PDA

View Full Version : distractions

Christian spinner
05-01-2004, 01:07 AM
Hi Guys~
I was wanting to improve my coaching skills and I could use some help with visuals, 3 dimentional queing, associatioand and disassocional queing. I just want to add to what I already do inclass. I wanted to see what works for you and try something new. Any new games you play. Just to let you know I am a music freak and I am backwards and you all will probably think less of me for doing this but, I pick music first :D and then build a profile to suit it. I tend to do a lot of interval profiles because that is what the classes seem to like and I am sure we could get in a long heated discussion on why I should do things RIGHT? But let's just let Debbi do things the way she wants to. I am safe and I always keep an eye on my crew. So know I don't go into this halfheartedly or blinded. That was an earfull :eek: not sure you needed to hear that. But, I am sure some of you would agree :rolleyes: . So what you got to say? You guys are the best and I am so glad to have found these sights. :D ( Did I butter you up enough :p )

Keep Riding and looking up!
Debbi

cyclefreak
05-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Debbi - I understand why you worry, but I don't think the people at this site will attack you. :) Hopefully, we've all learned from ugliness at other sites and aren't going to bring that attitude here.

I'd like some help in this area as well. I don't do much visual stuff, but I do say things like, "after we crest this hill, there's a rest area at the bottom. Push yourself to get to the top, then we'll pull over for a break!" It's kind of cheesy but people seem to like cheese. :rolleyes:

For games, the only thing I really do is split the class into teams. I think people like that because as team 1 is sprinting, team 2 is cheering them on, and I think they enjoy hearing encouragement from someone other than just me all the time. Everyone knows each other by name in my class, so it makes it easier to have that atmosphere.

As for the interval rides, we do those a lot too. People love it. And the ones who come do M/W/S so no one gets overworked. My Tues/Thurs 6:00 a.m. class is just an entirely different group, and they aren't as into it. They never come on Saturdays. But even if they did, they've still got Friday off for recovery. These people aren't training for events, they're just there to get the best workout in a manner they enjoy the most. So that's what I try to give them.

Wish I had more ideas for you. Maybe we'll get some good ones from the group!

Cheeze
05-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Since it appears I was invited into this thread I will post a reply. I'm not big on visualizations - but I love motivational stuff. Go-Go-Go just doesn't work in our classes anymore. Debbi the best suggestion I can give you is you have to postion yourself in the best possible environment to learn. This forum is a great start. We have an instructor who spends a lot of her free time paging through and taking notes from books on: sports psychology, mental training, flow, breathing, relaxation, etc at Borders. I like to ride classes from as many presenters and other instructors as I can. Surround yourself with books on coaching, motivation and influencing people. Look for and read success stories. Tune into OLN and really "watch" the races and see if you can use any of the commentary in your coaching. Bring parts of the Armstrong and Carmichael books into your coaching and into your classes.

My wife kids me that I feel everything I come across in life could be use in a Spinning class. I guess she's right because I've taken stuff from my pastors sermons, the Lutheran Digest magazine and some of the childrens periodicals and books at her school. I wonder how Vince Lombardi would feel about being quoted in a Spinning class.

I hope this helps some because I'm not real sure what you meant by: associational and disassociational queing. Let me know if there is any more I can do to help.

Cheeze
---------------
Create a vision of who you want to be - and then live into that picture as if it were already true.

Sven
05-06-2004, 03:44 PM
I like visualizations very much. I often ride with my racer at the weekend and then I tell the people about this profile on monday/tuesday and we take that trip virtually through the villages here around. This is very motivational & authentically stuff for them and I also like to combine this with heartrategames.

They also like pyramids...for example 2 minutes to get 75% MHF. Then they have to hold it 5 minutes...2minutes relaxation on 65% then 7minutes on 85%...and back on 65% and so one (pyramid)

At the end a high performance effort.
Sven

fit4life
05-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Though I use a lot of imagery in my classes, I also use some motivational coaching where I even pick a motivational theme that I come back to periodically in the class. My sources for motivation are everything from classic sports coaching and motivational techniques to using biblical scripture (though the class doesn't usually know it's the latter source!). Great example of using scripture-- there is a verse in Hebrews that talks about throwing off everything that hinders us, and running the race with perserverence. I'll bring up examples of what we want to reach into our pockets and throw off as we cycle-- being distracted with a bad day at work, the sting of the burn as we're climbing hard, etc. During the first part of class, we'll do the "throw off" to prepare ourselves, and then midway through class I'll ask if any of those things jumped back in their pocket, and to reach in again and give it a good hurl!! Running the race with perserverence involves thinking about how they are feeling to gauge how much to push themselves over the hour, and also reflecting on how far they've come and how much is left with encouragement of their hard work so far, that we're all in the race together to the end giving our best along the way. Hope these are motivating ideas for you too!!

KathieSpinz
01-19-2006, 04:47 PM
I do a lot of different things to get people to smile towards the end of a tough class. Like playing that song by Dire Straits, "Money for Nothing". They've been climbing for awhile and getting tired, and when the song starts to say (towards the end) "I Want My, I Want My, I Want My MTV", I'll split the class in half and have them compete on which half can sing it the loudest. They're out of breath & it's not easy, but it gets them going & laughing & the recovery is right around the corner. If it's too easy, I'll tell them so & that they're not working hard enough! Then I'll make them do some hill slams or something. Anyway, it breaks up the monotony!

finnspin
01-20-2006, 12:57 AM
I ride outdoors and use those sounds smells and views when describing a profile. I tell my new students to start paying attention to the local roads(Catskills of NY State) beacuase we will refer to them often. I've found it helps when I ask them to go up a hill. They can see feel and smell it. I describe that feeling climbing early morning the dew the quiet the animals and birds.Ahhhhhh got lost sorry. See it works! I've also have done the OLN thing using teams. The 4 lap criterium we rode as a team of 7 and by lap 3 working together i starting giving team leader directions as to where each of us rode and hoow to overcome the teams in front of us. I added a Sprint at the end as we overtook Lance and the Discovery Team. Wow were they surprised how strong they felt and rode. Good luck and welcome:cool: