PDA

View Full Version : Hallelujah!!

JFK
03-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Oh man, it has been a looooong winter. And this weekend it acted like spring! And I got to ride outside! A bunch! I have been cooped up in the lab since last fall and I finally broke out. I know, I know, it'll get cold and nasty again, probably soon. But oh, that sun, the warm temps...mmmmm. :D

Tolzer
03-12-2006, 10:21 PM
We still have approx. 3 feet of snow here. Just received my new Trek Fuel 110 Carbon and I am dying to take it out. My first cross country/MTB race of the season is just around the corner in Aviano, Italy. I need that big heat tab in the sky to come our way and melt this white stuff.

Tolzer ;)

megale3
03-12-2006, 10:53 PM
AMEN to that guys :D
Racing just around the corner. Jen anytime trials coming up? Tolz what is your weight on that bike?
Megale

Pink
03-13-2006, 05:15 AM
It's been an odd 8 months for me...Had a big accident July 3 and haven't been able to ride...

But I rode on Saturday with my Physical Therapist. 25 miles on my brand new bike. On a day that broke temperature records.

Life is strange.

JFK
03-13-2006, 11:33 AM
AMEN to that guys :D
Racing just around the corner. Jen anytime trials coming up? Tolz what is your weight on that bike?
Megale

Our district TT is in late May (I think, they just changed it last year) and I know there's a nice one in the NY area sometime after that. I just want to get back in shape first. :) It always helps to have a goal, but anything before May would be silly (for me) at this point.

megale3
03-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Jen I am sure that you are not too far out :) I hope that your base miles go by fast.
Pink whats the new bike???
Megale

Pink
03-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Spectrum -- I'm sure you've never heard of it.

Wanna see it? It's the outlandishly painted frame just above "customers and their bikes." (yup, the pink/orange/yellow fade)

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/53.htm

I call it my circus bike. But I'll tell you one thing, it's impossible to see it without smiling (and shaking your head)!

megale3
03-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Spectrum -- I'm sure you've never heard of it.

Wanna see it? It's the outlandishly painted frame just above "customers and their bikes." (yup, the pink/orange/yellow fade)

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/53.htm

I call it my circus bike. But I'll tell you one thing, it's impossible to see it without smiling (and shaking your head)!

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/images/53/61.jpg
You mean this one? Hey thats a nice bike! what componants did you hang on her?? I appriciate the peeps that look for individuality. As long as your are grinnin when you ride it :D
Megale

Pink
03-13-2006, 02:42 PM
lol! That's her.

10-speed Dura Ace, Ksyrium SL's, FSA compact gears (hey, I ain't getting any younger).

Tom Kellogg is/was the chief engineer for Merlin. Spectrum is his custom-bike company. However, he sends the specs to Merlin and they make the frame, then he does all the hand finishing. Wonderful guy.

Yousa, she's a bright one!

megale3
03-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Did you hear that Dura ace is going servo? There is a story on the electronics of the up and coming groupo and I think that we are going to rename the ACE to "Dura Cell" :D Nice ride hope that you have lots of great miles.
Megale

Tolzer
03-14-2006, 06:43 AM
Nice bike you have there Pink! :)

The Trek Fuel 110 OCLV 110 Carbon is a full suspension cross country/MTB bike. It weights in at 10.45 Kgs or 23 lbs. Now the roadies will freak out at a bike that weighs in at 23 lbs. However, all of us cross country and MTB riders consider this full suspension bike to be lightweight. Old man winter will not let us go.......

Tolzer ;)

megale3
03-14-2006, 09:49 AM
I have a hard tail 2005 Rock hopper and it weighs like 30 lbs so I think that yours is pretty damn light. But my Road bike weighs a little less than 17 and a half. Hey may be its time for a little get away Tolzer.
Megale

Pink
03-14-2006, 12:22 PM
The weight thing cracks me up. I wanted to keep my old Shimano 959 (?) pedals. Yes, I know they are mountain bike pedals but, darnit, I love them. Everyone was telling me how heavy they are and I shouldn't put them on the next bike. LOL, like a few grams matter. Heck, if I cared that much, I'd eat a few less Oreos.

Tolzer
03-14-2006, 12:30 PM
I hear ya Pink!

Some of the people that I ride with say things like: "Hey, if you replace that cable with this kind of cable you can save 2 grams". Then I look at em and say "Dude, my carbon pedals cost more than your whole bike"...:p

But seriously, I went from a 33 lb Kona DEE-LUX to a 23 lb fully Trek. Moving away from the heavy duty MTB stuff to more of a cross country race mode.

Tolzer ;)
(Stuck in a snow cave, that will never melt)

megale3
03-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Yah I have a forum that I frequent (believe it or not :) )and besides from threads that post to show off your thighs and how low is you RHR they have this huge trip on the lightest bike. Now if they would only take off two pounds off their persons they wouldn't need to worry about the bike.:p
Megale

JFK
03-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Right on. Cheapest way to shave (kilo)grams from the bike is to take it off your own bad self. ;) Of course, that's not as sexy as buying new, gram weenie components...

megale3
03-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Totally! CF seat post? why not? CF bottle cages? a must!
Sometimes the best pick-me-up is a trip down to the LBS!

