PDA

View Full Version : New Hip - Is it safe to ride again?

Willie
01-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi All

I have been cycling for about 5 years and leading rides for about 2 years. Arthritis has been doing its job on my right hip and two weeks ago I had a total hip replacement. My new hip is all metal and is not held in with either screws or cement. It has a porous coating that my tissues will grow into to hold it in place (and it is a very tight fit - a sledge hammer was used to drive it into place). I am 47 years old. My hip is recovering very nicely. I expect to be able to walk without support (crutch) within the next week.

Has anybody had their hip replaced or know someone that has and still takes or leads indoor cycling classes? How has it worked out for you/them? My biggest concern is the implant loosening over time. I do use a full pedal stroke (push down and pull up). Will the change of force from down to up and back repetitivly loosen the implant? Should I only apply pressure on the down stroke? Keep resistance on the easy side while still being safe?

My Doc is not that familiar with cycling, either indoor or outdoor, but he says I should be able to ride again in a couple of months. I have talked to my physical therapist. He understands cycling and understands my questions but has no answers. He is looking for studies and talking to other folks that might know the answers to my questions but has not found anything yet.

I was hoping someone here has been through a hip replacement or knows someone who has that could offer some insight and answers to my concerns.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Willie

Pink
01-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Willie,

Wow, that's quite a procedure. I'm so glad it is behind you and you are looking ahead. I am sorry that I have absolutely experience with a hip replacement & cycling but I didn't want to ignore your post.

I am surprised that your surgeon can't provide you with more information. Hopefully your PT will uncover something. Can anyone contact the manufacturer of the artificial hip? I'd think they would have some information available.

Best of luck and I truly wish you many pain-free, active years. Continue to check in because I will be very interested to hear how you progress once you are back on the bike.

ACinNJ
01-02-2007, 04:56 AM
Any correlation with the surgery Floyd Landis had? There should be some stress related information available, or at least a reference point for a second opinion on hip replacement and cycling.

I'm surprosed there would be nothing published that the surgeon would have at his disposal, given this fairly famous procedure?

ChocolatePizzaRedWine
01-02-2007, 06:51 AM
My dad had a hip replacement this summer and now rides his recumbent trainer several times a week. (He liked recumbents *before* the operation, not as the result of...)

I'd be surprised if it was a problem, but really your doctor should know and advise.

Willie
01-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks
Great ideas. If I learn anything I will post a follow up.

Thanks again
Willie