PDA

View Full Version : Good Book for Summer Reading....

spinguru
05-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Just finished "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards. Very moving story, with lots of twists and turns. Intended it to be my beach read this Summer, but ended up polishing it off on the train going back and forth to work -- I couldn't stop reading it. While I suspect the ladies may enjoy this the most, it's a good read for anyone.

fitfan
05-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks for this. My sister read this book awhile ago and recommended the title but couldn't remember the author. I'll have to pick it up.

jumpingbean
05-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the tip about the Kim Edwards book, is it out in paperback?
Just finished The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman. Talk about a fine read that keeps you hooked! JB

lilrubie
05-23-2007, 09:08 PM
OOoooohhhhhhh..... I love to find out good book titles!!

I just finished "water for elephants" by Sarah Gruen.
I really liked Isabella Allende - "Daughter of fortune"
And Jim Fergus - 1000 White women and his other one about Indian History, I can't remember the name.

jumpingbean
05-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Leslie,
You and me both! Thanks, I am all over those books! I like you, love, love, love a good lead on a book! I've heard about Water For Elephants.......you're the second person that recommended it, so it's a done deal. JB

jsejt
05-24-2007, 06:43 AM
I'm reading "The Woods" by Harlen Cobin.

Fabulous!

dessertqueen
05-24-2007, 08:48 PM
I read that book recently, too.
Here's one for you, "The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets" by Eva Rice--it was very good. I'm reading another book right now, and i'll let you know if it's any good when I finish it! Have you read the Jennifer Chiaverini series on Elm Creek Quilting? (sorry, I forget the exact titles.) I have read and enjoyed them all and am now holding onto the fifth book, and it is waiting next in line to be read.
Next on my reading schedule are three books on office management that I ordered from the library. Not so much fun.... but necessary!
~~Read-on~~
brenda

spinguru
05-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Yes, it's in paperback :).

I also picked up Amy Tan's new book - Saving Fish From Drowning. I absolutely loved The Joy Luck Club, so I'm looking forward to this one. A friend recommended it.

Thanks for the other recommendations ladies -- I love summer because I can finally read for pleasure instead of for class! (Taking a break from school this summer :) ).

fitfan
05-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Here's my contribution: I just finished reading "Naked on the Page: The Misadventures of My Unmarried Life" by Jane Ganahl.

ChrisA
05-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Any other suggestions? I am leaving for a long weekend tomorrow night, and am making a B&N run after work today. Too bad my sister doesn't work there anymore :( no more discount.

I heard A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini is good....any thoughts? I have The Kite Runner at home, which I have not started yet.
I just finished Wicked as well.

amybatt
05-30-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns right now. I loved The Kite Runner and I would recommend reading that first, not that you need to, but I can't speak to "Suns" yet. So far it's a bit slow going, but I'm only 30 pages in.

I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, which was a great beach read this weekend. If you liked the books like Memoirs of a Geisha or any period stories set in Japan, this would be right up your alley. I learned a lot about Japanese culture and particularly the role of women. Plus it was a fairly good story.

MJonsey277
05-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I read "The Glass Castle" by Jeanne Walsh. Great summer read - very quick.

Just picked up "Water for Elephants". Has anyone else read this one??

jsejt
05-30-2007, 03:44 PM
I read "The Glass Castle" by Jeanne Walsh. Great summer read - very quick.

Just picked up "Water for Elephants". Has anyone else read this one??

Just wanted to ditto "The Glass Castle" great summer read.

amybatt
06-04-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns right now. I loved The Kite Runner and I would recommend reading that first, not that you need to, but I can't speak to "Suns" yet. So far it's a bit slow going, but I'm only 30 pages in.

Just an update, I have gone into overdrive with this book. The story is very compelling and has me almost missing my stop on the train just to finish a chapter. I'm about half-way through and it is very true to the form we loved in The Kite Runner. Hopefully it will hold till the end, I should know in the next day or so.

I see Ian McEwan has a new one out tomorrow, On Chesil Beach. I'll be hoofing it to Borders at lunchtime for sure for that one.

amybatt
06-08-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns right now.

Finished it this morning on the train. A fabulous story. Very disturbing and certainly eye-opening about the goings-on in Afghanistan. I was pulling for the two female lead characters so strongly that at two points in the story I exclaimed and audible "OH NO" (again, on the train)....I just got so pulled into the story, I felt personally affected by what happened.

If you liked The Kite Runner, you will love this. Sometimes it is hard for us to feel bad for people in that part of the world, but this helps to remind us that there are some there still struggling too.

Funhog
06-10-2007, 08:46 PM
If you want an amazing book to learn about other cultures in the Middle East, read Birds Without Wings, by Louis de Bernieres. It's about Turkey and the Ottoman empire at the turn of the century, up to Gallipoli. Pre-WWI to post-war, and the amazing differences in tolerance and beliefs. Before, the Christians and the Muslims and Armenians and Greeks co-existed, lived next door to each other and even cared about each other, connected through friendship, history and intermarriage. Afterwards, they learned to hate each other. You will laugh and cry on the same page, you will not want to put it down. You will love many of the characters from all the various religions (especially the Imam and his white horse), and you will hate others. Everyone has good and evil in them.

It's very enlightening and entertaining at the same time, with some very funny parts, and of course, includes the horrors of war.

Jennifer