PDA

View Full Version : People who work 40 hours

FXjohn
11-17-2004, 08:54 AM
How did you find the time to get certified?
Can you work 40 hours and still get the training?
We have 2 spin instructors at my YMCA.
One is just miserable, I might give it a shot.

John

go2outof3
11-17-2004, 09:04 AM
I have a full time job and would typically spin after work. I took the certifcation on a Saturday so it did not interfere with my job. I teach classes after work and I really enjoy it.

If you have the desire, go for it. It is very rewarding. I enjoy teaching and I enjoy my students.

Linda

carolinagirl
11-17-2004, 10:25 AM
I work 40 hours, and I am on call also. I got certified because we had trouble finding instructors in the evening and often the participants led the class. Now I know I will spin on the days I teach, and it is very cool to get paid to work out. Also, my energy level is much better on the job because of the exercise. My only problem; I have trouble finding a sub. when I need one. When I am on call, I clip my pager on my mic belt; my class is understanding.

vsmith
11-17-2004, 10:33 AM
The certifications that are available are very good about having weekend certifications. This would be very worthwhile to explore. It is hard sometimes to squeeze everything in but just remember, the hardest part of wroking out, is getting there!

megale3
11-17-2004, 12:02 PM
At first I was "doing the do" for me. I had a lot of reasons to instruct, money (yah right) ,the work out, the glam (again right) and I thought I like my music better ;) Then as I have aged to it and have a little humility in the form of CD's that didn't play and Lance Armstrong wanna-be's doing ever CI move that Jennifer R has yet to add to her ever growing list of "I can't believe they still have disks in the cervical, thoracic and lumbar" or how about the GM of the club taking the side of the person who came in 20 minutes late and has never done a class-has no water bottle or towel and wants that last bike which is broken sitting in the corner. You get to where you just want to relieve the glory days and keep riding to the instructor that was going through the same thing that you are now and slap the hell out of yourself for thinking like "its all about me" :eek:

Back pedaling for a second- I really love to see when someone gets inspired to do the work that it takes to change themselves that is my reason now for “doing the do”.
Meg :cool:

alexkaboom
11-17-2004, 02:28 PM
I work 40+ hours a week at my day job and sometimes it's challenging... I love spinning and I think to me, profiles and music come somewhat naturally so many of my classes flow together, I guess I'm lucky... however, for some of my other classes I find myself frustrated sometimes with the preparation time... remember, instructing is not just about walking into the studio and coaching a class but about your dedication to make a difference and make sure you are prepared and ready to answer questions or address concerns. It is totally do-able, as long as you are commited and keep that "spark" alive. Continuing ed is also very important, and as mentioned in another reply, they are very accomodating to "desk jockeys" like us.

Tip: If you have a desk job like me, bring your music to work and listen to it if you can, sometimes my best ideas for a profile/class come to me while working on a report or doing something unrelated... keep paper and pencil handy and practice when you get home. I take my manuals/books with me to work and read at lunch time.

Good Luck
Alex

go2outof3
11-17-2004, 02:49 PM
I have to agree with Alex. I bring my music to work and listen while I am working. It is amazing the visualization ideas and profile ideas I get by just listening to the music.

jrspinnerman
11-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Certification courses offered in Ontario Canada, to my knowledge, are offered on weekends. My hours of work average between 48 and 60 hrs per week. I had no conflicts with my regular work schedule. Teaching classes during the week were really no issue either as I would have likely been at the club working out myself anyway:)

rafisusan
11-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Just to throw my two cents in, I've worked 40+ hours a week and taught fitness classes in the evenings and weekends for 25 years. I've used vacation time and paid time off from the day gig to pursue the refinement of my passion; many times, I've felt envious of those seasoned professionals who were able to make a fulltime living in the fitness industry.

I can honestly say that teaching fitness has given me confidence, poise, an outlet for my creative impulses, and a way to connect with people that I could never replicate in my 'corporate' life; in fact, were it not for the edifying experience of my classes, I could not have held it together for 25 years of rising to the bell at 5:00 a.m.

