PDA

View Full Version : To Try the Tri or Not...

marnster
05-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Since I value the opinions of the dedicated instructors/trainers/athletes in this forum, I am seeking the advice/opinions on the following topic:

Should I participate in an Olympic distance triathlon to be held June 24th, 2006?

The reason I am seeking advice is because:

1.) I have never participated in a triathlon before and don't know what to expect. (enlighten me if you can please ;) )
2.) I don't have a nice bike (just an old mountain bike that is about 13 years old, but I still ride it on MTB trails!!) Is the bike really that important for a beginner who is only interested in getting through the first triathlon?
3. My years of competitive swimming ended in high school years and years ago.

Background: I teach/take 3-5 IC classes per week, weight train 2-3 days/week, am running a 25K (15-1/2 mile) race this Saturday (which I have been training for since January), so all in all I feel physically fit, but I am not so sure I am fit enough for a triathlon. I swam 1/2 mile last Thursday and my arms were screaming the next day.

If I were to decide tomorrow to go for it, how much swimming would I need to do in order to prepare for a mile swim in a lake? If you have any good websites to direct me to, I would appreciate it!

Also, I will feel like such a geek on my old bike...especially after reading the thread about what bikes ya'll are riding...WOW! But, I guess we all have to start somewhere, ya know?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Marnie

jrobertson98
05-08-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm making the transition from runner and cyclist to du- and triathlon this summer myself! It's a bit scary but I'm up for the challenge!! These are a few of the websites that I've bookmarked as my favorites filled with great information!
www.ontri.com (http://www.ontri.com) (helps you set up a training schedule and keep a log)
www.beginnertriathlete.com (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com) (my personal favorite)
www.triathanewbie.com (http://www.triathanewbie.com)

It basically takes 8-12 weeks to train (adequately) for a triathlon, but it depends on which distance race you want to do...sprint, olympic, etc.!
But it sounds like you can definitely be there in no time! Swimming is my weakest and LEAST favorite event and my biggest challenge! But, my motto has become...bring it on!!!

Best of luck!
Let me know if you have any other questions! I'll do my best to help!
Oh...where are you located? I also joined my local triathlete club...that has been tramendously helpful as well!

Jennifer

marnster
05-08-2006, 06:10 PM
;) I will definitely check out these websites! I am very nervous about the swimming portion of the tri, but also the biking part. I don't ride on the road very often (for fear :o , plus my ancient bike), but I do ride mtn. bike trails during spring/summer months. I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Good luck to you too and I will let you know if I decide to do it :D

gigi
05-08-2006, 07:28 PM
hey marnster!
i think you should GO FOR IT! i did an oly tri a few years back. i started training for it in april and did it in late august. a few things really got me through training (fyi- i did it to finish, not to place...)
-i trained with a group (i did it in conjunction with team in training)
-i alternated training with long swims, long bike rides, long runs with transitioning--swim/run, bike/run, swim/bike...
-i worked on literal transition work- changing from my wetsuit to my bike gear, and from bike gear to the run---this really helped when the time came.
-i entered a few sprint tri's before i did the oly tri. it helped with my confidence
-swim drills are key-- work on conditioning in the pool (if you want drill ideas, PM me)-- then when you work on transitioning, do OPEN WATER SWIMS....start early. you will have to know how to "sight" (look ahead, at where you are going, so you won't drift....)

i did the oly tri with a mountain bike frame, it sucked, everyone passed me with their nice shiny bikes, but at least i was out there riding, swimming, and running. i will never forget my tri experience...i wish you the BEST of luck!!

britspin
05-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Go for it...you are fit enough to finish..which is all that matters first time, after that you get into times/splits etc.
Swimming drills wise I have been following the tri specific ones posted on the Zoggs website www.zoggs.com (http://www.zoggs.com) and follow the swim for fitness link, with swim 4 triathlon at the bottom of the page.
Your bike will improve once the shiny beasties rush past you..your first big spend will be a shiny beastie, for now who cares, you will not be the only one on an oldster, do fit slick tyres tho.....you will go faster.
I am off for my first open water swim next weekend (21st), no training, sighting or anything in a lake..Sun will be by baptism...ooooer.(Only 750m tho)...nice wetsuit...I've got it on now...no I haven't. Good luck & go for it.