Pink
03-14-2006, 03:41 PM
The owner of my favorite LBS offered me a job recently and I laughed asked him doing what. He said "anything." LOL. I'm currently a lady of leisure and told him I'd have to pass him up on his offer. Basically, I knew what would happen...I'd spend more than I made. I already do that with spinning (music budget), I don't need another negative cash flow job.

megale3
03-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Hey you never know next thing you do is own a bike shop and do Indoor cycling classes in the back:cool:
Megale

keifer
03-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Right on. Cheapest way to shave (kilo)grams from the bike is to take it off your own bad self. ;) Of course, that's not as sexy as buying new, gram weenie components...

First off ... love the bike ... course now I'm bugging my wife to let me get a real bike to add to my collection, okay it's only 1 bike ... Giant Pegasus for my 60km a day of commuting ... but it's amazing the weight you can shed with a carbon bar and post ... and going from 240lbs to 185lbs ... now I have to buy all new bike clothes awww what a shame :D

Pink
03-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Megale, actually, that's another thing he proposed for next winter. He had a group of 20 or so riders bring in their bikes & trainers into the shop this winter and they rode to videos. He's thinking next year, he'd try music...and me.

BTW, funny story...I've a ton of memory issues from my accident. Anyway, the day after the accident I was talking to someone on the phone & they asked me if I was on my new bike (it had been ordered but not yet delivered--thankfully!). I hung up the phone and asked my husband what they were talking about. I had NO memory of a new bike. Then I went 'out' again. When I came too, the first thing I asked was the color of the new bike. My husband said he was almost afraid to tell me!

veespin
03-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Basically, I knew what would happen...I'd spend more than I made. I already do that with spinning (music budget), I don't need another negative cash flow job.

Well, the way I get round this is by telling myself..."Hey....I'm a DOCTOR'S wife. I deserve it!"

It works for me (if no-one else!)

Vivienne

Pink
03-14-2006, 07:58 PM
So funny, I am too!

megale3
03-14-2006, 11:17 PM
I think that it would be great to be coaching something like that. Go for it! I just saw a new type trainer tonight that doesn't impact your tires and rides on rollers at the rim of the wheel in the same spot that your breaks ride when compressed. It is very quiet and they look like they take a lot of impact off the bike. :cool: have you seen these type of trainers?
Megale

Pink
03-15-2006, 05:11 AM
No, but because of spinning, I've never used a trainer. But I was thinking that if this thing does pan out next winter, I'd buy a cheap set of wheels and change them out beforehand.

I agree, it would be fun to be coaching a room of outside riders. Quite different that the coffee clatch I'm used to.

megale3
03-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Quite different that the coffee clatch I'm used to.
Now there is a new term I am not use too :D
I have started periodization scheduled trainings out door for the clubs I work for. We are out of our base building phase (thank god) and on to sub LT training on flats (giving it a little push) this is a great way to train the roadies in class and make a couple extra for the club and myself- they really enjoy it- we do the same terrain for 4 to 8 weeks depending and use the overload therory to measure the amount of training effort. Its fun stuff and people seem to love it.
Megale

Pink
03-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Wait, so these are outdoor rides? How does it work? Do people sign up for a certain number of rides, pay an extra gym fee, show up with their bikes and you ride once a week? Very cool.

Tolzer
03-15-2006, 01:49 PM
http://www.youngmanridge.com/pop/movies/Rudolph/Rudolph%20-%20Snowman%20-%201.jpg

Can you see this :rolleyes: He said that his name was Sam the SnowMan.
He is eveywhere I go. In fact, as I drove into work today, he was following me on a sled singing some song.

http://www.youngmanridge.com/pop/movies/Rudolph/Rudolph%20-%20Yeti%20-%208.jpg

You must understand that I live in the Alps, about 10 Kilometers from Austria. I came around this mountain range with Sam the Snowman following me on his sled, singing some song, and then I saw this. :eek:

I made it into work, and these things were hanging around outside my office window, still singing songs.

Made it through the day, went home and talked to my new bike. Spun the wheels around and sighed. Looked at the weather forecast for the 18th time today...and Spring is just around the corner.

Hey Pink, we also have many folks that get together on a reqular basis. Check with some of your local bike shops. Many of them have organized rides.

Our first organized ride will take us to a glacier lake, then off to the highest Austrian brewery for some great food and drink. Yum! :)

Think I will go outside with my snow friends and sing some kind of a song. :p

Tolzer ;)

snowbunny
03-15-2006, 02:03 PM
I got in my last ski trip of the season Sunday, hitting ELK resort...just on the outside of the Pocono's. So, I wasn't about to let some snow legs get to me on Monday when it was a beautiful 68 degrees in PA. Off I went for my first ride this season on the road. Boy, there is still a lot of gravel/junk from the winter....so of course...tried to be more careful than usual.