If you're one of those lucky people who has truly found their calling and life's work, I salute you. For the rest of the 'drones', find your passion (be it spinning or dabbling in pastels) and pursue it with abandon! Be grounded in your 'work' while your spirit seeks new heights, and then watch where life takes you! It's an amazing ride!

JILBEAN
11-17-2004, 04:32 PM
It is so inspiring to see all the posts from people who lead spinning "on the side" just because they love it!

To join in the fun- here's my story:

I decided to get certified because I had fabulous instructors for the first 3-4 years I was participating in indoor cycling, then I moved and my new gym had a horrific indoor cycling program, if you could even call it that. Suddenly I developed a strong passion to show the poor people at my new gym who didn't know any different, just how much fun the class could be.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get certified at that gym, due to excessive work responsibilities. However, I got my first certification after being in my current location for only 3 weeks. The program here was already fantastic so I was just excited to be part of it. I am preparing to move again and hope that my next location (anyone in Tucson, AZ??) will have a good program but if not I intend to create one. :)

I work 50+ hours a week and though it is challenging at times, I am able to teach 2-3 classes per week and usually ride in 1-2 more. It is easier for me to go at lunch because my co-workers are really understanding and I have mastered the art of uber-fast showering in the locker room. :) The certifications haven't been a problem at all - the only issue I have had tied to working and Spinning on the side is finding time to make music. My current inventory of prepared CDs isn't as large as I'd like and I have been known to use a CD several times but I just keep mixing them up and making new CDs when I can. Luckily my class seems to like my music and often requests certains songs to be played over and over again...

Although I like my job, I anxiously await the day I can make fitness and spinning my "full time job".

Ciao
Jill

carolinagirl
11-18-2004, 11:10 AM
I drive an hour to and from work every day. I listed to my cd's and think of profiles/memorize the profiles while I am driving. If I hear a good song on the radio, I write it down for future CDs.

Dutchie
01-26-2005, 04:32 AM
I've taught 2 evenings a week (4-5 classes) for 8,5 years besides my 40h office job. Because I just moved and now have to drive 40-45 min to work (one way) and am still getting used to that (used to be a 15 min drive or 25 min bike ride) I decided I only want to teach 1 night a week.

Certification has never been a problem since over here all the certs are on weekends.

42rebecca
01-27-2005, 03:27 PM
I too picked up the fitness bug while already working a full-time job and all of my certifications have been done on the weekends. Spinning is the most recent certification I've added and seems to be the most challenging. I've done aerobics for so long that I find it hard to turn down the "cheerleader" in me and be more quiet in class. I'm just now getting comfortable with compiling song lists to make my own CD's.:D

GoSpin
01-27-2005, 09:04 PM
I also work 40 hours a week for the great State of Ohio! I instruct two cycling classes a week plus teach Pilates! I also find myself listening to CD's at work and designing new profiles to change things up. I spend a lot of time on my computer creating the perfect profile and putting music to it. Spinning/Cycling is my creative outlet - I absolutely love it.

I mentored an awesome Spin Instructor and found myself wanting to create my own rides - the ideas were flowing in my head so that's when I decided it was time to get certified - that was almost 5 years ago. I love the continuing ed classes for both my certs and learning gives me more fuel to create great classes for my students!

Just keepin the wheel rolling........

GoSpin ;)

24spinngirl
01-27-2005, 10:48 PM
:o Gosh!
Just like everyone else, I listen to music in the car and @ work :D
At work I like to see if I can feel the hill, flat, sprints,what ever come to my mind. I also barrow music from everyone that will let me down load it to my computer. I may not like a song at that time but, I my later :) Some songs I think :eek: what were they thinking but then I will really listen to the words and it might just be a great song after all :p I always have CD"S in the car.
I do work 40 hrs but, I work a 12 hr shift 4 days and then do classes. I have 6 classes all cramed into 3 days :eek: Thursday I have 3 classes AM, Noon, PM. Friday I have 2 and saturday1 :) Than I start my other job on Sunday.
If I need certs I take time off same with vacations. I think, I rambled enough

24 :)