fancy4tri
05-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Marnster,

It sounds like your in good shape... Spend some time in open water training for the swim, but remeber it is the smallest portion of the event... I tend to do a lot of my bike training indoors because of my "life / time constraiants"... and you've got the run. I say go for it, but if you are still unsure, see if there is another event a bit later giving you more time to train.

marnster
05-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Gigi, Brit & Fancy,
Thank you for the encouragement!
I had a wonderful offer this morning...
I was chatting with one of my "regulars" after class this morning, and he offered to let me use his wife's brand new Bianchi road bike for the triathlon! He said he purchased it for her as a gift last year and she has never used it. :rolleyes: So, now I have a decent bike to ride, if I decide to do it. I am still "on the fence" but tipping to the "go for it" side of the fence. Next week I am going to focus on swimming/biking, biking/running and doing those swim drills.
Oh, and the event is one week earlier than I had originally thought. :eek:
Brit, you mention that you wear a wetsuit...is that standard in triathlons or just for training? Just curious...maybe I need to go buy a wetsuit if I am planning on swimming outdoors in the next few weeks. I'm sure the inland lakes here in Michigan aren't that warm! ~Marnie

jrobertson98
05-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Marnie-

I had another suggestion as I'm about to do it myself!! Are there any triathlons in your area that you can go watch or volunteer for? I'm volunteering for an Olympic tri this Sat. It's a good way to "watch & learn" and it helps you get excited about doing one yourself! :D

About the wetsuits...that's a preference thing down here, but I'm in Florida and the main reason people tend to wear them is if the water is real cold! It's also something you have to take into consideration in the transitions, time to take it off and change etc. Of course, if you're like me...you just trying to "finish" these races not try to win!! At least not yet!! :D
Jennifer

marnster
05-10-2006, 07:14 AM
Jennifer,
That is a great idea. I'm not sure if there are any other tri's happening in this area, but I can check! Thanks for the tip!
:)

gigi
05-10-2006, 07:19 AM
Gigi, Brit & Fancy,
Thank you for the encouragement!
I had a wonderful offer this morning...
I was chatting with one of my "regulars" after class this morning, and he offered to let me use his wife's brand new Bianchi road bike for the triathlon! He said he purchased it for her as a gift last year and she has never used it. :rolleyes: So, now I have a decent bike to ride, if I decide to do it. I am still "on the fence" but tipping to the "go for it" side of the fence. Next week I am going to focus on swimming/biking, biking/running and doing those swim drills.
Oh, and the event is one week earlier than I had originally thought. :eek:
Brit, you mention that you wear a wetsuit...is that standard in triathlons or just for training? Just curious...maybe I need to go buy a wetsuit if I am planning on swimming outdoors in the next few weeks. I'm sure the inland lakes here in Michigan aren't that warm! ~Marnie

great news about the bike. keep us posted on the training!!

britspin
05-10-2006, 09:42 AM
The wetsuit thing is due to water temperature, British Triathlon has a limit at which wetsuits must be worn, I cannnot recall what that temp is..suffice to say there are very few if any non wetsuit open water swims in the UK!

jrobertson98
05-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Something I'm learning about also, are all of the "rules" involved in triathlons that are USAT sanctioned! This is the United States Triathlete Association and ohhhhhhhh boyyyyy...do they have rules!! They are very strict and it's amazing what you have to stick by to not get time faults or disqualified in a race!
You have to stay 3 bike links back in the bike part (this is considered drafting), you can't listen to music when you run, and the swim course if you veer of course you get time faults...and so on and so on!! It's serious stuff...so there's a lot to learn and try to remember...haha!
I would check out their website sometime as well! I think it's www.usat.com (http://www.usat.com) but not positive!
JR

jrobertson98
05-10-2006, 10:09 AM
O.K...it's www.usatriathlon.org (http://www.usatriathlon.org)
Sorry...check it out!! Lots of good info.!
JR

marnster
05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
So THAT'S Hunter Kemper (his pic is on the website)....lol
I have heard his name tossed around, but never knew who he was! Thanks for the link, Jennifer! I have a lot to read! :D

britspin
05-10-2006, 10:44 AM
I am guessing the rules are pretty common across the world, and it is the same as any sport/activity..read the rules and you start to think 'how in hell can you actually play the game then?' The reality is much simpler, drafting for example, most marshalls can tell who is wheel sucking, and who has misjudged the 'draft box'..and a warning is usually given first before time penalties are added, and if you can't swim in a straight line in a pool...well! So do not be daunted or put off, sample & see, taking with you a knowledge of the rules.

