PDA

View Full Version : An Inconvienient Truth

ACinNJ
12-28-2006, 02:25 AM
If you have not seen this yet, I strongly recommend you rent it. I waited until I could watch it on a plane uninterrupted with external distractions. It is a very engaging and poignent look into the real crisis for the world, global warming.

Remember that in 2000, Al Gore received more votes for president in the US than our "elected" president. You wonder what happens to a relatively young man who sees his lifelong dream taken by a system of lawsuits and ridiculous balloting escapades in Florida. Amazingly enough, Gore's role in life is much more relevant that the person elected to be a leader of the free world. Gore is trying to get the world to just renew itself.

With the revelation this morning about the polar bears becomming an endangered species, the present administration has had to acknowledge the existance of the global warming reality. Take 2 hours of your time and sit and watch this film. Watch it alone without distractions so you can use your own reasoning skills.

Scared the cynicism out of my dumb ass.

Lizardbiker
12-28-2006, 04:57 AM
Maybe Al Gore can invent a global reboot (or restore to last known good configuration) to go with his invention of the internet.

veespin
12-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Watched this on Christmas Eve. I wouldn't ordinarily have bothered since I don't usually look too hard to be convinced of what I'm already pretty sure about, but one of daughter's cronies came over for dinner and brought it with her. I agree with AC.....and then some.

Such an ability to understand and explain complex topics......as big a contrast to our current leader as you could possibly imagine.

Vivienne

Alaricnj
12-28-2006, 03:30 PM
This documentary was wonderful. I must say that Ive gained much respect for Al Gore after watching this. This should be watched by everyone and viewed in classrooms around the world to show how destructive we are to our environment.

This documentary clearly shows without a shadow of doubt that we have a serious problem in our world.

I watched this then I watched the documentary Who killed the electric car? which is also a very good documentary to watch, it amazes me how much power Oil Company have on us.

The government always say the following We need to depend less on foreign oil. Well I think the correct line should be We need to depend less on all Oil. They would never say that line since they are all in bed with them.

After watching this I really hope one day Gore decides to run again; I would love to see him run Id donate a bunch of time to help his campaign. He has much passion in his voice on this subject and other political issues; you just know he truly cares about the US and the world.

Mike

Todd S
12-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Thirty years ago, we were headed into another ice age.

Now... Global warming.

The big question is not whether global warming exists, but whether or not human activity is causing it and whether or not we're simply in the middle of some natural climatic anomaly.

ACinNJ
12-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Thirty years ago, we were headed into another ice age.

Now... Global warming.

The big question is not whether global warming exists, but whether or not human activity is causing it and whether or not we're simply in the middle of some natural climatic anomaly.

There was a crisis with the ozone a while back. Aerosol can manufacturers stopped using flouro-carbon gasses. The ozone renewed. The point in the presentation is that without a doubt, humans are the cause of what is happenning now. The changes in the ice caps, diminished sizes of glaciers from satellite photography...the visual proof. And confirmed by the administration this week in relation to the labeling of polar bears as endangered species.

At some point, people may finally stop politicising this issue. Time to turn off Rush Limbaugh on this one and listen to some scientists. Not one denies that we are in a state of global warming, it's the pace of the crisis left to debate. I'd rather see common sense changes happen sooner than later.

See the DVD..then just state what the disagreement would be.

It's easy to poke fun at Gore. He's delivering a message that no one really wants to hear. Better to listen to his evidence. See how much fun you want to make of him now.

megale3
12-28-2006, 06:29 PM
I think that we all need to consider the bike a new convience. I hope that someday we will be out of work cause everyone uses them for transportation-work to eat
work to eat
eat to live
live to bike
bike to work
Your kids deserve a future
Meg

Lizardbiker
12-28-2006, 08:44 PM
I think that we all need to consider the bike a new convience. I hope that someday we will be out of work cause everyone uses them for transportation-work to eat
eat to live
live to bike
bike to work
Your kids deserve a future
Meg

I like that saying! Is that a Meg original? I want to give proper credit when I steal it :)

megale3
12-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Its a BTA ( Bicycle Transportation Alliance) saying here in Portland I wish I had
Meg

Pink
12-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Hmmm interesting timing for Gore, we don't have another election coming up in the near future do we? He lays low at the last election, just peeking his head up above water every now and then so we don't forget about him. Now he draws attention to this problem (which I agree there is one) and then he proposes what should be done and then he has enough time to make an improvement and has the proof that it was indeed his doing and well then he can be our hero! And what do you know by Nov '08 people are just begging for him to run for president.

I don't know just a thought. It's a very clever tactic I will say.

OH alright I'll go see it, I guess I'll have to mute it and read the captions (gross smiley) :)

However, he was well aware of global warming before his run for the presidency. He had been active in environmental issues for years and years. What ticked me off during his campaign was how obviously he allowed himself to be handled, rarely allowing the real Gore to show through. So much so I often wondered who the real Gore was.

Meanwhile, I'm still driving my 3 year old Prius and pretending I'm making a difference.

ACinNJ
12-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Hmmm interesting timing for Gore, we don't have another election coming up in the near future do we? He lays low at the last election, just peeking his head up above water every now and then so we don't forget about him. Now he draws attention to this problem (which I agree there is one) and then he proposes what should be done and then he has enough time to make an improvement and has the proof that it was indeed his doing and well then he can be our hero! And what do you know by Nov '08 people are just begging for him to run for president.

I don't know just a thought. It's a very clever tactic I will say.

OH alright I'll go see it, I guess I'll have to mute it and read the captions (gross smiley) :)

Don't forget, when we did vote, he got more than the person annointed president by the Supreme Court.

With a 29% approval rating with the present occupant, should we be so cynical when intelligent people aspire for the office? Or, as Steven Colbert puts it, 71% approve of the job he isn't doing.

I'm in England this week. I visited France also. Our dollar has almost no value over here. Our president is mocked at every opportunity here. I would say, the heck with them, but we all occupy the world together. We have little moral standing lately with common people. You wonder how we squandered the moral high ground of 9-11. Our country should stand for more than just a military force. We're going to need more competant leadership to solve a lot of complex problems. It has nothing to do with liberalism or conservatism. It's more of an urgency for competance.

So..just watch the film. Then add a comment.

And read this...which is more frightening.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16390346/

gilberth
12-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse comes this:

Due to pressure from Bush Administration officials, the National Park Service is not permitted to give an official age for the Grand Canyon. Additionally, a book claiming the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood is for sale at the National Park's bookstore.
Howard
Next stop the Middle Ages

ACinNJ
12-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse comes this:

Due to pressure from Bush Administration officials, the National Park Service is not permitted to give an official age for the Grand Canyon. Additionally, a book claiming the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood is for sale at the National Park's bookstore.
Howard
Next stop the Middle Ages

Both Charles Darwin and Sir Isaac Newton are buried and enshrined near an alter at Westminster Abbey in London. Tell me how the churches reconcile this?

britspin
12-30-2006, 03:57 AM
According to reports here Bush lost any moral high ground after 9-11, when he allowed the Bin Laden family to flee the US to Saudi, when he did not consider that armed retaliation without due consideration would always swell the ranks of the extremists, when he invaded Iraq with no good reason, then changed the reason, when our dumb poodle of a PM got dragged into the lies & deceit about Iraq & allowed the UK to become public enemy No2.
On a side note our fabuolous press here is getting in a lather about Blair holidaying at the mansion of a Bee Gee in Florida, (did he pay, who did he pay, vested interests etc etc), meanwhile a car bomb goes of in Kabul, a land mine in Afghanistan, its reported as flat facts, no background, so it seems we could be chipping away at his credibility because of a holiday, not because people are dying, does this look wrong to you?
Sorry, I will stop ranting now.

