PDA

View Full Version : Let's Go Guys...

marnster
02-27-2006, 02:34 PM
This question seems rather rudimentary; however, I am curious to know how other instructors address their classes...

I have fallen into a pattern of referring to my class as "GUYS" - "alright guys, let's pick up the pace", "nice work, guys", etc.

Ugh - just reading it annoys me. :eek:

Any suggestions, um, guys? lol :rolleyes:

Hockeygirl77
02-27-2006, 03:26 PM
I've done the same thing.. someimtes, when I catch myself saying something like "Let's go guys", or "Good Job, Guys", I'll follow it up with "AND ladies..."
But I really dont' have a great answer for you!

Pink
02-27-2006, 03:34 PM
i don't use anything -- guys, ladies & gentlemen, nothing. I tend to pretend I am addressing them individually so I'd say, "Can YOU add any more resistance?" "Let's really attack this climb." "I know YOU are feeling the burn, breath through it." "OK, let's pick up the pace." Yadda Yadda

keifer
02-27-2006, 03:54 PM
i don't use anything -- guys, ladies & gentlemen, nothing. I tend to pretend I am addressing them individually so I'd say, "Can YOU add any more resistance?" "Let's really attack this climb." "I know YOU are feeling the burn, breath through it." "OK, let's pick up the pace." Yadda Yadda

I'm in Pink's camp ... now ... yep I think the vast majority of us Instructors have used 'guys' or 'folks' or 'people' ... but I now use 'you' ... they know I'm addressing the class in general ... but 'you' makes it feel like I'm coaching them directly.

rick316
02-27-2006, 05:03 PM
I lean very heavily towards 'guys' too,but I also use their names.I use 'team' when they're creating what I can only call a special moment.The type that when it's over,you know something extra special has just been experienced.

zoepup
02-27-2006, 09:05 PM
I only use 'us', 'we', 'you', 'together'

Like all habits, it is hard to break

raptor
02-28-2006, 02:06 AM
Try leading a mixed class through a ride accompanied by a video of a Tour de France ride, where all the participants are male. That's a gender-confused pronoun fest waiting to happen.

I've thrown in a few "people's" but I don't know if that's better than "guys". The generic "rider" works okay.

Lynn

spinmomma
02-28-2006, 08:03 AM
I am a "You and we" coach. I have to say I am not a big fan of "People", I feel it is not real personal, but that is my opinion.

alexkaboom
02-28-2006, 09:23 AM
I used "guys" this morning in a room with 13 women!

I use it sparingly though because I feel the same way... so I have used:

"Good morning Ladies & Jellyspoons" (this is when I have all women) lol...
C'mon everybody don't give up just yet!
Great work everybody, give yourselves a hand
C'mon kids ride like you just took the training wheels off!
Can you keep the same pace for one more minute!?
Team, finish line coming up!

Alex

HikeABikeHappy
02-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I often use "gang" or "group". To me those terms are synonymous with "team." "Gang" sounds better than it looks now when I'm typing it.

Good job, gang!
The group looks strong!
Ok gang, let's do it!

But generally I just stick with the collective "you."
I want you to dig in.
You're speeding up for a sprint in five (seconds).

And I stay away from "kids." For some reason it grates on my nerves when I hear it, so I'm certainly not ever going to say it.

kszspin
02-28-2006, 12:32 PM
When cuing "things" I make an effort to start with verbs, like saying "find", "notice", "feel", "reach", "move", "take", "soften", "quiet", etc then in that sentence the pronoun I will most always use is "you". Almost as if I am coaching just one person. So something like this..."Take this next change in resistance change only if you can maintain the same heart rate."

But when things are laid back and relaxed in conversation before the warm up or during cooldown I seem to be falling into a "y'all" thing here :eek: I've only been in Alabama for about 6-7 mos and I've already adopted the slang.

NJSpiner
02-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Here in southern NJ and eastern PA people tend to use "yous guys" when addressing any group more than one: male or female.. that just hurts my ears! Especially when I am greeted like that at a restuarant. :(

I tend to use You and or Gang when I teach. Or I pick out a member, instruct them and then have the class follow thier lead. Kszspin using those verbs is the teacher in us :) I often start with those action words too.

zoepup
02-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Here in southern NJ and eastern PA people tend to use "yous guys" when addressing any group more than one: male or female.. that just hurts my ears! Especially when I am greeted like that at a restuarant. :(

I tend to use You and or Gang when I teach. Or I pick out a member, instruct them and then have the class follow thier lead. Kszspin using those verbs is the teacher in us :) I often start with those action words too.

"you guys" :D

Makes me think of that old store called "Two Guys"

:eek:

marnster
02-28-2006, 10:11 PM
I really appreciate the feedback!

Team, gang, everyone and just plain, ol' "you", sound soooo much better than "guys" ~ in fact, I even like y'all ;) although it would sound so out of place up here in Michigan!

So, thanks, y'all! :D ~Marnie

Pink
02-28-2006, 11:43 PM
NJspiner, I'm a Philly gal but I too cringe at 'yous'...or the even lazier 'yiz'. Unfortunately, I've a horrendous inter-city accent but I manage to stay away from that one.

SpinManiac
03-01-2006, 07:54 AM
I probably tend to overuse "guys". "Team" is a pretty good one- I'm going to try to remember to use that too. I never say "gang"- and "kids"? No way.:)

NJSpiner
03-10-2006, 06:15 AM
Just found this test this morning in my old email box. :o

Where are yous guys from?
Fascinating. Take the test and see where you are from.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html

rick316
03-10-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm confused,it said I'm 45% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom. What does this mean about me? (No not you Keith!!!):confused:

kszspin
03-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Rick, I'm 40 % dixie so the test says but I was born in Florida! Guess being shipped around in the military for almost 20 yrs negates all my southern charm and such! SHAZAAM it's gone :eek: !

rick316
03-10-2006, 06:27 PM
But I'm still confused.What does "Dixie" mean? Is that southern charm?

One Cent
03-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Yes Rick - you are full of charm! :D

I am 57% Dixie - which means my husband feels he is converting me (we live below the Maso-Dixon) and my siblings feeling I am betraying the fine stae of Pennsylvania. :eek:

han-grrl
03-17-2006, 06:33 PM
sometimes i refer to the group as friends:

"hello friends! welcome back, are there any questions before we start? "