PDA

View Full Version : The Bizarre

Pink
02-16-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm sure we all have a few totally off-the-wall stories to share. Here's 2 of mine:

1. In the middle of a class a rider took off her t-shirt. She was not wearing an exercise bra. She had on a regular lacey cross-your-heart. She didn't seem the least bit bothered, however, some of the gentlemen in class were a tad distracted.

2. I was riding as a rider with a real whacko instructor, aka "WI" (honestly, she's certifiable). A new rider came into class, sat next to me & didn't have water. "WI" told her not to worry about water, she'd give her water. I didn't think anything more about it. So we begin the ride, I'm riding in the zone, pretty oblivious of my surroundings when WI comes up to the new rider and starts saying "baby bird, baby bird." I'm curious, open my eyes and can't believe what I see. WI is motioning for the new rider to throw her head back and open her mouth (like a baby bird). WI proceeded to squirt water into the woman's mouth from her own water bottle that she had been drinking from the entire class!!! When WI saw my horrified look she said "Don't worry, I don't backwash." Ewwwww, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT???

Honestly, you couldn't make this stuff up. You got any?

spinchick
02-16-2006, 09:17 PM
LOL!!!!!!!! Oh my God! I am totally cracked up over the baby bird story. I almost don't believe it. Nothing similar to your stories has ever happened in my classes. I must be in a boring gym. The strangest thing I've ever seen was an obese man came to my class in blue jeans one night. I thought he was just reserving his bike and was going to go change but nope he did the class in his jeans. I didn't say anything for fear that maybe he couldn't find workout clothes to fit or something weird like that.
:eek:

Pink
02-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Wow, can't you imagine how uncomfortable he must have been???

Honestly, this whack-a-doo instructor is for real. Once she did an entire class to one of Bill Cosby's comedy LP's. Once she got off the bike and started doing a waltz. She's no longer teaching and I see her often around the 'hood. I really like her as a person but she is a little...ummm, 'off.'

monkeyhouse
02-16-2006, 09:45 PM
A few years ago, we had some rather interesting personality types in the class. One was an older lady who was rather set in her ways. We got a new member who was young, arrogant, and absolutely would not listen to you unless you physically got in his way and made him do something.

They got along soooo well. :rolleyes:

Anyway, NewGuy decides one day that the fans in the class are too much for him (the ventilation in our spin room is awful, so the fans are going full-blast), so he gets off his bike and turns them off. OlderLady complains (as do the rest of us) and he just shrugs and says, "I'm cold." A few of us tell him to work harder. He ignores us. :mad:

OlderLady gets off her bike now and turns the fans back on. NewGuy gets off his bike and turns them off. Instructor has to eventually tell them to sit their butts down and knock it off. We eventually pointed NewGuy to one of the bikes in a "dead spot" (air-wise) and we went on with the class.

Once you got through to him, he wasn't all bad, but sheesh...

If you got through that, I have one other (from after I started teaching the class):

I assume you all have folks who are a bit... posessive of "their" bikes. OlderLady was one of these folks. Some poor OtherNewGuy got into class before she did and took "her" bike (my rule is, first-come, first-served -- no reserved bikes). She walked in the door and parked herself in front of him (staring at him) until he felt guilty enough to take another bike (even with me telling her to take the one right next to her)!

Heh. I think I'm going to like this thread... :D

Pink
02-16-2006, 10:03 PM
MonkeyHouse, your fan story reminds me of another. I once road in a club that didn't have a dedicated spin room. The bikes were just at the end of the aerobics studio. The electrical sockets were on one end of the room. So that's where the fans were. Well, people would rush to bikes. If you liked air, you wanted the fan side, if not, the other side. Well, there was one rider who hated fans but refused to ride on the fan-less side. Every darn class she created a commotion. Jeez, MOVE OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE. For some reason, she refused. Who can figure out some people?

JFK
02-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Some folks here may have witnessed this one (at WSSC Miami 2004). A woman in the session (it was High Intensity Training) was wearing a very low cut top in the lecture portion, but heck, it's Miami. As the 75+ riders are getting ready to ride, I'm walking around the room, getting things settled. A woman I know, seated towards the back, motions me over and says "I think I could sell tickets to my bike." I don't get what she means at first, but then I look up and see that the woman who had been wearing the low cut top is now wearing a gold lame bikini (okay, some of us debated whether it was gold lame or just a dull color, but I digress). She proceeds to demonstrate every CI you can think of, including getting off the bike in the middle of the (high intensity) ride and doing some ballistic stretching on the floor. She was attractive, but I still think whe was showing more of herself than most riders wanted to see.

