PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of the Marathon Movie

billpierce
01-28-2008, 02:43 PM
There was a one time showing of the movie, Spirit of the Marathon, in theaters nationwide last Thursday. A summary with a neat trailer can be found at www.marathonmovie.com (http://www.marathonmovie.com). It's a documentary of six runners - 2 elites and 4 normal people - as they train and run the 2005 Chicago Marathon. I thought that it was very good. It could have been more technical and focused on the details of the runners' training and races, but that wouldn't have been interesting to the non-runner. They could have taken a more emotional slant, but that would have been too much drama for runners. They took a nice path down the middle and appealed to runners and non-runners alike. The photography was brilliant. I knew a lot of the history, but it was still interesting to see it portrayed without getting too bogged down in it. The fact that it was in Chicago made it more interesting to me, since I live here and am familiar with the lakefront scenery and race course.

There will be an encore showing on 2/21. I strongly recommend seeing it, even if you aren't a runner or even an athlete. The web site should list the theaters that it will be appearing at.

MJonsey277
01-30-2008, 07:50 AM
I saw the trailer at the movies the other night. I've always wanted to run a marathon (I've done a 1/2 marathon) and I think this is the year for the real deal. Live in Columbus, Ohio and we a have a great course and lots of support. Will try to make the Feb 21st showing.

jjmadson
01-30-2008, 11:00 AM
I tried to get tickets for January, but it sold out here in Madison. A lot of Wisconsin folks run Chicago. I did 4 years ago and am thinking about doing it again in a year or trying to get into New York.

My friend, who ran Chicago this past October-when it got shut down b/c of heat- said it was great and a must see for any runner!
Jenn

billpierce
01-30-2008, 06:44 PM
A lot of Wisconsin folks run Chicago.
Jenn -

I'm the opposite. I'm an Illinois folk who runs Milwaukee, 5 of the last 6 years including 2007. I really enjoy the course, the volunteers, and the limit on the number of runners. NY is my all time favorite marathon, so I'd suggest that you try to get into their lottery. If you don't succeed, consider the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon over Chicago this year. Seeing the movie on 2/21 will definitely motivate you. Try to buy tickets on line in advance via Fandango.

jjmadson
01-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Bill-
Will do and will think about MKE Lakefront too. Is it as flat as Chicago? I sure did appreciate the lack of hills!
Jenn

billpierce
01-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Bill-
Is it as flat as Chicago? I sure did appreciate the lack of hills!
Jenn
Actually, it's a bit hillier than Chicago, but it's downhill. How hilly can it be in Milwaukee? It's much flatter than Madison. You can probably check the elevation on the web site.

Think about being able to run at your own pace for the entire race versus not being able to until half way into the race due to the crowds.