Alaricnj
12-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Just see the movie everyone, you can debate Gore's political tactics later. Gore has been fighting this fight for awhile, it just not gotten alot of attention from the media until now. :)

Mike

raptor
12-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Todd, you haven't seen the movie. If you had, you would either be disputing the value of the science like an oil baron, or agreeing that we are facing a very serious problem(s).

The science changes, but it's always a more dangerous trend. Anyone who declares that global warming is a hoax is ignorant. Period. In some cases, it's willful ignorance and that is not excusable in my view.

We're SO screwed. With the trends as they are, reversing them in time to avoid major environmental change is impossible. There's no way we're going to retreat to 1970 emission levels, and every day we delay we're releasing several times the levels we released then. And THOSE 1970 releases were enough to spike atmospheric CO2 above any previously measured/deduced. At current levels, we're way off the chart in terms of even being able to predict the response of the environment in whole or in part. The Third World will be devestated, with more wars as a result. But the changes to come will be so big that even our civilization will not be able to shield us from personal effects.

I remember watching Gore on CSPAN in 1991 when he was running as Clinton's veep candidate. It was a hearing on global warming. He also wrote Earth In the Balance in the late 1980's.

I predict that within five years, the Arctic ice cap will melt. Completely. Then re-form, smaller, in Winter.

Greenland's ice will melt within 10 years. The sea level will rise forcing the displacement of 10's of millions of people.

Within 20 years, famers in Kansas and Nebraska will have to change from growing wheat to growing rice and cotton. Farmers in Texas will grow... I don't know. Utah's and Colorado's mountains will start to look more like Nevada's. Lovely.

I also predict that Gore will finally declare his candidacy, and will win easily. Currently, he says repeatedly that he has no intention of running. He'd rather continue his one-man crusade. But there is no more effective way to crusade than to win the presidency.

Lynn

gilberth
12-30-2006, 10:54 PM
In between The Great Decider's afternoon bike ride and Laura's bedtime story, there's barely enough time to consider Iragmire. Global warming will just have to wait. In the meantime continue shopping.
Howard

Pink
12-31-2006, 07:33 AM
Sticking my neck out here and stating my deep belief that the major source of all our problems is over-population.

jsejt
12-31-2006, 08:05 AM
I'd like to jump in but my neck would be completely removed. ;) :D

ACinNJ
12-31-2006, 05:18 PM
We may have a future candidate on pedal-on! ;)

Without changing this to a Gore issue, I have to say that I saw something on the history channel last night where they were talking about the probable ways the earth would end. And global warming was the top reason they predicted would end the world. They referenced an inconvient truth, but I still haven't seent the whole thing. I say that if each person does thier part and try's to stop this from happening than we will be better off. So anyone out there who is not actively participating in doing their job, they will be sorry....by the way what's our job again? :D They gave all the information and scary pictures, but did NOT focus on what each person can do as a solution.

Like the show I watched last night, if it's not global warming, it will be yellowstone errupting again...big time, or disease, or a nuclear war, something...the end of the world will happen when it's the earth's time.

Thanks for bringing this up, I needed a reminder to love my mother earth, regardless of politics, or scare tactics! :)

You're role, as well as all our roles, is to reduce CO2 emissions. Use rechargeable batteries. Vote for candidates that will legislate for changes. Patronize companies that have "green" friendly products and policies.

Unless you truly believe that there will be biblical prophesies bringing the end of days, use common sense. If you don't Gore as the messinger, at least look at the evidence and pictures. The rebuttal to the argument is to shrug your shoulders and say the Earth has always renewed itself. Wanna take that gamble for your kids?

I started wondering where I'm going to be living in 20 years. I'm only 20 miles inland from the Atlantic. Iowa? Tennessee?

raptor
12-31-2006, 09:55 PM
We may have a future candidate on pedal-on! ;)

Without changing this to a Gore issue, I have to say that I saw something on the history channel last night where they were talking about the probable ways the earth would end. And global warming was the top reason they predicted would end the world.

