PDA

View Full Version : New Here--sort of

wh8sox
08-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Finally got sick of not being able to open attachments --here goes first of my initial 10 posts...

I have been Spinning for a couple of years and got JG certified last month. This forum is great because most of the instructors at my gym share music and pretty much teach the same class. My main goal as an instructor is to do a class that is a little different....I can't be the only one that is sick of the same class every day of the week.

MattF
08-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Hi there!

Glad you decided to pop out of the crowd and say hello :) I hope you'll stick around for more than 10 posts though ;)

I agree with what your saying and I think its great your trying to take your classes out of the box.

See ya around and welcome to the gang, officially :D

Matt

JoyofSpin
08-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the pedal-on community (officially). I too can't stand to ride to the same music over and over - especially when the instructor sings into the mic and you can't get that voice out of your head whenever you hear the song on the radio. I change my music for every location I teach and I very rarely reuse a ride unless I am subbing a class. Keep posting until you can see the attachments! - Joy

wh8sox
08-11-2006, 09:31 PM
This morning's class (as a participant) I could recognize the CD as one of the other instuctor's animal theme CD's ---maybee I just go to too many classes.

Aside from enjoying spinning I am OC about my music (not a musician but enjoy good and differnt music)

MattF
08-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Forgot to add to my last post, since your a music buff, If you look in our Music section of Pedal-on, I'm sure you'll find tons of cool songs to revamp some of your current playlists or just to make new ones :)

Matt

topdoll
08-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Welcome,

I agree that sometimes the same music over and over can become boring. However, I will use the same ride more than one time. I start with my Monday morning, again at a different club Monday night, maybe again on Tuesday night, use it again early AM Wednesday morning. Not always but many times. As long as the riders are different, I figure they have ridden it only once. And I have at least a dozen or so rides that are among my favorites that have grown and become wonderful rides. It was like when they were built they were born, then the profile grew up, as it did so it became wiser and more mature. At times the ride is better able to manipulate the rider. The more times you teach it the better your cueing gets. That is one of the nice things about teaching at different clubs.

Then, there are those rides that I built the first year I was teaching..... I don't think I have used many of those after the first year of teaching.

Lucy
08-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Welcome!

This is a great forum for learning and growing. I too just popped out of the woodwork and have already picked up some great tips just by reading past posts. I agree with Matt; the music and profile threads are great resources.

Just a note of caution about changing the class routine... take it slow and introduce different things slowly so you don't shock your students out of their comfort zone. Add the things you want to do slowly and you will get a better response from your students. They will enjoy your classes, learn a thing or two, have fun, and not leave thinking "who does she think she is". I tried the all-or-nothing approach (it failed) so I'm slowly introducing my classes to a wide variety of music. Our other instructor only does rides to Top 40-type music. The slow approach works much better with much less resistance.

Let us know how it goes!

JoyofSpin
08-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Topdoll. Don't get me wrong I reuse my music as you do to a different crowd. And, as far as profiles, I reuse them with different music. The little changes in the ride due to familiarity of the ride lend for better coaching! - Joy:)

kszspin
08-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Aside from enjoying spinning I am OC about my music (not a musician but enjoy good and differnt music)

Welcome to the forum wh8sox!
Yipee, a fellow OC instructor (and I don't mean Orange County)! :D
You'll fit right in with several of us :rolleyes: .

Steffiec82
08-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi, I just recently took an spinning orientation through DCAC and Maddog. I have been taking indoor cycling classes for about 4 years. One instructor inspired me to try my hand at teaching so I am looking for all the ideas I can. I haven't been hired anywhere yet. I have to get some profiles and music together. I also need to take the assessment yet. I am really nervous about teaching that first class!!

:o

jspin
08-12-2006, 10:50 PM
'Glad you're here. You will find lots of good suggestions for music and profiles from all of the posts. You're right about making your class "unique". I like to change my profile, music, and music genre for each class too. Around my club, each instructor's class is different from the next. That makes it more interesting for everyone...
jspin

wh8sox
08-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Mine have gotten better. I'm that kind of person that is a bundle of nerves till I perform once or twice.

The hardest part for me to get used to is cueing and coaching. I have been to hundreds of classes as a participant with probably twenty different instructors, so I had the movements down myself and matching the music to the profile was the fun part.

I'd suggest working on a simple profile for a start and practice the cueing, then as you do other classes add other movements to the profile. What ever movements (for me it is climbs) is easiest for you stick close to that for the first class and add one or two things like jumps or standing flats. Keep the first class simple--doesn't have to be easy by can be basic.

Today I felt like crap(head cold) so spent most of the class coaching from a seated flat. I think it went OK--I was a lot more interactive with the class-good practice..

JFK
08-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Welcome Flee. Glad you found us! You won't be able to look at attachments until you've posted 10 times (gotta make a commitment :) ), after that, the site is your oyster.

MADMAX
08-15-2006, 12:47 PM
I have been spinning for about 8 months now. I decided to get certified the 26th of this month. I am nervous about teaching my first classes but I think it will settle down. I have yet to make a routine or decide on my first set of songs:)

jsejt
08-15-2006, 01:14 PM
I have been spinning for about 8 months now. I decided to get certified the 26th of this month. I am nervous about teaching my first classes but I think it will settle down. I have yet to make a routine or decide on my first set of songs:)

This site will sooooooo help you. I still get nervous sometimes when I teach spinning. I have an advanced group I took over and they make me so nervous, with their whispers, blank faces, and no comments. It's getting better, they are now opening up. This site has helped this newbie a lot!

Pink
08-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Finally got sick of not being able to open attachments --here goes first of my initial 10 posts...

I have been Spinning for a couple of years and got JG certified last month. This forum is great because most of the instructors at my gym share music and pretty much teach the same class. My main goal as an instructor is to do a class that is a little different....I can't be the only one that is sick of the same class every day of the week.

Years ago, I was a member of a gym where this was the norm. I had no idea that there was something else out there! I am amazed now, looking back, that I stuck with it for so long.

Welcome to you!

oldgoat
08-15-2006, 07:23 PM
While I am still a couple of months off from that first class, I am really pumped and quite nervous concurrently! The thought of helping folks learn the sport I love so much, watching them improve, harden up, and get in to the music is all the motivation I need.

Has been almost 25 years since I started a very small personal training company in South Florida, and although that only lasted three years, interesting to see that advanced degrees, many years in the Silly Valley, and a modicum of success in the real world have brought me full circle at age 46.

I had a client (back in 1987 or so!) who weighed 350 lbs. She was wealthy, miserably unhappy, near suicidal. She paid me $75/hr to walk a few blocks with her, talk to her, and encourage her. Her husband was ill with cancer at the time as well. We bacame very good friends, and the walks turned in to tennis, biking, hiking, lifting weights, fast walking and even jogging. Her husband passed away, and I was invited to the funeral. She was 250 lbs. A year later, she was 170 lbs, and a new woman. I stayed in touch with her for about two years after I sold my business. She sent me pictures, and continued to lead a healthy lifestyle. It is what, 20 years later...and I still think about her.

Well, if I have students like her, who use my little knowledge to find a reason to thrive, not just live...it is worth all the nerves, jitters and fears of 20 people glaring at me because they hate the music, and the nine minute climbing songs I intend to throw in!:D

kszspin
08-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Oldgoat--
Thanks for sharing that piece of history with us. I have been in this business since 1990, and have had a few of those relationships along the way. They are the ones that will stick with you forever. I think of those memories when I get "tired" of teaching some days, it's what helps me do it for almost no money in the first place. What drives us to teach is serving others, no doubt :) .