veespin
05-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Brit, you mention that you wear a wetsuit...is that standard in triathlons or just for training? Just curious...maybe I need to go buy a wetsuit if I am planning on swimming outdoors in the next few weeks. I'm sure the inland lakes here in Michigan aren't that warm!

The wetsuits are a big help with buoyancy as well as temperature.....and also a protection from whatever's in the water.

The daughter did a half IronMan in New Jersey this weekend (NJ DevilMan for anyone who might want to miss next year's) The swim was a lake swim.......but closer to a toilet bowl swim than anything else, it seemed to me. Everyone came out the water a shade or two darker than when they went in.....except the areas covered by their goggles and wetsuit.

Vivienne

marnster
05-10-2006, 01:49 PM
That's really disgusting vee :eek: That's the one thing about the tri that I dread...swimming in open water...but everyone assures me it's a nice lake, yadda yadda. We'll see! :D

pearl
05-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Jennifer,
That is a great idea. I'm not sure if there are any other tri's happening in this area, but I can check! Thanks for the tip!
:)

Marnster,

I live a little north of Kalamazoo and a little south of Grand Rapids (Plainwell). The Seahorse Triathlon is in Kalamazoo on June 6, 2006 - sprint or Olympic distance. It is a fun race and a decent course. I did it when it was in early July, so the water was warmer. Early June, BRRRRRRR. I'm posting a link here, but if it doesn't work, Google Seahorse Triathlon and you'll get there. The "Shermanator Tri" is held at Sherman Lake (just outside of Kalamazoo) in August. A great event should you get the bug to continue competing.

http://www.3disciplines.com/index.php?option=com_events&task=view_detail&agid=9&year=2006&month=06&day=04&Itemid=0

A little off topic, but our fitness center has an indoor tri each February where we swim 20 minutes (laps are counted), we bike 20 minutes (not on SPIN bikes though - no odometer) and we run 20 minutes. Great for winter training for a "taste" of a tri. We're only 60 minutes to your south.
(A little late for this year....but 2007?)

raptor
05-10-2006, 10:11 PM
I was chatting with one of my "regulars" after class this morning, and he offered to let me use his wife's brand new Bianchi road bike for the triathlon! He said he purchased it for her as a gift last year and she has never used it. :rolleyes:

Score!

A note of caution: An Olympic tri bike segment is about 30 miles, which is enough time to get very uncomfortable on a bike. Make sure the bike fits you. Try to get some miles on it before you race. Better to ride a crappy bike that fits than a great one that doesn't.

Lynn

marnster
05-11-2006, 06:49 AM
:) Lynn, great idea. Thanks for the tip!

Pearl, we are so close to each other! I checked out the link (it worked!) and I have heard a few people talking about that tri. I am going to be in Colorado that weekend for my bros. wedding, otherwise, I would have come to observe. I assume you are participating? The tri I am thinking of doing is called Johan's Tri Fest. It benefits Hospice of West Michigan and the Van Andel Institute Cancer Research Center, which are two very worthy causes and I should do it just because of that! Another local tri is called The Reeds Lake Triathlon. Have you heard of it?

