PDA

View Full Version : OW! Shin Splints?

melanieann
01-26-2007, 11:09 AM
My right shin has been killing me all day. I have been working out like a demon for the last few weeks and I just tried Willpower & Grace and have been doing that for 2 weeks. It's a barefoot workout and I think it's the reason I have shin splints. The wierd part is it's only in my right shin. What can I do for this?

rick316
01-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Massage:eek:

billpierce
01-26-2007, 11:26 AM
I have no clue what Willpower and Grace is, but shin splints are pretty common in runners, so I can recommend a few things. The remedy for any overuse injury is RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. Take time off, ice the injury to reduce swelling, keep it rapped, and elevate your leg. Once the discomfort has subsided and you're ready to go back to working out, there are some specific stretched and strength exercises that you can do for the shin. They are hard to describe, but easy to illustrate. You can probably find some on the internet or I can try to type some desciptions. Working out in bare feet could be the cause of your injury and could potentially lead to plantar fasciitis.

MetalQueen
01-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi. Hope this helps.

When I used to run (or when that was my main form of exercise) I had a HUGE problem with shin splints. I empathize because they can be VERY painful.

Ice for one thing;
Rest (altho I know how hard that can be, you can do non/lo-impact exercise, like maybe bike riding!!!):
If you do run, try to run on grass, dirt or soft surfaces (tar is softer than cement if you run on the road);
If you HAD BEEN wearing sneakers, I would suggest a new pair. If you run alot or do alot or aerobics sneakers only last about 6-9 months. Altho they may look new, you've worn them out;
99% of the population need the stability and shock absorption a pair of sneakers will give them, unless you are just doing yoga I would strongly suggest always wearing your dogs.
Lastly, once you are "healed" there are a few exercise you can do to strengthen that muscle, if you need a couple, I'll give them to you when you feel better. I think that is your anterior tibialis muscle and happens to be a very sexy muscle when toned!!!!!

Hope this helps, only know this bcz I've been there.

Good luck.

Deb

megale3
01-26-2007, 11:50 AM
go ahead Deb give up the exercises I would like to hear some good ones
Meg

Todd S
01-26-2007, 11:57 AM
.... I'll give them to you when you feel better. I think that is your anterior tibialis muscle and happens to be a very sexy muscle when toned!!!!!

...and don't for get to regularly stretch your gastrocnemius/soleus muscles.

MetalQueen
01-26-2007, 12:41 PM
OK...I could give you 2 of them and wish me luck trying to describe them.

The first one is easy to describe and works your gastroc as Todd suggested as well. It is important to have the opposing muscle group strong as well to help support the other muscle.

Basically you just rock forward and back on your feet - rolling forward onto your tippy-toes (movement slightly exaggerated) and rolling back on your heels with your toes pointed up also slightly exaggerated. You could hold on to a bar if you have balance issues (that exaggeration may facilitate a need to hold on to something).

Also using a body bar (that's what they call them at the gym, they range in weight sizes from 6 to 12 lbs. I think) place tip of bar on top of foot and just flex your foot up and down (while standing of course and holding the other end of the bar in your hand; not trying to state the obvious, just trying to give a visual).

Also standing on one leg and rotating your ankle one way (circular) then the other - also incorporates the gastroc somewhat.

OK...I said 2 but there's three.

Putting mind into muscle also helps.

Deb

britspin
01-26-2007, 01:01 PM
I have several pairs of these allegedly almost like bare foot shoes (Nike Free)..I like them, wear a pair all day at work, most evening at home.
They offer little cushioning & I have run in them, but not far & wouldn't go much further...about 5k suits me, keeping to softer surfaces.
Theory is the foot gets strengthened, more stable & able to resist & distribute running impacts, I only waffle on as this may help out once the pain subsides.
Self massage as suggested is great, exercise ant tib & gastroc by sitting on the floor, legs straight out in front & pull toes to shin, point toes away, alternate.
I did read somewhere recently that RICE is getting the reappraisal treatment & some injuries fare better with a steady, controlled return to activity, with little rest....incr blood flow aiding the healing process is the theory, but I guess that depends on the injury.

melanieann
01-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks for all the advice! My leg is feeling better today. I'm going to keep doing those exercises that Metal suggested. I think they helped along with resting and icing. Thank you so much!

Oh, Willpower & Grace is a barefoot workout that combines yoga with strength training. It's very challenging.

ucali
02-12-2007, 12:08 AM
I've found one good exercise for strengthening your shins/preventing shin splints to be 'wall taps'. Basically you lay on your back, knees bent at 90 degree angles with the soles of your feet planted firmly on a wall. Try alternating lifting your toes off the wall and tapping them as your heels remain firmly on the wall. You should last about 30sec-45sec before you feel like :eek:
Rest, then repeat. I recommend using a stiff soled shoe (spin shoe is a plus)

Hope this helps!

Ali

mitymo
03-02-2007, 04:43 PM
As a runner I suffered unbelievable shin splints which eventually lead to a stress fracture. The exercise prescribed to me was to walk on my heals for about 100 feet once a day to strenghten the anterior tibialis(The above post sounds like it will do the same thing).

That along with ice. I reccomend using a styrofoam cup to freeze the water in. It makes it easy to ICE massage your shins. Just keep peeling away at the styrofaom.