PDA

View Full Version : WOE! Nilly!

Flowerchild
08-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Okay just a play on words. :rolleyes: Just wondering about what other poeples Way Of Eating is. (Not dieting mind you)
I've been recently diagnosed with Hashimoto disease which is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks the thyroid. Since then I've really been careful about what I'm eating. Nothing white, whole grains and back to unprocessed real whole foods.

Please share your way of eating, I'm open to some insights.

JFK
08-15-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure you're going to get any insight, but you made the mistake of asking ;) I try to keep it fresh and minimally processed (but cooked is good). I don't always succeed, but I work on it. Organic produce for the most part, lots of fruit in the summer. I don't like to buy out of season, so it's mostly apples and citrus in the winter. Some frozen berries for smoothies.

I'm allergic to wheat, oats and rye, so I use a lot of alternative flours like spelt (though not a lot of this) and rice. Mostly whole grain. When I need to eat a bar (I'm on the run a lot) I like Lara bars or Hammer nutrition ones.

I also couldn't see the point of living without really good chocolate, coffee chip ice cream and coffee. :rolleyes:

Mostly I enjoy the feeling of feeding my body good stuff. As one of my favorite quotes goes: "Eat food that can spoil. Eat it before it spoils."

Flowerchild
08-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks Jen! That's very helpful. I have allergies to wheat as well. And it's in everything! I've been reading on different WOE's like Eat To Live, and even Macrobiotics. But they seem pretty extreme. At least for now. But I've been incorporating some of the principles and feeling better for it.
I'll have to check out Lara Bars.

JFK
08-15-2006, 05:13 PM
It's true, wheat seems to be everywhere. The good news is that instead of having to scour labels yourself, they are now required to include allergen information (not all packages have it yet, but they are phasing it in). It makes life so much easier on that score.

Lara bars are yummy and only have five or six ingredients, all recogizable.

IMO, the best way to change your WOE is "radical gradual." That is, make the big changes you have to first, then add in others as you get more comfortable. You don't want to throw off your entire world, but you do want to take good care of your bod.

Good luck! :)

Flowerchild
08-18-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm going to Trader Joes this weekend and I'm gonna get some Lara Bars. Which flavors do you like?
I checked into them and I really like that fact that they're raw and processed as little as possible. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've noticed lately, at least at our TJ's, that we can't get raw almonds anymore. They say 'almost raw'. Well, they're still not raw, they're 'flash pasturized'. I've tried them and even tried sprouting them, and they don't sprout.

JFK
08-19-2006, 05:56 PM
I really like the chocolate coconut, pecan pie and apple pie flavors. But you should try whatever sounds good!

ACinNJ
08-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Been hooked on Larabars since I met her at at show.

Tasted every flavor...all good.

Flowerchild
08-23-2006, 12:02 PM
OMG! I've tried the cherry pie, apple pie and chocolate coconut! :o They need a lip smacking icon! :D

marnster
08-23-2006, 12:15 PM
I'll chime in :)

I really like to shop at trader joes.

I just want you ladies to know that you should be counting your lucky stars that you have a TJ's so close! I live in Grand Rapids, MI and we don't have one here :( Having moved here from California nearly a decade ago, I really felt the TJ void in my life. They have the best stuff at the most reasonable prices. Every time we go to Chicago, I fill my trunk with TJs goods. ;)

marnster
08-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Hey moon, I hear ya! We have a nice house here and our mortgage is under $1000 per month, but we get nasty cold winters. Always a trade off! Since I don't eat red meat, I always get the meatless In-N-Out - animal style ;) But hubby loves the triple/triple and he can indulge since he only gets it but once a year!
PS: Is Dublin northern or southern Cali?

marnster
08-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Burbank/Glendale. I also lived in Orange & Irvine. My dad still lives there and my in-laws are in San Carlos, so we are back in Cali a few times a year. I love to visit, but the only thing I miss (besides my family) really is 1.) the beach & 2.) TJ's - other than that, I prefer my second home state - Colorado!! ;) :) ;)

Flowerchild
08-26-2006, 11:27 PM
I have a friend that lives in Fairbanks, Alaska and every once in a while I'll send her a TJ's care package. Some 21 Season Solute, excellant on like....everything. She loves the Irish instand oatmeal and the fruit leather. Stuff that is impossible to get where she lives. She'll come to Chicago and visit, when she does, she bring empty suitcases and goes home with them stuffed LOL

I've VERY grateful of our local TJ's!