PDA

View Full Version : You know you're addicted to the TdF coverage if...

Becca713
07-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Bob did a Top 10 today titled, "You know you have Tour fever if..." I definitely have Tour fever, but it's not manifesting itself in a bunch of outside riding (it's currently 98 degrees here!). I thought we could start our own Top 10. So here goes...

You know you have Tour fever if:

10. You wake up in the morning with a start, hoping that you haven't missed a minute of the day's live coverage.

9. You start tossing around Phil-isms like "suitcase full of courage" and "laying the hammer down" in your normal, everyday talk with friends, colleagues, and family members.

8. Your "thinking inside your own head" voice changes from yours to Phil Liggit's.

7. You miss work to watch the OLN coverage.

6. You'll watch the coverage whenever you can, regardless of how many times you've already seen that day's coverage.

5. You are disappointed on days when you can't spot the Devil.

4. You wish you had your very own Spin bike at home in your living room so that you could ride along with the Tour riders in the stage (I am TOTALLY guilty of this one....anyone else??).

3. ???

2. ???

1. ???

Anyone else?

kszspin
07-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Becca, I caught Bob this morning too, and he must have done two seperate lists, cause the one he gave this am was different from what you posted. Anyway...here is what he said this morning....

10. You mistakingly call your kids ...Floyd, Leve & Zabriski all of July.

9. You own more lycra than a swinsuit store

8. You register for your wedding at a bike shop rather than Crate & Barrel

7. A nice draft has nothing to do with a good beer

6. You have a farmer's tan but have never been within 100 km of a farm

5. 'Dropping the hammer' has nothing to do with building things

4. You've put more miles on your bike in a month than your car in a year

3. Your wardrobe is nothing but Yellow on Yellow

2. "8 seconds" has nothing to do with bull riding & everything to do with Lemond in '89

1. Your legs are smoother than Uncle Festers head!

Becca713
07-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Oh, I know Bob did a different list, Kelly! I was just hoping that we Pedal-Oners could come up with our own! I did like Bob's, though! ;)

JFK
07-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Not sure if I have 10...but the following are true:

-your TiVo is nearly filled up by the end of the day because you recorded all of OLN's coverage, even though most of it is repeats.

-you will watch anything cycling-related that OLN puts on, including lame repeats of "Lance Chronicles" you already saw ten times.

-you get annoyed when anyone calls during the day, because you are watching your Tour coverage, even though it's recorded and you could pause it (or you've already seen it that day).

-your kids know who Thor Hushovd is (!) and are also sad that Ivan, Jan and Vino are not in the Tour.

-you don't really care about the flat stages, but you can't help yourself watching them (more than once). C'mon, cycling is so rarely on US television! Gotta soak it up. :rolleyes:

-when you watch Phil, Paul and Bob's top 15 moments in the Tours OLN has covered, you predicted all of them, including the order of the top five. And you are pissed that the number one moment (Lance in '01 on the Alpe, natch) they don't even show "the Look." For goodness sake, they missed the whole (almost) point!

-you still have a hard time watching Lance and Iban go down on Luz Ardiden, even though you know what happens. You still cover your face and yell "ohhhhh!"

-your spouse or SO is not at all alarmed by the above behavior, it happens every July.

Addicted? Guilty. :eek:

Becca713
07-03-2006, 06:14 PM
-when you watch Phil, Paul and Bob's top 15 moments in the Tours OLN has covered, you predicted all of them, including the order of the top five. And you are pissed that the number one moment (Lance in '01 on the Alpe, natch) they don't even show "the Look." For goodness sake, they missed the whole (almost) point!

YES! I watched this the other night and was like, "hey, where's the look???!!!" I then noticed that they had it in the closing credits. NOT the same! So I logged onto Pedal-On and watched the video clip here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpblb1FNmqY&mode=related&search=
and was happy. :)

Becca

JFK
07-03-2006, 08:43 PM
I have it on dvd, it's not like I can't watch it everyday. :D But it's the principle.

One of my other faves (also in the top 15) was when Lance won on Plateau de Beille in '04. Actually, it wasn't the winning, so much as when he zipped up when he was behind Basso. We knew what he was about to do, but poor Ivan didn't. And the fact that he had the presence of mind to zip at that moment....I love it!

I watched that one live and in hi-def in a movie theater (it was an event of the Tyler Hamilton foundation...the day he droppped out of the '04 Tour). It doesn't get much better than that except as below.....

Last year my advisor got to spend 20 minutes in one of the Tour choppers during stage 12, and then he got to view the finish from the VIP area at the line. :cool:

MattF
07-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Yep, I admit it... I'm a junkie ;) I get so pumped to see cycling stuff on TV, your right Jenn, I have to soak it up, regardless of what it is, where it is, how many times I've seen it or heard it, heck, I watch it anyway ;)

Matt

Robert
07-04-2006, 04:47 AM
You really really really know you're hooked if you:

1 - record live coverage of the whole stage
2 - even though it's a totally flat stage
3 - with no breakways
4 - on a hot and humid day
5 - with the average of only 30kph
6 - already knowing who won the final sprint
7 - and you watch the whole 5 hours when you get home
8 - without fast forwarding a single second
9 - and you're annoyed when the ad breaks interrupt the coverage
10 - and refuse to answer the phone/door/family

Oh, and does anyone else find their legs "air-pedalling" when a rider attacks (esp. on the mountains)?