The world is going to be just fine, thank you. :)

Once or twice in the world's lifetime, most life has been extinguished or forced to adapt severely. Millions of species have come and gone. Humanity just needs to keep in mind that WE are a species.

I think that our job as individuals is to play our role in this democracy, and vote wisely. Hell, we've elected an oil man, twice! It's one thing to buy a hybrid car or pay extra for green electricity. That's not going to change national policy that keeps flooding our energy supply with oil, that keeps burning cheap coal to power our cheaper machines. I'd happily vote for a candidate who refused to support drilling or exploring for more oil. The first thing we should do is decide that we're going to find "something else" to power whatever it is we're needing to power. Then we go figure out what the "something else" is and get it done.

One of the nice things I've heard Democratic leadership talk about is a "Manhattan project for alternative energy." We should've done that a decade ago. For example, I can't figure out why every vehicle on the road doesn't have solar panels on its roof/hood. They're out in the Sun most of the time, all that energy just going to waste when it could be recharging batteries or something.

We're going to need nuclear power. Even the founder of Greenpeace is in favor of it. I live in Utah, but I'm willing to allow the storage of more waste in our western desert. Just pay for it!

jsejt, I think I know your politics are different from mine. But this issue transcends politics. The science is just there for you to believe or not. I do suggest you watch An Inconvenient Truth with as open a mind as you can. Ignore Gore, look at the numbers and the curves. Then search the web for rebuttals and analysis. The rebuttals are there, but the objective analysis from science types is that the info in the movie is nearly 100% true.

Lynn

jsejt
01-01-2007, 08:50 AM
jsejt, I think I know your politics are different from mine. But this issue transcends politics. The science is just there for you to believe or not. I do suggest you watch An Inconvenient Truth with as open a mind as you can. Ignore Gore, look at the numbers and the curves. Then search the web for rebuttals and analysis. The rebuttals are there, but the objective analysis from science types is that the info in the movie is nearly 100% true.

Lynn>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Being a lover of the documentary, I'll check it out with an open mind. You know it's really hard to watch anything when you disagree with that person's politics. It would be like, if I asked to you watch a documentary on Bush's view on Texas farmland. Kidding aside, I'll put it in the netflix que. ;)

veespin
01-01-2007, 09:44 AM
It would be like, if I asked to you watch a documentary on Bush's view on Texas farmland.

No, it wouldn't.....really.

This is Al Gore minus the spin doctors and the campaign managers and all the hype that goes on around a polititian.

The closest Bush is ever likely to come to a similar public appearance is that footage we saw when September 11th's events were first communicated to him.......minutes and minutes of gobsmacked, pole-axed, deer-in-the-headlights silence.

Vivienne

jsejt
01-01-2007, 11:45 AM
No, it wouldn't.....really.

This is Al Gore minus the spin doctors and the campaign managers and all the hype that goes on around a polititian.

The closest Bush is ever likely to come to a similar public appearance is that footage we saw when September 11th's events were first communicated to him.......minutes and minutes of gobsmacked, pole-axed, deer-in-the-headlights silence.

Vivienne

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know Gore wasn't a politician. My Bad! Funny.

ACinNJ
01-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Pittsburgh. Plenty of room at our house and a HUGE need for great spinning instructors. :)

Well..thanx for the invite...but in 20 years I'm not sure about the demand in the post-glacier world for 75 year old Spinning instructors.

The interesting thing is that I was thinking about speculating on a townhouse in Boca Raton next year. That appears to be a bad idea since that area will be called the Atlantic Ocean in about 25 years.

Pittsburgh appears to have the right distance and elevation. It will probably be called the east coast by then also. See you on the beach in Pittsburgh.

Todd S
01-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Well..thanx for the invite...but in 20 years I'm not sure about the demand in the post-glacier world for 75 year old Spinning instructors.