She was apparently front and center at Johnny's ride. In the same outfit. (I believe this is when someone commented that she now brings Clorox wipes to rides...) Danielle Foster also had this woman in her class.

Pink
02-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Dang, I never sign up for the right lectures/rides.

Only kidding, I've taken many of your lectures, Jennifer, but I've obviously missed one of the most 'interesting.'

Note to self: Clorox wipes.

Cheeze
02-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Jennifer thanks for the trip down memory lane. It seems like there is always one individual who stands out during WSSC. Since I'm a guy I remember the GL Gal. I also remember (I believe it was either the second CA or second FL WSSC) the gal with the very short shorts and Spin Man stickers on her butt cheeks. Gotta love "the show stoppers". Who will emerge from the masses this June?

Cheeze

britspin
02-17-2006, 03:14 AM
I reckon it will be Rick.

veespin
02-17-2006, 08:27 AM
When there's any discussion on the strangeness of human behaviour, you can be sure you'll need to settle for a good long read. My contribution to this thread is a couple of very recent incidents.

In my Wed. am class this week I spotted a new face and approached the member to introduce myself and see if she was a real newbie or just new to my class. She'd taken a few classes before but was unsure about set up. We went back-to-basics.....deciding saddle height, fore-and-aft positioning etc. and during the course of this exchange I noticed that the binding on one toe cage was so badly frayed it didn't fasten securely so I suggested the member hop off and use the next bike (I always "suggest" initially......the "telling" comes if I get too much resistance) Now, you'd have thought there'd be no argument and no explanation necessary with such an obvious (to me) safety issue but member insisted it was OK. After a few exchanges of this nature I had to get a bit stroppy and insist that, with such an obvious compromise to safety, if she wished to ride in my class, she'd need to choose another bike. "But I always(?)ride this bike" she wailed.....still not moving. "OK", sez I, unthreading the binding and putting it in my pocket, "try riding that bad boy now!"

Last Sunday, at the end of a class that I was taking, not teaching, we came to the stretches and I saw a perfect example of why contraindicated moves are contraindicated. There were a couple of really Big Boys riding next to each other.....muscleheads from the weight room with a generous padding (if you get my drift)....came to the hamstring stretch and the guy in front of me hikes his foot up on the handlebars (just as teacher's saying......NOT on the saddle or handlebars, naturally) and he starts to topple, bike and all. His buddy next to him broke his fall and uprighted him but, when it came to the stretch for the other hammies, guess where to foot went.......right on the handlebars!! Another contender for the Darwin Award, no doubt!

Thing is, you can bet anyone who works with the public in any way shape or form has similar tales to tell.....I can attest that a bunch of dentists sitting together can come up with some doozies. You really have to shake your head at the oddness of it all

Vivienne

rick316
02-17-2006, 08:53 AM
I reckon it will be Rick.

??? Well,I could give it a go,I guess....:D

alexkaboom
02-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Lol... I'll be nearby with a camera... we'll need proof....

Alex

JFK
02-18-2006, 10:54 PM
As much as I look forward to what Rick might come up with, it's never quite the same when planned. (sorry Rick, but please, give it your best shot anyway ;) ) The thing that makes the strange folks stick out, IMO, is that they either really don't get it, or just don't give a fig. Either way, it's fascinating...

britspin
02-19-2006, 04:55 AM
See what I got you into now Rick? Just one random e mail, and the snowball is gathering pace mwwwahhahaha.
Might I just add on a serious note, that in reply to JFK, I cannot speak for bikini girl (altho...nope this is a serious note) Rick most cetainly does get it, & I was only kidding.

rick316
02-19-2006, 09:08 AM
A compliment? I drop to my knees in appreciation,sir.:D

Patrick
02-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Pedal-oners,

It's likely that I haven't been teaching long enough to amass such good stories, but I have one that just totally dumbfounded me.

Okay--- new student to Spinning. She looked... foreign, shall we say. Well, I get her set up, go over all the basics, help her find her flat road, etc. Well, class begins, and she just sits there on the bike. I was about to get off my bike and go investigate, but then she began to.... pedal, if you can call it that. I've never seen anyone go quite that slowly. Well, after about one revolution, she stops. For about 10 minutes.

