PDA

View Full Version : Pedal surfing

veespin
11-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Had a participant introduce me to a new stoopid move this week. I overheard Danielle mention "pedal surfing" in a workshop at the Summit and assume this is it.

Riding with sneakers but on the uncaged side of the pedal.....or trying to.
Not a total newbie but someone who complained that riding in the cages hurt her feet. Now, all our bikes have the cages one side and the cleat/clip combo the other so, had I allowed her to continue and had she managed a few minutes without injury, she would've found this choice even more painful.

I've had new members coming to every class these past few weeks so this lady had heard the speech regarding the action of a "fixed gear" bike with a heavy fly-wheel multiple times but she was quite adamant that she didn't want to ride with her toes in the cages until she realised that I was even adamanter that class wasn't going to start until she did.....I think this is one contraindicated move that's a gua-RON-teed accident about to happen so I felt justified in my adamantness as compared to, say, a saddle that's a bit too low.

Doesn't want to spring for bike shoes, BTW, since she "only comes to a few classes".

Now some of the errors that class members make can be excused by simply not knowing any better but I can't imagine how anyone could see this move as in any way safe, quite apart from the inability to generate any power.

Vivienne

danielle
11-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Viv,

Partaicipants are either clipped in, or in the cages, period... Let this member know it is mandatory due to liability reasons... Get management involved if you have to ... You don't want to lose your house and car.

Danielle

veespin
11-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Viv,

Partaicipants are either clipped in, or in the cages, period... Let this member know it is mandatory due to liability reasons... Get management involved if you have to ... You don't want to lose your house and car.

Danielle

Already ahead of you, there, Danielle.

To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to what you were saying about "surfing" at the TSI Summit because I just didn't think anyone would be so daft.

I didn't have to get really confrontational about it, BTW......this particular class has a lot of participants who try very hard to follow everything I say to the letter, so the occasional Libertarian doesn't get a lot of support. I also think it did sink in that, without being attached to the pedals in some way or other, you have zero control.

Like you said, though, some things are beyond "contraindicated"

Vivienne