The interesting thing is that I was thinking about speculating on a townhouse in Boca Raton next year. That appears to be a bad idea since that area will be called the Atlantic Ocean in about 25 years.

Pittsburgh appears to have the right distance and elevation. It will probably be called the east coast by then also. See you on the beach in Pittsburgh.

I'm not an expert like Al Gore, but at some critical point won't global warming lead to global cooling and the next ice age?

If that's the case, the smart long term investment would be that future ski resort just outside of Palm Springs. But I guess beach front property in Pittsburgh does make sense if you're looking to turn the property over real quick to make a fast buck.

Todd S
01-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Todd, you haven't seen the movie. If you had, you would either be disputing the value of the science like an oil baron, or agreeing that we are facing a very serious problem(s).

http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/

:)

raptor
01-03-2007, 08:26 PM
http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/

:)

Worth reading! It's nice to see a critical piece not obviously produced by an ad agency funded by Big Oil.

However, I'll stand by my predictions for the following reasons.

One of their graphics indicates that Earth is warmer than it's been since year 1000. That's a cause for concern for any rational person, given the significant environmental changes that have occurred during that short time. I do believe we've had an actual Ice Age during that time...

From the link:

"If we have really been measuring a warming episode as we think we have, then setting new records for "hottest ever in recorded history" should happen just about every year -- although half a degree over a century is hardly something to write home about -- so there's really nothing exciting about scoring the highest number when looking at such a short history."

Since 1995, we DO learn, almost every year, that "last year" was the hottest ever recorded. I didn't see anything in their analysis of the "hockey stick" temperature graph that put me at ease.

They spend most of their time debunking strictly CO2. Very interestingly so. Our current CO2 concentration is higher than ever measured or deduced. Even if we accept that CO2 has limits on its ultimate contribution to global warming, being well above the entire historical record, and increasing exponentially, is something that should cause serious concern to anyone realizing that there's something - who really knows what? - to the "butterfly effect."

The graphic from An Inconvenient Truth that really hit me in the chest was the 650,000 year deduced record of CO2 versus temperature. Based on one recent study perhaps, that will perhaps be corrected, it showed a strong correlation between CO2 and temperature. And our current CO2 levels and emissions are spiking well above the highest spikes in that very long record.

Global warming isn't about just CO2. It's about particulates, methane, heat islands, ecosystem changes, ocean temperature, etc. When permafrost isn't anymore, when state-sized ice shelves disappear almost overnight, when deserts start moving, when disease vectors proliferate, when Greenland's ice melt starts behaving non-linearly in a way that hints it might slough off "next year," it's time to be concerned enough to change.

An increase in a hurricane's net energy of just a few percent can mean the difference between your neighborhood being destroyed, or having to pick up some shingles and branches.

Caution is usually a good thing.

Lynn

bktenn
01-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Not to be harsh or start a war but this subject is off topic so the door is open.
But ah global warming is real. But not because of abuse to "Mother Earth". But Jesus is coming back to claim his Kingdom and purify this earth of all wickedness and then, we'll see global warming. So if you don't know Him as your personal Saviour I wouldn't worry about driving your SUV or off shore drilling.
Bk

ACinNJ
01-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Not to be harsh or start a war but this subject is off topic so the door is open.
But ah global warming is real. But not because of abuse to "Mother Earth". But Jesus is coming back to claim his Kingdom and purify this earth of all wickedness and then, we'll see global warming. So if you don't know Him as your personal Saviour I wouldn't worry about driving your SUV or off shore drilling.
Bk

This certainly clears it up for me. Let's let those polar bears kmow that their advanced swimming lessons won't be necessary. The Messiah just gave me the OK to get an Escalade.

