PDA

View Full Version : What is the best approach?

gilberth
03-15-2006, 06:32 PM
The manager of my gym would like everyone to get an instructor's certification in addition to a Spinning certification. She feels that understanding physiology is important and suggests ACE certification. I looked at the cost as well as AFAA certification and feel that if I do another certification it would be an expensive duplication to also continue my MD certification every 2 years especially since we're no longer a Spinning authorized gym.
My club has been very supportive and has paid for MDA classes I've taken in order to earn STAR pts for recertification but I need to look down the road for my continuing education.
Any suggestions?
Howard

JFK
03-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Any CED you do that gives you STAR points also gives you ACE and AFAA points, so you do not have to do twice the CED to maintain those other certs.

HTH,

gilberth
03-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Jennifer,
If I decided to go for my ACE instructor certification I would have to follow a specified course of instruction and take an exam. I couldn't take MDA courses
in place of the ACE courses and hope to gain what I needed to pass the exam. It would be a lengthy and expensive process and would force me to
put aside CE classes through MDA.
In the meantime I'll follow through with getting my Spinning Recertification as it will be good for two years.
Howard

JFK
03-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Howard,

Are you talking about courses that ACE requires, or that are necessary for you to learn the material to pass the ACE exam? I have been ACE certified for 12 years, and it's entirely possible they've changed things since I did it, but at that time you could sit for the exam if you felt you had command of the material (apparently many people did not, as the pass rate was fairly low).

Even if you had to let a certification lapse, nothing prevents you from taking CED periodically, or from re-certififying once you complete the ACE process.

Just giving you food for thought...it's tough trying to balance all these competing interests.

gilberth
03-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Jennifer,
The ACE website states that it takes 2-6 months of preparation to get ready to take the exam. Since I don't have a background in exercise science I'd imagine it would be quite an undertaking.
There are of course many other organizations that offer certifications in exercise science but may not be as legitimate of as widely recognized as ACE or AFAA. It is a balance between the needs of my club and my own. Either way I would want the outcome to be useful and not just a paper chase.
Howard

Robert
03-16-2006, 03:39 AM
Sorry to semi-hijack this thread but I have a question for the UK spinners.

If we want to be on the national register of exercise professionals (which some gyms require),we now HAVE TO be certified with a Level 2 qualification such as Gym or Exercise to Music Instructor.

Does the JSG course count as a Level 2 qualification? I have no interest in doing anything other than indoor cycling and it ticks me off that to teach it at most gyms I need a useless qualification. Likewise, that anyone doing the Exercise to Music course can teach indoor cycling even though they've sat on a saddle.

I am looking for a course to re-certify as JSG but cannot afford to do both.

britspin
03-16-2006, 06:52 AM
Hi Robert, as I understand it JGSI would not count as a L2 qual, & tho' I understand your reticence to pay out more, I have to say that most ETM quals have such a poor anatomy & physiology component, it does hardly seem to be worthwhile, but....and there always is a but....the extra grounding is so useful, I've acquired all my quals over the years, and since I was a non ETM gym boy to begin with, I have a much broader base to teach & inform from, making me much more employable, altho not to the extent of paying me scads of cash...ho hum.
You don't need to know all that stuff, but it does help when a complex query comes up, once in a blue moon.
Sadly in the UK the YMCA etm qual is something of a benchmark, & when I did it the A&P was shocking...if it has not changed I would guess you would breeze it. Premier training was much better, more in depth.
Contact REPS & see what they say, they are toughening up, but it is always worth an ask.