Stay away from those supra-100 rpm cadences.

spinneridol
10-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks so much for the guidance. I will advise her as you both suggested and post next week on her status. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post about this.

C.

amybatt
10-29-2008, 01:06 PM
As one recovering from overuse injury on the bike...I'm curious to know where it burns on her. Is it more muscular or under and around the knee cap? Mine is knee cap related and I've been told to lay off the bike until it doesnt hurt/burn/twinge anymore, if it ever does. When I do try the bike, doc says low cadence and low resistance, no hard grinding away, which is what she's doing in a sprint.