PDA

View Full Version : Neuro Linguistic Programming

rick316
04-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Does anyone study NLP? Any opinions....

JoyofSpin
04-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Don't study it although now that I just looked at it - think I should give it a go for my daughter with OCD. Let me know what you decide. - Joy

rick316
04-23-2006, 04:27 PM
I believe in it's abilities in a big way.I don't know enough about it but it's definately on my list of topics to study.Imagine planting a trigger in every class you teach that enables them to achieve even more than they dream possible....sounds good yeah?

JFK
04-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Well, of course it sounds good....in your explorations of the topic, you might want to take in the skeptics' views as well:

http://skepdic.com/neurolin.html
(http://skepdic.com/neurolin.html)

and from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming

I'm personally skeptical of things that evade review by others. But, hey, I'm a scientist-in-training, so that's to be expected. :)

Robert
04-24-2006, 03:37 AM
Rick, did you see Derren Brown over the weekend? He implanted subliminal messages in an advert and showed it in a local cinema before the main feature. The idea was to stop those in cinema from remembering the plot of the film.

When interviewing those coming out of the cinema, there were a lot of blank faces when asked to say what the film was about.

I don't know what he did (they couldn't show it because it's illegal) but it worked!

veespin
04-24-2006, 06:06 AM
I'm personally skeptical of things that evade review by others.

So you're saying I should hold off on the purchase of the foil hat and the crop circle essence, then??

Vivienne

JFK
04-24-2006, 08:03 AM
Well, if the foil hat is very chic, and the crop circle essence smells nice, I see no reason to hold off...

rick316
04-24-2006, 09:04 AM
Rick, did you see Derren Brown over the weekend? He implanted subliminal messages in an advert and showed it in a local cinema before the main feature. The idea was to stop those in cinema from remembering the plot of the film.

When interviewing those coming out of the cinema, there were a lot of blank faces when asked to say what the film was about.

I don't know what he did (they couldn't show it because it's illegal) but it worked!

I think I've seen that film,was it the one with...oh who was it,you know that actor who was in the other film,his name will come to me in a minute:D

Robert
04-24-2006, 09:21 AM
I think I've seen that film,was it the one with...oh who was it,you know that actor who was in the other film,his name will come to me in a minute:D

Wot film? :confused:

:D

britspin
04-24-2006, 11:11 AM
I got a NLP in 7 days book a while ago, seemed OK for 4..lots of it semed to be statements of the bleedin' obvious, but some of it made one think about phrasing, what one said & how to whom.

rick316
04-24-2006, 11:23 AM
{Off Topic}

Welcome home,hope you had a good hols.:)

BrusselsSpin
04-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Interesting thread. I work with a few of people who have done several NLP courses. One of them uses the thing as a crutch and structures her entire life around it. It can be a little freaky and a bit pseudo-religious even. One admits that she uses it as mind manipulation - not sure I like that concept and the third deploys it sparingly as a tool in the work context that she outs down when she leaves the office. I think what I'm saying is that it is positive in some hands and not so positive in others. I can't help wondering whether a lot of it is "common sense" and packaged so that someone somewhere can make some good money and I do share some of the same thoughts as JFK's sceptics.

britspin
04-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Sceptical is good...and there is an awful lot of common sense in it.

britspin
04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Off Topic..great thanks..did you miss me?

rick316
04-26-2006, 11:13 AM
We missed your marvelous wit and humor...it's taking a few days to get back into your stride,isn't it!:D

JFK
04-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Sceptical is good...and there is an awful lot of common sense in it.

I don't disagree. I just have a problem with people repackaging it and selling common sense back to others for lots of $$. OTOH, I suppose you could argue that if you're willng to pay for common sense you haven't got much in the first place.

Slick marketing being what it is, I suspect many would have a hard time recognizing it for what it is and not as some amazing breakthrough (which is how they market it).

Robert
04-27-2006, 05:05 AM
I suppose you could argue that if you're willng to pay for common sense you haven't got much in the first place.

Hits the nail on the head - I'll remember this line for future use! :cool:

britspin
04-28-2006, 04:34 AM
See.. I bought the NLP in 7 days for 4.00, now thats common sense..all the rest were thick books for 10+, an over view was all I needed, it's only common sense.
Besides what is that saying, no one ever got rich underestimating the publics stupidity.