PDA

View Full Version : Thrown into the fire

pmcfarland
05-01-2006, 06:00 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Phil. I am an avid outdoor cyclist and have begun taking spinning classes at my local YMCA for approx 1 month. One of the directors asked if I would be interested in teaching and I said sure. The instructor classes will not be held until August so she asked me to fill in until I could get actual instruction. My first class is tomorrow and after seeing what all is involved with making profiles and timing of music I realize I don't have a clue how to instruct this class. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Phil

Spinnin' My Heart Out
05-01-2006, 06:19 AM
there are so many awesome ideas available on this site! keep reading post, search posts and you'll be amazed at what you'll find.

i just sent you a pm, feel free to contact me! i'll be more than happy to help in any way i can, b

Pink
05-01-2006, 06:31 AM
Phil, wow, you've more guts than I have! I'd normally suggest paging through past threads but you are really facing a time crunch. Here's a link to a recent one that you may find helpful.

http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.php?t=1830

Profile: keep it simple. Easy out & back ride. A progressive climb. Cadance building within safe parameters, etc.

Music: use what motivates you. Know it well.

Coaching: I basically coach what needs to be coached. If everyone is riding well, I keep my mouth shut except for the occasional tips to keep things moving forward.

Yes, there are a lot of parts: safe movements, technique, music, coaching, etc. Try to relax and have fun. It took me time to trust that I had a handle on all parts of the ride. Good luck and stay in touch. I am always picking up ideas here!