Todd S
01-04-2007, 10:10 AM
http://www.junkscience.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=266&Itemid=1

ACinNJ
01-04-2007, 10:20 AM
http://www.junkscience.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=266&Itemid=1

The Wall Street Journal...definitely an "fair and balanced perspective" as is Fox News....http://www.pedal-on.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Todd S
01-04-2007, 10:45 AM
The Wall Street Journal...definitely an "fair and balanced perspective" as is Fox News....http://www.pedal-on.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

I know, they're not as fair and balanced as Al Gore. :rolleyes:

Point is, everybody brings their prejudices and preconceptions into what they report. It's up to the reader to explore all points of view and form his/her own opinion. The truth is always probably somewhere in the middle. It's just as wrong to blindly accept the 'environmentalist wacko' point of view as it is to blindly accept the view influenced by 'big oil'.

ACinNJ
01-04-2007, 11:06 AM
I know, they're not as fair and balanced as Al Gore. :rolleyes:

Point is, everybody brings their prejudices and preconceptions into what they report. It's up to the reader to explore all points of view and form his/her own opinion. The truth is always probably somewhere in the middle. It's just as wrong to blindly accept the 'environmentalist wacko' point of view as it is to blindly accept the view influenced by 'big oil'.

And you saw the film? Gore presents nothing but the science in this presentation. No agenda other than it's really happening. Which is not really disputed. The speed at which it's happening is the debate.

There's really nothing wacko to discuss. I drive a car, so it's not like I have much choice. I can't boycott the gas station. It's not really about saving polar bears, or spotted owls, or dolphins in the tuna nets, it's where does the water go after the ice melts...and the ice is melting. Just how fast it melts, again, is the debate.

So, it's typical of the WSJ to redirect the point into counting the quantity of polar bears, which is to appease their right wing readers, or for the religious right to point to the "end of days" prophesies and just leave it in the hands of fate. The science does say there is a cyclical pattern to the Earth's tempetature, however it's a rising cycle and not a constant return to previous temperatures. If there is Armegeddon coming, we can pack lighter. Won't need any heavy outerwear.

It's going to get into the 60's this weekend in the northeast. Big sale on coats on the horizon.

Todd S
01-04-2007, 11:26 AM
And you saw the film?
No. But I did catch the new James Bond flick and I'm hoping to see the newest Rocky film.

Gore presents nothing but the science in this presentation.
But was the science hand picked to support his cause and dramatized to create an emotional response?

No agenda other than it's really happening.
I was born at night, but not last night.

The speed at which it's happening is the debate.
...AND, whether human activity is significantly contributing to the situation. Seems he just sort of makes that assumption.

TRIGUY102
01-04-2007, 11:43 AM
I am away for a month and everyone goes looney. Just a heads up. Penn and Teller got HUNDREDS of signatures at a gathering to ban DiHyrogen MonOxide (Water). and they never lied about the chemical.

Just be care and be (self) educated.

The OG Johnny G

ACinNJ
01-04-2007, 11:45 AM
No. But I did catch the new James Bond flick and I'm hoping to see the newest Rocky film.

Enjoyed Bond...Probably see Dreamgirls first...suggest seeing Perfume when it comes out here.

But was the science hand picked to support his cause and dramatized to create an emotional response?

And the rebuttal points from various sites and WSJ's are also. So, you make an individual decision as to who to believe. Or which hype seems more plausible. And I think we're winning the war in Iraq there also and it's not really a civil war.

I was born at night, but not last night.

I don't spend my day in a turnip truck either, but trading cliches is fun.

...AND, whether human activity is significantly contributing to the situation. Seems he just sort of makes that assumption.

Yep...a big wind will come along soon and just blow the problem away (BTW, I just served up a great straight line for a humorous Gore anecdote there).

Todd S
01-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Yep...a big wind will come along soon and just blow the problem away (BTW, I just served up a great straight line for a humorous Gore anecdote there).

http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/al_poster600x889.jpg

Todd S
01-04-2007, 01:26 PM

...of course conserving natural resources, minimizing pollution, and treating our environment with respect should be the responsibility of all of us as humans. But not swallowing Gore's message hook, line, and sinker does not mean someone doesn't care about the environment.

