PDA

View Full Version : Question..(my first post!)

law8296
05-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Hello all! My question lies in how to correct/advise participants who are well versed in road cycling but not indoor cycling. While I greatly appreciate the expertise they bring into the class; I am sort of struggling with how to correct them. Example- during cool down/stretching period- they do some stretches on the bike; from my certification, that is not suggested for several reasons- but how do I tell these guys that? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!:D

han-grrl
05-08-2006, 04:21 PM
As long as you can properly explain WHY it is contraindicated:

e.g. stretching on the bike - well one good reason, it isn't good on the bike! of course many users don't care, it isn't theirs...(you don't have to say that part). but stretching while standing on the pedals, or sticking the leg up on the bike pulls an necessarily prematurely wears out the bike.

kszspin
05-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Law:
I took the liberty of doing a quick search of old threads on stretching on/off the bike for you.
here's a link to one thread:

http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.php?t=1090&highlight=stretching

veespin
05-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Example- during cool down/stretching period- they do some stretches on the bike; from my certification, that is not suggested for several reasons- but how do I tell these guys that? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Point out that if they tried it on their road bikes, they'd fall over!!

The explanations and rationale you give to Roadies™ regarding any contraindicated/stoopid/annoying moves are no different from the ones you'd give to any other class member.

These dudes/dudettes aren't doing this because it's what they do in road cycling.....they've picked it up in someone else's class (or they've tried it and not been given the heads-up on why they shouldn't) and now they're bringing it to yours.

Vivienne

megale3
05-08-2006, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't be worried about them -what intimidates you about them? Are they coming to class in full kits or something? We have a word for people that come in wearing discovery channel kits and the a like.... POSERS! :D
Have the correct info and if they go there tell them away from the group.
Megale

JFK
05-08-2006, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't be worried about them -what intimidates you about them? Are they coming to class in full kits or something? We have a word for people that come in wearing discovery channel kits and the a like.... POSERS! :D
Have the correct info and if they go there tell them away from the group.
Megale

You mean if I came in wearing full Disco kit you wouldn't believe I'd gotten it from Johan himself? I am SO offended. ;)

BTW, in French they are known as POSEURS (just to add a bit of international flair)

Cheeze
05-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Law what kinds of things are they doing? Maybe we can help you out - and learn something in the process.

Legspeed
05-08-2006, 10:54 PM
If you think that Roadies™ have never, ever stretched their hamstrings while cycling...and that they would fall over if they tried...then I guess the term poseur may indeed apply.

raptor
05-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Outdoors, I stretch my calves while riding every now and then. It's doable with a freewheel.

Our cert. has been preaching against doing it indoors. One compromise is to advise them to lock the resistance down so the pedals don't move. In class, I stretch off the bike of course, cue thusly, and don't sweat it when some people stay on the bike.

The best reason to not do it is to simply remove potential complications from standing on a well-greased machine. If something slips, you're very close to a muscle tear.

Lynn

Robert
05-09-2006, 05:00 AM
I always stretch on my road bike - can't see why you'd think it's not possible, given also that it happens in the peleton all the time, especially as they approach the final climb/sprint.

The best way to get the message through to a fellow cyclist is to say that one thing is to do it on their own bikes, as they know them intimately and have probably serviced it themselves. But can they really trust the indoor bike not to give up on them? Do they know the mechanic that fixed that loose pedal? Do they really want to risk their legs?

Et cetera, i.e., scare them! They may also start to care a little more about the state of the ikes and report (as I constantly do) about the slightest movement in the bottom bracket

megale3
05-09-2006, 11:06 AM
You mean if I came in wearing full Disco kit you wouldn't believe I'd gotten it from Johan himself? I am SO offended. ;)

BTW, in French they are known as POSEURS (just to add a bit of international flair)

Depends Jen would it be the white one?:cool:
Meg