PDA

View Full Version : CBC: Talking to Americans

gilberth
08-17-2006, 10:15 AM
After watching these hilarious and embarassing interviews I worry
whether our fellow Americans is lerning enything in skool.
H.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCgbNhnfSBQ

soflgal
08-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Gilberth,

I have to thank you for sharing that I could not stop laughing. I just loved it, it's sad but funny!

JFK
08-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Can all those people really be that unaware? Are we sure they weren't in on the hoax? Maybe the presence of a television camera rendered them dumb...(what can I say, I'm an eternal optimist, hoping those folks aren't quite that, um, stupid.)

It reminds me of when a newspaper goes out to find out who knows what the first ammendment really says. It's terrifying how little so many people know.

topdoll
08-17-2006, 01:25 PM
I think that it also shows how little people listen to what is being said to them. If you watched the people, most of them were more interested in the camera and the guy with the microphone than what he was talking about. And, in the interest of not looking dumb, they just agreed with the affirmative tone that he was rendering in his questions.

Of course, some of them just plain embarassed themselves.

And, really, who doesn't want to see the heads at Mt. Rushmore lobotomized?

soflgal
08-17-2006, 01:35 PM
What I want to know is how many people actually questioned him on his questions. They don't show the smart ones do they?

jsejt
08-17-2006, 02:05 PM
What I want to know is how many people actually questioned him on his questions. They don't show the smart ones do they?

Exactly! (no I'm not a defensive american) ;)

gilberth
08-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Some of our leaders can appear to be less informed than a bowling ball.
No, I'm not referring to the Decider but to a congressman who while sponsoring a bill to place the Ten Commandments in public places couldn't name more than one of them (Cobert Report).
Howard

jsejt
08-17-2006, 03:19 PM
No, I'm not referring to the Decider but to a congressman who while sponsoring a bill to place the Ten Commandments in public places couldn't name more than one of them (Cobert Report).
Howard

Hilarious! TIVO devotee of The Daily Show & The Colbert Report.

JFK
08-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Howard

Why does this not surprise me? The reason for creating the public school system is that a democracy requires an educated electorate. I'd say we have not succeeded. When you see interviewees such as in this video (which is, granted, not necessarily a representative sample) you realize why we get the leaders we do....

megale3
08-17-2006, 06:04 PM
:D Jen if the leaders don't need a education why do we :D Is that village idiot still missing in Texas?

bikerchic
08-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Being born in Canada, and having earned my American citizenship last year, I have a unique perspective. If we did the same thing (made a movie) starring ignorant Canadians, I have no doubt there would have been similar stupidity found among the Canadian masses. I feel that, for the most part, the Americans on the tape are just gullible and genuinely trying to be polite. This was all done for entertainment value and for the sake of making fun of the American psyche. Sad that some people in other countries harbor hard or perhaps jealous feelings that are only expressed by making fun of people. I've met brilliant and stupid people in both countries. I've also been one of those that was brought up to think that the American school system wasn't as good as my Canadian system (could be true) and the people in America were vain and wrapped up in themselves(probably isn't true). I have to say that I truly love the American way of life and I realize now, that the population in the U.S. is so beyond that of Canada, there is no way to compare our ways of life. Canada has 32 million people with twice the land as the U.S--While America has 289 million people. We're bound to have more stupid people here, eh?:D

gilberth
08-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Bikerchic,
A growing number of Americans would like to send the Decider somewhere else. Let's swap leaders. He's got his own bike, give him some pig to eat and a copy of "My Pet Goat" and he'll be perfectly happy.
Howard

bikerchic
08-18-2006, 12:27 AM
This is getting a bit too politically sensitive for daytime internet. I guess in that comedic video I just see a very biased--one-sided---unfair---OK.. and funny---view of Americans. One of the things that I love about America is the "great melting pot"...like stupidity vs wisdom, deadbeats vs hero's, democrats vs republicans...etc. But I do think it's unfair to bring pigs into this. :D :D :D

bikerchic
08-18-2006, 12:33 AM
You hafta admit that pigs and goats are getting a bit much...hateful perhaps. I did like the fact that you mentioned that our president has something in common with us, as a fellow bike lover. BRILLIANT. This could turn popular opinion for him!!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :p

gilberth
08-18-2006, 06:08 AM
OK, we keep the pig and the book.
H.