PDA

View Full Version : Switching Proflies

Jags
05-26-2006, 10:19 AM
How often do all of you swicth up your classes?

Do you do a completely different class with different music each day?

johno
05-26-2006, 10:26 AM
have a number of classes that i switch randomly..it seems to take me ages to write a new class, i dont like teaching anything until im 100% sure if my ques adn that it works..

ill ride them alone a few times to see how it fits together .

i try not to teach the same profile week to week, that way they never know what to expect ;)

Jags
05-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks.

I'm still in my second week of actually teaching classes. How long before the nervous feeling goes away?
I get so excited to teach but I'm also still petrified until about 10 minutes in when I get relaxed.

triang34
05-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Too funny. I had this nervous feeling for what seemed like years. I teach all types of classes, but teach Spinning classes twice a week - at different hours. My early morning class (5:45 am) has the same riders every week ... and that's my preferred workout time. I'm always energetic and upbeat - ready to go for that class (so no nerves). My 12:15 pm class however, has a different group of riders. They are quieter, more serious - and hard to get a true read from. They give me the nervous feeling.
But, the best that you can do: know your music and know your profiles. If you are confident about what you present to them, they will love you - and they will have a great ride. I tend to change my profiles/music every week (obsessed). But, I feel that I need to do that in order to keep my class fresh (since I have the same riders all the time). I always do a dry-run on my Spinning bike at home - to test things out, and to make sure that the music flows. If I get goosebumps, then I know that I'm ready to present it to the class.
Good luck!
A.

Cheeze
05-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Always a different profile because each class has a different goal or objective. Will re-use a profile if it fits what I want to do. When in a time crunch will use exsisting music but write a new profile.

But don't over stress about using familiar stuff. How many times do you ride the same route or course outside?

Cheeze

RaffCycles
05-26-2006, 01:37 PM
I try to change the profile with each class. However, I also resurect an old one every now and then. Same goes with music I use.

I'd like to spend a lot more time on both, but with my current schedule, I've found that pulling something out of the archives and modifying one or two movement/songs can make an old profile seem brand new.

megale3
05-26-2006, 01:45 PM
The more classes that you coach a week will make it more often that you design a class and then put music to it. I make most of my design's music based on BPM that are realistic to road riding interpretations of cadence there fore like Cheeze has stated I can use the music to achieve different goals. When using the music as a second dirrector of motivation it is good to know all the hooks of the songs as well as decrescendos and crescendos. Only with time will you build up a library of music and that is what it takes to get over the nervousness of standing before a group and belting out instructions. Been there done that needed for my own sanity to move on.
Try and imagine that everyone in the room is in their underwear and not laugh. :D
Megale

raptor
05-27-2006, 12:05 AM
The nervousness goes away with time. That's as accurate as one can get, everyone being different and all. :)

After three years, I'm still nervous when I leave work not having thought AT ALL about teaching, not knowing which ride I'm going to do. But I always have a bunch of rides that have worked well for me in the past and I usually slip right into the correct groove soon enough. Sometimes, these are my best classes.

Nerves help you (well, me) focus.

After creating a new ride every week for about six weeks, I've forced myself into a "recycling" phase. I'll let the creative juices simmer for a few weeks before designing a new one.

Lynn

Pink
05-27-2006, 03:53 AM
I make a new profile/cd every week. When I sub a class, I'll reuse something. I keep track of songs used and the most I've reused a song is twice. I'm getting close to using some favorites for a third time -- just haven't been able to come up with new & exciting tracks for a while (hoping the WSSC will change that).

I was a nervous wreck in the beginning (although I'd settle down once the ride got started). Now, like Raptor, I still get twinges but quickly fall into the groove. It keeps me on my toes. I do think that once you start to build your following, your confidence grows and nerves subside. But it takes time & experience.

adb98b2000
05-27-2006, 05:09 PM
I am new to teaching and was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to not get so winded. I feel like my classes can hear me breathing into the mic.

Pink
05-27-2006, 05:15 PM
I'd suggest 2 things:

First, work on your aerobic base and secondly, fake your own intensity when teaching if you must.

I work at really high heart rates when teaching but I am rarely winded. No matter how I try, just the fact that I'm charged up, riding & talking (and not all that much either) my heart gets going.

However, I just started at another gym last week and they don't have a mic set-up. Boy, my heart rate was through the roof, trying to coach over the music. Not liking it at all...

kszspin
05-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Like Pink said, fake your intensity :) . To be flat out honest, the ride should never be viewed as your workout. Yes, as you are riding with your class you are working, sometimes even hard, but if/when you begin to feel that you're coaching is hindered by not being able to speak without being winded, then it's time to dial back your effort. Honestly no one knows what you have (as far as resistance) on your bike. Ride, but with less load so that you may cue without sucking air. Just the fact that we are talking more, maybe a little nervous or excited, will cause our heart rate and effort to jump up more, so compensate by riding easier.
Also, coaching a bit off the bike during hard efforts, like interval work, can help. You can then not worry about whether or not your breathing is labored in the mic and trying to verbally get words out. Coaching off the bike during these times are cool cause you can completely focus on your classes' effort, timing the intervals with your stopwatch, looking in their faces and making positive and supportive contact. If think it's way more effective off the bike at that time.

Use days off of teaching to ride alone in the gym to build your endurance or to get your own personal training in, or take another instructor's class. That way you'll never be tempted to feel that you need to ride in class to workout.

just my .02 cents :)

Cheeze
05-27-2006, 10:13 PM
If you want to get back at me for something I did - make me take a class where the instructor is heavy breathing or sucking for air into the mic. Drives me crazy. Subsesquently I am very conscious of doing it myself.

I'll share a few slices. Presenting a class and talking into a mic during class adds extra stress to the body - trainable stress. As Kelly posted it's important you have an appropriate fitness base. Talk to yourself as you ride by yourself. Train on controlling your breathing - or on breathing through your nose (exhaling through your nose is a more relaxed form of breathing does not make as much noise in a mic as does exhaling by mouth). Mics are designed to pick-up from your mouth - not your nose.

Secondly how you warm up is very important. If you start out fast you amplify the anaerobic start to your exercise which ultimately may affect your breathing. I recommend a slow gradual warm-up because most us do most of our talking around the start of class.

Third I think of when I strart to breath too hard through the mic as a threshold. I periodically test it like a threshold. Subsequently I know how high I can take my intensity and corresponding HR before I get obnoxious on the mic. You can ride easy or walk the floor during the high intensity stuff. Tell your students you need to concentrate on time/profile to insure they get a great ride - it's their ride not yours.

Four (as Pink suggested) fake the intensity.

Five, if it feels like your breathing is getting away from you look for ways to stop talking. You can get off the bike and walk down your breathing. You can say things like "I'll see you at the top" or "I'll leave you to enjoy the ride" - then you can shut up (or turn the mic off) until your breathing is back under control.

I've already turned the mic off or taken it off. Since the mic amplifies your breathing - if you are not using a mic the heavy breathing is a little more tolerable.

Finally, if all else fails, spend the money and by an Aero mic and you won't have to worry about your mic picking up your breathing.

Hope this helps - Cheeze

raptor
05-28-2006, 11:59 PM
This seems like common sense but maybe it hasn't occurred to others. You can slow down the air blasting out of your mouth by keeping your mouth wide open as you exhale. With your ductwork opened up you can move a lot of air without whooshing.

Lynn