PDA

View Full Version : What do I know? I'm only a well taught,knowledgeable coach...right?

rick316
04-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Ok,i'm sure this kind of thread has been posted before but I have to post anyway.

I've just finished covering a 'show' class as opposed to a spinning class and had the usual 'you're not going to kill us,are you?' comments prior to the start.I'm used to that,no problem.What I can not get used to is the same participant coming up to me everytime,grin on face,saying "you know what I like but you don't do" (:rolleyes: you can hear it before I type it,can't you???) "those fast short sprints".

Everytime,without fail,we have the same conversation.I explain to him,in detail,why they are not safe,why I won't do them and that they do nothing for him.

This time,he started to argue that I was wrong! I want to say "I give up" but I don't have the energy!!! lol:D

Pink
04-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Age old problem and we're certainly not going to solve it.

Velojunkie
04-06-2006, 03:58 PM
I must get that 3 times a week. (That and backward pedaling.......)
I do use short sprints in my Elite class, however. I have a group of racers that I coach 3 X a week before my regular class and my regular students see them doing these through the windows and I am constantly fighting off their requests for them.

rick316
04-06-2006, 04:00 PM
I do use short sprints in my Elite class, however. I have a group of racers that I coach 3 X a week before my regular class .

I'm talking about the ones where they have no resistance and 300 rpm:eek:

Velojunkie
04-06-2006, 04:03 PM
No Resistance??? Whoa nellie! that's an ACL or ML waiting to be torn...

alexkaboom
04-06-2006, 04:05 PM
No Resistance??? Whoa nellie! that's an ACL or ML waiting to be torn...

Yep... either that or they all have titanium knees...

Alex

RaffCycles
04-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Rick, I can relate. It's like they hear "Blah Blah Blah...." Wish I had a dollar for everytime I get that one. I'd be able to buy Mad Dog (the cheap wine not the home of Spinning).

EuroD
04-06-2006, 04:39 PM
;)Yep, I have too have the ones that peddle like they're going to take off! Takes everything I have not to ask where they're flying to today. What I've started doing, is taking a spare bike - yes, we all have one from time to time - I take all the resistance off, and spin the wheel as hard as I can. The sucker is going and going, and I wait - for some to ask "when will it stop?" - AHA! That's when I explain that this is what happens when there's no resistance - that's why you have to add it. Amazing when you see the lightbulb go on :D

Oh, I get the backwards thing - I have my moments when I go deaf - that being one of them :p

megale3
04-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Yah they tried to spin Beattles songs back wards and the Walrus became a hit Ko ka ka cheuuuuuu.:D Dude I had a woman come up to me after a class and said how she dug the "other teachers "sprints" and was waving her arms around frantically in a circle. I was like "that is a mt bike in first gear, you are going no where." I would let them do sprints after they load the wheel up with some resistance that created a push point at around 2 oclock. Then go for it and while your at it add gear untill you have felt that you where in a sprint to win something, get away from a mad dog (not MDA) or tring to hang on to a gap that is starting to move away from you. You know just before you feel like there is no air left in the world.
Heres to sucking beans with resistance dude
Don't sweat the small Shizat
M

rick316
04-06-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm so lucky in that the 6 classes I teach regularly are attended by the people who want to iprove their fitness and learn too.The other classes want the 'show'.I have to cover the class in the morning(the one I posted about last week) and they have already asked me for a 'sing-along' class....I'll keep you all posted :confused:

raptor
04-07-2006, 03:05 AM
I sometimes spring the "real bikes" line on 'em. A "real bike" gets HARDER to pedal the faster you pedal it, no matter the gear. If your flywheel feels light during a sprint, you need to add resistance.

Lynn

Pink
04-07-2006, 06:56 AM
I'm so lucky in that the 6 classes I teach regularly are attended by the people who want to iprove their fitness and learn too.

Rick, I'm sure that's not a coincidence. You've got something to do with it.

SpinManiac
04-07-2006, 07:53 AM
I'm so lucky in that the 6 classes I teach regularly are attended by the people who want to iprove their fitness and learn too.The other classes want the 'show'.I have to cover the class in the morning(the one I posted about last week) and they have already asked me for a 'sing-along' class....I'll keep you all posted :confused:

By "sing along class", do they just want music that they've head before or do they actually want to sing along?

Cheeze
04-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Rick I have a standard response for those students. (And they have heard it so many times they can probably recite it verbatim by now).

"As your instructor I care about my students and I will not do anything that could potentially hurt you. Also your time is valuable - so I do not want to waste it." Through my research and experience I have found that high cadence sprints are hard on the legs (as Velo posted) and have very little if any training benefit. That's why we don't do them in my classes.

Good luck to all of you. High cadence sprints are in the top five of things I wish I did not have to deal with as a Spinning instructor.

Cheeze

rick316
04-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Oh my,what a lot of great responses,I thank you.

Let's answer these one by one,

Pink:Thank you,I really appreciate that,kind words shout loud.

SpinManiac:You guess......

Cheeze:High cadence thingamee wotsits are my top five things I hate dealing with.

================
To add salt to the wound of this long story,of all the regulars who requested the particular type of tracks,absolutely none of them turned up today.:mad: I had 5 turn up which earned me 1.25 more than had I just worked the hour in the gym as I was doing before and after the class.

There's more! All week,I had notified reception I was covering the class.During the ride,all 5 let me know reception had told them I wasn't riding and it was a new instructor.I'm curious how many decided not to ride because they thought it wasn't the class they wanted with an instructor they didn't know.I don't know what your clients are like but over here they are very loyal to those that they know.

The moral here:Never compromise your style for anyone.

Robert
04-07-2006, 11:32 AM
You lot are just too nice when it comes to these speed-cadence freaks.

After all the prompting to turn up reistance to slow the legs, etc. I just say that if you're still pedalling that fast, you're obviously not doing any work.

Blunt but the looks it gets from the others in the class ensures that peer pressure reaches the parts that instructors can't reach :rolleyes:

veespin
04-07-2006, 01:25 PM
After all the prompting to turn up reistance to slow the legs, etc. I just say that if you're still pedalling that fast, you're obviously not doing any work.

One of the reasons I appreciate having new class members is that I get to do a back to basics speech on what the HR and cadence parameters are all about....and that "slowing your legs down" doesn't mean just that but that you should be adding resistance to cause the slowing and that "on a hill" means going up not down.

I give them a three-fold heads-up on pedalling with a high cadence against inadequate resisitance

1) Little to no work being done (good if you want to take a class without needing to shower afterwards)
2) High potential for injury
3) Looks really, really stoopid....and the higher the cadence, the higher the giggle factor

You'd think one of the three would do it.

Vivienne

gritsatsix
04-07-2006, 02:09 PM
You lot are just too nice when it comes to these speed-cadence freaks.

Blunt but the looks it gets from the others in the class ensures that peer pressure reaches the parts that instructors can't reach :rolleyes:

Love it, Robert! I have a couple that still fight me on this issue. Maybe a little peer pressure will get results.:D