I teach & practically live at the YMCA in downtown GR. It is an enormous facility, "state of the art", "green", and all that jazz. Just opened 10 months ago. You should drive up sometime ;) The indoor tri at your fitness center sounds like a great idea. Do you have a lot of participants? Maybe if I am bitten by the tri bug I can come down for 2007.
So, pearl, would you suggest I wear a wetsuit for this tri June 17th? I think I can guess....yes! :D Marnie

marnster
05-23-2006, 07:12 AM
OK, I have committed to this triathlon ~ and now I am really scared! :eek:
Just a question for brit & those that use wetsuits during competition: can you briefly explain to me how the transition from swimming to biking goes? I have looked on the beginnertriathlete website and cannot find detailed information about transitioning - specifically how do you shed your wetsuit for biking gear? do they offer changing tents or something? OR are you supposed to wear the biking gear underneath the suit? i assume the biking shoes are somewhere close to the bike. then what about bike to run? do you have running shoes at the end of the biking course?

feeling like a total dunce,

marnie ;)

britspin
05-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Don't feel a dunce...you need to know.
Having done my first wetsuit/open water swim on Sun (Don't ask...suffice to say if you have not practiced swimming in it..do so..as soon as poss, then do it again& again etc).
Anyhow, I race in a tri suit which goes on under the wetsuit, along with my HRM..oh & if you have a timing chip...now is the time to put it on.....under wetsuit.
You lay out transition..personally I put my cycle shoes open & ready to slip on, I wear socks so they are in my shoes, my helmet..clip undone & straps spread open sit on top, glasses on top of that, number belt with No attached on top of that. So it goes (something) like this..stagger from swim (long way on Sun) locate bike, stripping upper body of wetsuit as staggering, get to bike, remove bottom of wetsuit..get stuck on feet (by now it is raining heavily) have to sit down on wet muddy grass to get feet out, put on glasses, put on belt, helmet, socks, shoes, remember I forgot to turn on HRM in swim, unrack bike, run with bike to mount line, get on go..still forget to turn on HRM.
Cycle in lousy conditions for 20km, back to transition, rack bike, off cycle shoes, on run shoes (elastic laces..gotta love em), take off helmet..run in lousy conditions for 5km...collapse in muddy heap at the end.
Hope fully yours will be much smoother & slicker than Sun was for me...practice tho'..I mean go for a ride or a run (or a swim), until you are truly breathless, get back home or wherever you are doing this & without pause, change from cyle to run shoes, or run to cycle, just to get the moves into your head..and then you can formulate your best layout for transition...most races have one transition, but I have raced where the bike began at point a...ending at point b..then you run, makes life a little more complex, but logic will tell you where to put everything..oh & always put your helmet on before you touch your bike, take it off after racking it..time penalties if you don't.
Hope that helps..ask more if not..PM me if you want to.

marnster
05-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks so much, brit! That is exactly what I wanted to know! A tri suit, huh? Shorts and tank under wetsuit? And (having never, ever worn a wetsuit in all my life) I assume the wetsuit keeps you nice and dry so that you aren't biking while completely soaked? Well, in your case you were soaked anyway from the rain! And I just HAVE to ask, brit: you didn't train in open water I take it? I am afraid my outdoor swims will be few, so that is the most frightening part of the whole triathlon for me!

britspin
05-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Cheers matey..glad to be of service. I race in a one piece trisuit, but you can get 2 piece ones.
The wetsuit actually works by letting in a little water to form a thin layer around the body between you and the neoprene, your body heat warms this & keeps you insulated, so , sorry, but you are still wet on the bike..but your trisuit will dry quickly..unless it is pouring of course!
Nope no time to practice outdoors in open water..BIG mistake, anything will be better than nothing, I could not get a rhythm going at all.
If you find the 'Me..it's me' thread & follow the link you can see me in my trisuit..I was trying to send me in & getting out of the wetsuit whilst staggering, but the files were too big, may try later.

JFK
05-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Marnie,

I'm not a tri person, but I do know this - it's called a wetsuit b/c you get wet (it lets water flow in) :). It also helps with buoyancy, so staying afloat is less fatiguing. A drysuit is what you use (not in tri, I would imagine) in situations of extreme cold - no water flows into those.

raptor
05-23-2006, 11:38 PM
stagger from swim (long way on Sun) ...
Cycle in lousy conditions for 20km ...
run in lousy conditions for 5km...collapse in muddy heap at the end.

Boy, that sounds fun! Can anyone really question why people compete? :)

Lynn

BrusselsSpin
05-24-2006, 03:38 AM
Marnie

Invest in elastic laces for your running shoes. I leave my cycling shoes attached to the clips and insert feet when riding - don't wear socks so makes it easier. Spend as much time as you can just practising those transitions getting your routine and rhythm sorted so that it's really methodical and second nature. Don't know what water temperatures you'll be swimming in - here it's usually damn cold hence wetsuit as it helps keep you warm. Sounds obvious but also when you're thinking about so many other things at the same time, be aware of your nourishment and fluid intake. And have a great time. You'll be great.

marnster
05-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Marnie,

I'm not a tri person, but I do know this - it's called a wetsuit b/c you get wet (it lets water flow in) :). It also helps with buoyancy, so staying afloat is less fatiguing. A drysuit is what you use (not in tri, I would imagine) in situations of extreme cold - no water flows into those.

<laughing at self> ok Jenn, that makes sense ;) I just figured it was called a wetsuit because the suit gets wet but you stay dry and warm!

Brussels: The water will be cold here too; I am guessing mid-upper 50's, if I'm lucky! Thanks for the tip about elastic shoelaces (brit mentioned them too)

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement! I appreciate it!

britspin
05-24-2006, 09:14 AM
Boy, that sounds fun! Can anyone really question why people compete? :)

Lynn
I was hoping for warm & dry..ho hum!

jawsmac
05-24-2006, 09:49 AM
I am also starting to train for my first tri....I am doing a sprint though. We did our first swim the other night, and I could not believe how hard it was. I run and teach IC all the time, so it ws discouraging. I hope that part gets easier.

I think you should go for it!!! It sounds like you are in incredible shape for it.

marnster
05-24-2006, 01:22 PM
jawsmac,

good luck with your training! it seems to me that swimming in the pool is going to be a piece of cake compared to what the open water swim will be like (for me anyway)! try not to get discouraged...especially since it was your first swim. just like your first IC class, it can only get better and you can only get more efficient with training, training, training!! :) The closer I get to my event, the more I wish it was a sprint distance! But, I am just going to go out there, have fun, and not worry so much about my time as I will about getting through it in one piece. Those swimmers are maniacs! :eek:

megale3
05-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Remember its the courage to continue that counts :D

marnster
05-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Amen, Mike! ;)

britspin
05-26-2006, 02:03 AM
Good luck Jaws..I am just about to go out for my Fri am swim..pool of course. Swimming is the most technical discipline, but your swim fitness soon develops, then it gets tricky when you attempt to correct all those little glitches in your stroke..well in MY stroke any way.
As for doing a sprint Marnster...yes the distances are short(ish) but think about that..its called a sprint because everything is done at full blast, olympic & (obviously) Ironman are more paced out due to the greater distances..not to detract from those that compete, but sprints can be brutal, so be careful what you wish for!
Like you say, enjoy the event, finish & finish strong, then you have a benchmark to compete against/improve.

pearl
05-26-2006, 01:29 PM
:) Lynn, great idea. Thanks for the tip!

Pearl, we are so close to each other! I checked out the link (it worked!) and I have heard a few people talking about that tri. I am going to be in Colorado that weekend for my bros. wedding, otherwise, I would have come to observe. I assume you are participating? The tri I am thinking of doing is called Johan's Tri Fest. It benefits Hospice of West Michigan and the Van Andel Institute Cancer Research Center, which are two very worthy causes and I should do it just because of that! Another local tri is called The Reeds Lake Triathlon. Have you heard of it?

I teach & practically live at the YMCA in downtown GR. It is an enormous facility, "state of the art", "green", and all that jazz. Just opened 10 months ago. You should drive up sometime ;) The indoor tri at your fitness center sounds like a great idea. Do you have a lot of participants? Maybe if I am bitten by the tri bug I can come down for 2007.
So, pearl, would you suggest I wear a wetsuit for this tri June 17th? I think I can guess....yes! :D Marnie

I guess I missed this post, didn't mean to take so long to reply.

Nope, not participating in the Seahorse this year. My knee doesn't seem to cooperate very well while running, probably years of abuse. Yes, I've heard of Reed's Lake, several members have participated in the past. I should drive up to your Y sometime. I drive up to Grand Rapids for silly things like shopping and concerts, so a Y trip isn't such a crazy idea.

Participation in our indoor tri varies between 20 and 40 people. It's a fun event to help out and/or participate.

I'm thinking YES to the wet suit, but you just never know in Michigan. :rolleyes:

marnster
05-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Pearl, if you ever come up this way and are planning on stopping by the Y, let me know! I would love you meet you. :)

This week I started the "bricks" ~ this morning was up at 4:45 am to get to gym by 5 am to swim for 35 minutes and then hit the spin class for 45 minutes. Didn't have time to run after that, though. Will go for my first "road" bike ride this weekend (clipped in and everything! you seasoned riders are probably :rolleyes: at me! lol) and yesterday I found out that falling, while clipped in, isn't so hard to do :eek: I'm just glad a friend warned me first. What a difference between my mountain bike (which feels, when lifted, like it's made of lead) and this road bike that a friend let me borrow (which I could almost lift with my pinky finger!)

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!

marnster
06-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Well, the triathlon is 2 weeks away and I have been training "brick" by "brick" now ;). Hopefully my outdoor swim will be this week.

I took the Bianchi out for a spin last week (I was in Denver over the weekend, otherwise I would have been riding it all weekend too!) and all I can say is WOW :D it is an awesome ride, not to mention the fact that my quads were screaming due to the fact that I am not used to riding outdoors :o I have a lot to learn! But, hey, at least I can clip in/out quickly now!!!! YIPPEE!!

Welcome back, everyone!

britspin
06-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Keep it up bro', then you can truly call yourself a triathlete.
Make sure you are clicked out before the dismount line at T2...you do not want to fall in front of everyone there..trust me!

marnster
06-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Keep it up bro', then you can truly call yourself a triathlete.
Make sure you are clicked out before the dismount line at T2...you do not want to fall in front of everyone there..trust me!

Thanks for the tip! I definitely can see that happening to me!

Well, I did it! My first outdoor swim...and boy was I scared. It went ok but it is sooooooo different than swimming in a nice, crystal clear pool! I must admit, I like the wetsuit. I think the one I am borrowing is a tad small, due to the sensation I had mid-swim (ie: middle of the lake) that someone was choking me. (too tight around the neck, ya think?)

Also, putting my face in that murky, green lake water took some getting used to. I thought I would panic at first, but just kept pace with the triathletes I swam with and started closing my eyes when face in water and opening them when I breathed. This helped my "claustrophobic" feeling. I swam 3/4 of a mile without stopping (my distance for next weeks tri is .9 miles) and I felt like I could have swam longer, but my fellow swimmers were going another 3/4 mile and I didn't want to go that far, nor did I want to swim back alone ... :eek:

There is a triathlon going on this weekend locally, and it was mentioned that I should go watch it to know what to expect when competing, however, I can't make it :( due to other obiligations, soooooo, the whole day will be a complete surprise to me! Any other tips? Anyone?

I am getting so excited now!

marnster
06-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Well, I must admit, I do feel ready (albeit very nervous) for the tri this Saturday. The last two nights I have had nightmares that I don't make it in time, or I arrive late and they are giving slot away to someone else, or I don't have my wetsuit on and everyone is running into the water :eek:
I feel comfortable in the open water, can clip in/out of my bike with relative ease and so the rest should be a piece of cake! :p Yeah, right.
Thanks to everyone who piped in with their advice. I'll let you know how it goes! ~M

britspin
06-18-2006, 08:38 AM
So..how did it (and you) go?

marnster
06-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Brit (and everyone)...it was so awesome!! :D I have never felt such elation (well, maybe when my daughter was born) but I was on top of the world when I crossed the finish line. Thanks for the advice about transitioning from bike to run. I unclipped both pedals just in time and didn't fall...thankfully!

The swim was the best part for me because I started in the second wave (men started in first wave - 5 minutes before women) and I was passing the men on the way back (out and back swim) which gave me a big confidence boost! This was short-lived, however, since most passed me in the biking portion :rolleyes: I learned one thing: I put way too much confidence in my experience with indoor cycling, so I didn't focus much on training outside for the bike portion of the tri :(. Although I did have some outdoor rides, I should have trained more outside and less inside. I started out with a great lead, and blew it on the bike. But hey, it was my first one, ya know? The run was difficult, as the temp. was 90F++ with as much % humidity. I just kept telling myself to keep going and allowed walking breaks at aid stations. God bless the homeowners that put their sprinklers where we would get a nice, refreshing, cool spray! I wouldn't have been able to keep a steady pace without it!

When I get my pix developed (yes, I still have a 35mm camera, I just can't part with it...) I will post a few.

Oh, my total time (Olympic distance tri) was 3:01. I can't wait for the next one in September!!

britspin
06-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Well..you did it, many congratulations.
Now you have a marker..go sub 3 hours, which with a good bike leg would be easy from your comments, you also have a better idea of pacing which will help.
Heres to September...and beyond.

marnster
06-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks, brit. I could probably learn to get my transitions under 2-1/2 minutes too :rolleyes: , which would save a little time. I noticed in the race results, some people transitioned in under a minute...WOW!

britspin
06-19-2006, 10:41 AM
So what took you?

marnster
06-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Good question...I went as fast as I could! Probably need to learn the "tricks of the trade" so-to-speak. Like I noticed one person had their bike shoes clipped to their pedals with rubberbands holding them in the 3 & 9 o'clock position for ease of transition (I think)...

Oh, it was probably that blasted wetsuit...a size too small...try peeling that off with HR 85%+ in under a minute :eek: Some women did the whole thing in their speedo bikini...but I am too :o for that!

britspin
06-19-2006, 11:28 AM
That shoe thing looks far too dodgy to me, balance time lost putting shoes on against time lost wobbling (in my case) around the first part of the bike whilst trying to get feet in shoes, whilst accelearating to race speed, looking ahead, avoiding traffic, slower (or wobblier) riders etc.
What if your bike leg starts at the bottom of a hill? Wombourne does in our neck of the woods.
No, tidy layout, helmet open, shoes open, tri number belt in helmet..open, socks (yes I know, but comfort rules here) in bike shoes, helmet atop shoes, strip wetsuit mostly on run out of water, shrug off rest at transition, helmet, sox, shoes, run to mount line, clip in & away you go..ensuring in right gear for terrain.

marnster
06-19-2006, 11:36 AM
No, tidy layout, helmet open, shoes open, tri number belt in helmet..open, socks (yes I know, but comfort rules here) in bike shoes, helmet atop shoes, strip wetsuit mostly on run out of water, shrug off rest at transition, helmet, sox, shoes, run to mount line, clip in & away you go..ensuring in right gear for terrain.

Precisely what I did! I even had my number already pinned to my shirt underneath my wetsuit. How long are your transitions (typically)?

britspin
06-19-2006, 11:43 AM
90 minutes give or take..no seriously..I'll check & get back to you.

raptor
06-20-2006, 12:02 AM
I learned one thing: I put way too much confidence in my experience with indoor cycling, so I didn't focus much on training outside for the bike portion of the tri :(. Although I did have some outdoor rides, I should have trained more outside and less inside. I started out with a great lead, and blew it on the bike. But hey, it was my first one, ya know?

Welcome to the world of Real Bikes. :D I go through a similar transition every Spring. It's dragging into Summer this year due to all the cross-training and work schedule. Man am I fat and slow!

I'm glad you enjoyed your event and did well. Last I heard (the previous millenium), strong cyclists had the advantage in triathlons because of the distance and time on the bike. Is that not as true nowadays?

Lynn

marnster
06-20-2006, 07:00 AM
Last I heard (the previous millenium), strong cyclists had the advantage in triathlons because of the distance and time on the bike. Is that not as true nowadays?

Absolutely!! I averaged 16.6 miles an hour, where the stronger/better cyclists were averaging 20-24 MPH (in this race). I know there were some hills where I must have slowed to 5 MPH; I was moving at a snail's pace.

I enjoyed every minute, though. I can't wait to get my own road bike (I had borrowed a Bianchi for this race) and spend more time outdoors on the bike. They'll be eating my dust in the next race...maybe.

britspin
06-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Last I heard (the previous millenium), strong cyclists had the advantage in triathlons because of the distance and time on the bike. Is that not as true nowadays?

It seems now that strong runners win the big events, particularly if drafting is allowed..a pack forms, no one will break away, and it all comes down to a 10k run race, which is a shame.
Altho' Hawaii Ironman was won on a bike bkast this year I believe..that would be 2005/6...