PDA

View Full Version : before doing a sprint, standing climb..

luvcajun
05-09-2006, 09:24 AM
would you describe to the class what it is you do for a sprint, standing climb, etc...for sprint ..telling them this is an all out effort ...

not teaching yet so have many questions...yesterday was another mock class ...on my way home thoughts running through this head of mine...should i start explaining before we get to sprint...makes sense to me...or just...now we'll sprint...was wondering?? you all have much more experience than i so please...suggestions...

cajun:confused:

JFK
05-09-2006, 09:31 AM
You definitely have to explain a sprint before doing it, or people will just wind up their legs with very little resistance. You also want people to add on the resistance before you start the sprint "clock" so that they don't spend the entire 25 seconds adding resistance.

A sprint is about pushing lots of watts (i.e. lots of resistance) not spinning the legs a million miles an hour. Pedal speed should not exceed 110rpm and everyone should feel like the finish line can't come too soon.

You need a good 2 -3 minutes to reload stored muscle creatine phosphate following a sprint. So even though heart rates may be back down, there are other processes going on that take time.

HTH,

kszspin
05-09-2006, 01:54 PM
You need a good 2 -3 minutes to reload stored muscle creatine phosphate following a sprint. So even though heart rates may be back down, there are other processes going on that take time.

HTH,

Thanks for that insight Jenn, good to know. I have generally used recovery heart rate drop as my guideline, ex: 1:30 -2:00 recovery to drop HR to 65% then apply another sprint (if we're doing more than one). And also not doing anymore if their recovery time in no longer consistent.
Are there physical cues our bodies will give us to know that we are now ready to enter into the next sprint, or are you saying 2-3 min is just a safe amount of time to let that all happen?

caro7372
05-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Jennifer,
Just so I have straight are you saying the recovery period between sprints should be 2-3 minutes? (sprints= resistance load in seated climb and begin our sprint seated 3-5 secs, go up to HP3 standing climb for 5 seconds (until you "break through" resistance) then back to seated climb HP2 in full out sprint (same resistance load) and sprint seated for 10-15 seconds. I want to make sure I know the correct recovery time for sprints.

thank you!

Good thread this one, I learned that the ATP stored will be used in about 8 secs and then the next step is about 30 secs before normally going into glucose / fat ( oxygen step ) comes.
So a sprint can't last to long. A full sprint can be over in lets say max. 40 secs. What I also wonder is when you are reloaded cause sprints at max. you can't do twice to soon after eachother.

btw can anyone give me the words for the burning system in a humans body cause I learned the dutch words !! So first the ATP ( and ADP added with CP gives again ATP and creatine ) and the rest ............................

Thanks

Robert