Talking about bikes...my road bike is a TREK. (I got this new one for my birthday last June. It is carbon...and soooo sweet! I am the weight on it....it is so light, and flies!!!) It's color is silver,....so all you will see when I pass you by is a "silver streak".....

My calendar is already starting to fill up with rides:
May 7th: The Five Boro's Ride in NY (42 miles)
May 21st: The Hanover Cyclers annual Horse Farm Ride
(25,35,50,75 or 100 miles...you choose)
June 4th: Hamstead, MD (Hamstead Cycling Classic)

and this is just the start of the season. There are several weekly rides with our local bike club. I think Thursday is the only day a ride is not scheduled. Some are day rides and some evening rides. Between the cycle clubs in Pennsylvania and Maryland....I'm pretty busy kicking up dust!!

All are invited to the Horse Farm ride on May21st....beautiful, beautiful scenery....For more information go to www.Hanovercyclers.org (http://www.Hanovercyclers.org)

>>> Someone asked about outside rides as a possible class. I would highly suggest having the participants sign a waiver or release form. (Liability thing...) . And then also give out "cue" sheets, so if anyone gets seperated....they know where the ride is going. As a lead rider, we have them sign the release form, and also give us their cell number, which they carry a cell phone in their pack. This way we can find anyone that was dropped.

Well, I have said more than my 2 cents....sorry.

Catch you on the road, "in my mirror"....ha,ha.

Pink
03-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Tolzer, hope you thaw out soon. Are you from Germany or are you an ex-pat? Yes, I do ride with a couple local bike clubs but I never thought about forming an outside ride with our club spinners.

Snowbunny. We are currently debating whether or not to do the 5 Boros ride. Have you ever done it? We've been told it's more of an event than a ride and that we should rent hybrids and not bring our road bikes. I'm still a little tentative about riding close to anyone so I'm not sure I want to do it this year.

And I'm also from PA and will look into the Hanover ride. Have you ever heard of the Covered Bridge Ride out of Bucks County? My favorite.

veespin
03-15-2006, 03:19 PM
So funny, I am too!

I knew that!

Actually, it's something of a joke in one of my classes. For some reason, there are an unusual number of female professionals....a physician, a couple of lawyers, an accountant, an architect......with "matching" spouses, and we all ride outside, too.

Whenever we compare notes on some bauble or other we've bought for the bike(s), or some new bike shorts or the cost of a race entry etc., that's what we always say.... "Hey, I'm a doctor's/lawyer's/architect's wife....I deserve it"

It's funny at the time.....really.

Vivienne

Pink
03-15-2006, 03:41 PM
I guess something should make up for the insane hours, stress, malpractice insurance, etc. Would you believe one of my husband's patients showed up at our door at 10:30 at night, asking if he'd listen to her lungs??? We were in bed, for crying out loud!!!

Other than the occasional wollop (like a custom bike), I'm a pretty cheap date. No interest in cars, jewelry, fashion (other than workout stuff)...

megale3
03-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Wait, so these are outdoor rides? How does it work? Do people sign up for a certain number of rides, pay an extra gym fee, show up with their bikes and you ride once a week? Very cool.

Yah it is pretty fun- briefly itís like this -message me if you have more questions.

I have a series of phases and they are based on time, cog and chain ring goals being- to spin on 4 different roads that we have around here in P town. We are on the flats right now and doing TT's itís an out and back ride along the Columbia River and is 10 miles each way. I time them on their initial run and then on subsequent weeks they must beat their last attempt in chain ring/cog and time at a certain cadence or there is a workout that has to be done during the week. That leads its self into another phase which builds power and strength and is on a suitable incline (3 degrees average) that runs for more distance and loops back which also challenges them to add ring/cog and time to their spin. Then there is the rolling hills phase and the mountain phase all in all it takes 4 months and we start early to get in tune for their metric, full and double century goals. Works really well and gets them out of doors as soon as we can. They look forward to our time I have 6 people right now and a couple of more that want the chance to join in but I only have so much time. I have asked each of them to finish a metric century by April 30th and they have agreed to the Monster Cookie Metric Century put on by the Salem Cycling Club- besides there are cookies when they are done! Oh and yes there are waivers and disclaimers to sign. ;)
Megale

Pink
03-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Dang, that's AWESOME. Absolutely awesome! Did the outdoor cyclist find you through spinnning or did you court them from local bike clubs?

What time of night do you start? I'd think lack of daylight could be an issue.

megale3
03-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Yah its through the clubs I teach at and it gets dark quick but we are slowly moving away from the weekends now and going to Tuesdays in addition at 4:00 pm which gives us 2 hrs plus right now.
Megale