ACinNJ
01-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Thank goodness he wasn't elected President. Think of all the problems he would have created like:

Using more fuel efficient cars.
Bi-lateral diplomatic policies.
Stem Cell Research.

Who wants to buy into this type of wacko agenda?

ACinNJ
01-04-2007, 03:52 PM
It's incredible what a scam the Gore guy is pulling on us. He must be making a bloody fortune trying to clean up the atmosphere.

Thank goodness for companies like Halliburton and Enron to keep guys like this in line.

veespin
01-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Thank goodness for companies like Halliburton and Enron to keep guys like this in line.

And the Cato Institute.....to make sure that science is looked at the Right way!

Vivienne

Patrick
01-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Just bought An Inconvenient Truth yesterday. The best thing about the film is that it is not an attempt towards lucrative ends, but rather truly informative ones. It intends to warn and inform, as opposed to entertain and earn. This is no blockbuster, and rightfully not.

It's everything I had hoped. It is able to enlist the jargon of the debates, make sense of them. Gore's approach is fresh and atypical in the sense that it is personal. It is not a stab at egotism, like the people who tell you all about losing their mother when you've just lost your's, but rather empathy and personal reflection.

The scope of the movie is decidedly (and sensibly) expansive, but does not overwhelm.

***** out of *****.

Patrick

raptor
01-04-2007, 09:13 PM
It's nice to hear (some assert) that polar bears are doing great, but that just doesn't match the experience of residents of certain Canadian towns on the shore of Hudson Bay. They're seeing more bears in town, skinnier ones. This has been well documented on several TV news programs.

Why wasn't this mentioned in the junk science page, I wonder?

Lynn

Todd S
01-05-2007, 12:28 AM
Could it be that there's two sides to every story and the truth is somewhere in between?

ACinNJ
01-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Could it be that there's two sides to every story and the truth is somewhere in between?

Obviously, but why not just take a leap on this one in the name of environmental protection and not play 'gotcha'?

I watched TV in the locker room this morning and the news was about rising temperatures. It was 2% warmer on average from 2005 to 2006. For the first time in history, there was no snow fall in the northeast in November and December. It's going to be 65 degrees tomorrow and I have to get my Allegra prescription renewed in January for the first time ever. There are buds blooming prematurely in January in NJ. It's just wierd...it's supposed to be cold here...cold like in the high 30's in the daytime and into the 20's at night on average. I actually hate the cold and snow, but you have to be a little concerned when it's like this for 10-12 weeks?

I'm happy to be on the Chicken Little side of this discussion. If I'm wrong, all we've done is improve our gas mileage, use rechargeable batteries, and lower carbon dioxide emissions. Maybe help a few animals, improve the air quality, and actually start up some new industries. Or, there's the other side...do nothing...drive some SUV's, enjoy the warmer climates, and check the tides?

Lizardbiker
01-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Well I for one am going to do my share by riding my bike as much as possible during this warm spell. Even if you're not a firm believer in global warming (or impending ice age) reduction in pollution is good for the environment, reducing the amount of land we are using just to bury trash, and reducing air pollution which also affects our health. Whatever your motivation may be, reducing waste and pollution make sense.

Todd S
01-05-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm happy to be on the Chicken Little side of this discussion. If I'm wrong, all we've done is improve our gas mileage, use rechargeable batteries, and lower carbon dioxide emissions. Maybe help a few animals, improve the air quality, and actually start up some new industries. Or, there's the other side...do nothing...drive some SUV's, enjoy the warmer climates, and check the tides?

...of course conserving natural resources, minimizing pollution, and treating our environment with respect should be the responsibility of all of us as humans. But not swallowing Gore's message hook, line, and sinker does not mean someone doesn't care about the environment.

I don't really see where there's any disagreement. Simple point is, it may or may not matter when it comes to whether these measures will affect global temperatures.