JFK
07-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Oh, and does anyone else find their legs "air-pedalling" when a rider attacks (esp. on the mountains)?

No. Robert, I think you have a serious problem and should seek help.

:D

raptor
07-04-2006, 03:25 PM
No air pedaling here either. :) To think that I responded to a post on Turnstep yesterday from a pure indoor cycling instructor who just doesn't "get it" about bike racing.

My addiction is mild. I lug my laptop and video monitor to the gym every class so we can ride along with the (previous) race. And I find that the OLN reruns make great background noise.

Lynn

kszspin
07-04-2006, 03:31 PM
---You can easily name 20 riders names in the tour (not even counting the American ones :p ) AND you can pronounce them correctly too!
---You get extremely annoyed when a FOX sportscaster (or any other network sportscaster) MIS-pronouces a riders name! Geez.....
---You watch the morning live coverage in full, take a short break, pop in on the replay of the afternoon airing, run a quick afternoon errand, then sit down again to watch the ENHANCED evening coverage! (approx. 8 hrs of cycling per day :D )

raptor
07-05-2006, 02:14 AM
---You get extremely annoyed when a FOX sportscaster (or any other network sportscaster) MIS-pronouces a riders name! Geez.....

Our local talking heads can't even get "Hincapie" right, let alone Hushovd. They're otherwise pretty good about covering "other" sports though.

Lynn

britspin
07-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Nope, but I do 'throw forward for the line in a buncg sprint...setee doesn't move.

britspin
07-05-2006, 11:11 AM
That would be bunch sprint..

Spinnin' My Heart Out
07-05-2006, 01:16 PM
i love that clip! thanks again becca!

does anyone know the name of the song in that clip?

words..........................if this don't make your bootie go, your bootie must be dead----------------love it!

redsquirrel
07-05-2006, 09:35 PM
i love that clip! thanks again becca!

does anyone know the name of the song in that clip?

words..........................if this don't make your bootie go, your bootie must be dead----------------love it!

Fatboy Slim - Acid 8000 from the You've Come A Long Way, Baby CD

I agree - it is a great song!

Becca713
07-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Okay, I have officially (already) watched waaaaaaay too much TdF coverage this year. How do I know? Well I taught my Stage 4 profile tonight and had NO PROBLEM whatsoever describing the general landscape, sounds coming from the spectators, costumes worn by spectators, different sorts of artwork along the road, etc. I mean it all just came out stream-of-consciousness-like. My class was kidding me before class about how addicted I am, but at the end, after all the visuals I gave them, I think they were pleased that I watch as much TdF as I do!!

kszspin
07-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Becca, did you happen to mention the acrobatic guy on the road (doing flips in the air)?

Becca713
07-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Becca, did you happen to mention the acrobatic guy on the road (doing flips in the air)?

NO! Yesterday was my first day at work since the Tour started, hence it was my first morning NOT watching the live coverage. Didn't watch until 8 o'clock last night. I believe I recall at least 2 points during the stage when Al said, "There are just some things you can't explain during the Tour," and one of those moments was during the weird acrobatic guy doing his thing before they got in the home stretch. I think there was also a comment about that guy not remembering much about the riders going by, which cracked me up.

I swear, some of the best parts of the Tour are the folks in the crowd!

I still haven't seen the Devil, which I'm pretty miffed about. I think there was a point yesterday or Tuesday where it looked like someone had painted pitchforks on the road. Anyone seen the Devil yet???

JFK
07-06-2006, 09:11 PM
My impression is that the tv folks only focus on him in the mountains. I could be mistaken..heh, could be a project for the winter: review all tour dvds and tapes and see if they only show the devil during mountain stages, or if they show him on the flats, too. ;)

I haven't seen him yet, but :eek: truth to tell I have not been watching wall-to-wall coverage. That comes starting Saturday. :D

kszspin
07-06-2006, 09:43 PM
cool, something to do when I'm bored sometime! Review my old tour dvds for where the devil appears, thanks Jenn! :D
My hunch is though that he is a mountain guy, since he's gotta have time to run up the hill in order to stay in camera view. He'd be like a blink of the eye at 50kph. :eek:

Robert
07-07-2006, 05:05 AM
I've seen many times on the flat stages but only when watching the live coverage. I used to tape 4 hours' worth of coverage and watch it every evening (I became a recluse for the whole of July).

Now, what with the World Cup and teaching, I haven't even had a chance to watch a single match at Wimbledon, let alone anything other than the highlights prog. :(

Live coverage is great - proof that, apart from the Parisienne, the French are a bunch of loveable nutters! :D