PDA

View Full Version : Some Internet server questions

bluenoser
05-31-2004, 01:07 PM
Hey folks. I'm newly fired up about my cable TV and internet service provider. Seems that I was misled (naive, didn't read the fine print etc) and now I'm just plain angry that Cable (adelphia) has decreased available channels yet increased the monthly rate for the package we used to have. It took me awhile to discover that my "package" no longer includes OLN, and to get it I have to upgrade AGAIN to the 4th out of 5 tiers of service (it used to be included in the first tier).

So, my question is based upon my considering to switch to DSL over cable for internet service, and either dish TV (which still requires us to buy an expensive package to get OLN) or simply downgrade my cable service back to a basic package and live more simply anyway.

Any opinions about the speed and reliability of DSL vs. Cable Internet service and Dish TV vs. Cable?

Thanks

BarbJ
06-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Blue, I hear you. We also have Adelphia and it just keeps getting more and more expensive with less channels, at least ones that my family likes. I do like the quick cable access tho ;) .

bluenoser
06-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Thanks, Barb. I've been asking around and I'm told that people who have satellite for their TV are quite happy, as are those who have DSL for internet access. However, the people who have DSL have never had cable, so they have nothing to compare it too. I was wondering about input from folks who might have a fair point of reference. I'm about to call Adelphia right now . . .

fitwalk10
06-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Hi Blue,

I have had cable and now have Dish Network. I love it. When we had cable, we had the digital box on only one tv and just the regular box on 3 others. Couldn't afford to get digital for all. When we switched to Dish Network we got boxes for 3 tv's (one child off to college) and more channels and less expensive. As far as the computer, we have the Adelphia Powerlink and I'm pretty happy with that as well. Sure beats dial-up!