PDA

View Full Version : Performance enhancing substances

raptor
03-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Has anyone here "doped?" Thought about it? What's your experience?

I think it's not illegal to consume (swallow, inhale, inject) substances for personal benefit, unless those substances are specifically prohibited. So if you've got growth hormone, or steroids, or yak urine or whatever, you are permitted to consume or use it if you feel it will boost your performance, make you feel better, prolong your life, attract female yaks, etc.

Many substances are regulated, which means it's not legal to import some of these supplements without a license, or to dispense them to others without prior approval. Other aspects of law apply, but my impression is that the main restrictions on "doping" are the rules regarding competition, not so much criminal laws.

You can dope and "it's a free country." But you can't compete while using it, depending upon the rules for your competition. If you do and are caught, you should of course be bounced unceremoniously out of the event, and potentially charged with fraud.

But outside of competition, is it moral, a good idea or not...?

Lynn

Lizardbiker
03-16-2007, 12:53 PM
100% organic here - although I enjoy competition, the ultimate goal for my cycling and exercise is overall health. I'm not about to crap up my body just to squeeze out a little more speed and risk blowing a gasket.

veespin
03-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Has anyone here "doped?" Thought about it? What's your experience?

I think it's not illegal to consume (swallow, inhale, inject) substances for personal benefit, unless those substances are specifically prohibited. So if you've got growth hormone, or steroids, or yak urine or whatever, you are permitted to consume or use it if you feel it will boost your performance, make you feel better, prolong your life, attract female yaks, etc.

Many substances are regulated, which means it's not legal to import some of these supplements without a license, or to dispense them to others without prior approval. Other aspects of law apply, but my impression is that the main restrictions on "doping" are the rules regarding competition, not so much criminal laws.

You can dope and "it's a free country." But you can't compete while using it, depending upon the rules for your competition. If you do and are caught, you should of course be bounced unceremoniously out of the event, and potentially charged with fraud.

But outside of competition, is it moral, a good idea or not...?

Lynn

Well, I've popped a couple of the old (i.e. Ephedra based) Herbalife tablets on occasion.....quarterly payroll tax returns due, houseguests arriving at the weekend and a messy house with only the evenings to take care of it etc. I'm totally comfortable with my doping......if it's good for the US military, it works for me.

In fact, I'm majorly pi$$ed off that Sudafed etc. has been taken off the supermarket shelves......like I'm going to be cooking up a batch of crystal meth!.....

Actually, there's a lot of restriction on what you can obtain legally (and therefore consume).....which is a bit of a crock considering how easy it is to talk an unnecessary prescription for antibiotics (with repeat prescriptions, no less) out of a time crunched physician.....and that really is a public health problem.

Vivienne

spinnningmama
03-17-2007, 05:31 PM
About 4 years back, i took metabolife(ephedra) for about 3 mos.. loved it.Gave me great energy.until i went for a checkup because i was "shedding" alot of hair in the shower..(I had a previous check up maybe 5 mos before, and then this started..).. Went from good blood workup to hypothyroid and I cant help but wonder if I had messed with my metabolism and threw off my thyroid or if it was just coincidence.... either way...100% organic from there on out...

britspin
03-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Caffeine doesn't count? Blue smarties (M&Ms)?

veespin
03-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Caffeine doesn't count? Blue smarties (M&Ms)?

They're probably banned in Utah.

Vivienne

FlyBy
04-29-2007, 04:12 PM
I have nothing at all against people who supplement their workout with artificial, performance enhancing products (whether they be M&Ms, steroids, yak urine). The only judgement I pass is on myself, and for me I am not ok with introducing anything non organic into my body. I like to accomplish physical feats (like running on my toe nails, hanging from the ceiling by my belly button, and climbing the stairs on the tip of my nose) with the knowledge that I have done so with pure hard work and natural inclination. Period.

(And no, no drugs for childbirth!):p

supermario
05-03-2007, 08:45 AM
From what I could tell, almost every drug or supplement is prohibited while involved in competition when consumed beyond an accepted level. Some are allowed because of a 'monitoring program' , but I have seen a list that includes caffiene if beyond a certain level. The list includes things that aren't necessarily performance enhancing too. Probably because you could endanger others, like with the use of cannabinoids (marijuana) or drugs that relax you and slow your reaction time. Most categories include the sentence "or any other substance with a similar chemical structure" that way if someone uses something not on the list, they can be penalized, fined, etc. Here is one source:
http://www.usantidoping.org/files/active/athletes/2007%20Prohibited%20List.pdf