I couldn't help but find it funny. I knew that her resistance wasn't up too high. I knew that there is no human being alive who can't figure out how to pedal a bike. I payed her a lot of my attention, and was able to count her revolutions throughout the entire class (that's right- she stayed the full hour)- 12 revolutions. TWELVE!!! Not even exaggerating. And she left class at the end without partaking in the stretches (not that she necessarily needed them :rolleyes:) and without a word. She's never been back since, and I've never seen her at the gym again.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Another one. Another newbie. So I go over all the gorey details for beginners, and help her to find her flat road, and lead her through a couple different resistance levels, just so she knew how they felt. Anyway.

Class begins, and we start to warm up, and are moving through some different positions after a few minutes. Well, I can't help but notice that she keeps turning the knob the wrong way, and almost killed herself upon leaving the saddle b/c of lack of resistance. Well, I didn't want to holler out in class that she was turning the wrong way, so I went up to her and showed her to turn the knob the other way. She seemed to comprehend her mistake, so I returned to my bike.

Class continues, and she starts it again. I had started to say "to the right, to the left," just so she would get it, but no. Still no crossing of the synapses in this one. So about four different occasions I got off the bike to show her the right way. Each time she giggled about it...

Well, about 20 minutes into class, we transitioned into a big hill from a flat road, and I told them to increase the resistance by a lot... well, what does our scholarly laddy do but turn the wrong way. She knew I was watching her, and then looked at me and I shook my head, "no". She just rolled her eyes and released more resistance. I was so tired of this that I finally said, "You're are, honest to God, the first person to ever perpetually turn the knob the wrong way." She (and everyone else) laughed, but from there on out she turned the right way! Surprise, surprise!

What an imbusil.

Patrick

rick316
02-19-2006, 09:09 AM
See what I'm doing,Keith?More posts.I wonder if I can get upto 300 by wssc:confused:

rick316
02-19-2006, 09:10 AM
That's 300 posts not 300lbs

Patrick
02-19-2006, 09:19 AM
While we speak of post numbers, let's go ahead and make
it happen- my
*****:D100th post.:D*****
-Patrick

Pink
02-19-2006, 09:51 AM
OMG, Patrick, your slow-pedaler had me rolling on the floor!

This is not a spinning story but a generic gym story and it happened just yesterday...

I was lifting weights and look over to see a woman on the treadmill. She was walking, not jogging. I guess it was too hard to run with any speed wearing her full length mink coat!!! I'll bet the thing cost more than my car.

People are fascinating, aren't they?

britspin
02-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Well fancy, posting short and

britspin
02-19-2006, 11:23 AM
spurious posts simply to

britspin
02-19-2006, 11:24 AM
increase you post count.

Patrick
02-19-2006, 04:50 PM
As every online forum comes of age, Pedal-on too must be introduced to the at-least-fairly-vulgar distinction of the proverbial "post whore". Let us not covet a high post count, yes?

Buffalo Bill coveted in Silence of the Lambs, and we all see where he ended up... (Sorry- SOTL is on right now :D Great film.)

Wondering if the lambs will ever stop screaming,

Patrick

kszspin
02-19-2006, 05:37 PM
So this is what I apparently have missed out on for two days while doing my little home improvement project (I have paint in more places than I knew possible:eek: ).

Unfortunately for me the only foolish story I have to share is one that I am the center of idiocy!
About three years ago at another gym in another state (thankfully I no longer reside there :p ), I was demonstrating to a guy in class (in front of a few others also) how to put on the transmitter of my heart rate monitor (can you just see where this is going). As I lifted up my fitness top (no bra underneath either, just one of those attached liners) I felt a slight breeze and watched the man's eyes grow a bit larger ;) .
You'd think this would alert me to a problem, but nooooo I just kept lifting even higher to really make sure he saw how to properly wear the transmitter! My good friend standing next to him had to scream at me after about 20, 30 really long seconds before I caught on.
Worst thing is, all that extra effort :mad: for the guy and he doesn't even come back again! How dare him! How is a gal suppose to feel after that:rolleyes:

idiocy: 1: extreme mental deficiency commonly due to incomplete or abnormal development of the brain. 2: something notably stupid or foolish.

For those of you going to Miami and now worried, I promise I will put the transmitter on before leaving my hotel room.:)

rick316
02-19-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm really looking forward to Miami more this year than last.;) The whole time there will be one massive learning curve.The amount of information being served up on a platter is almost too much.I almost fear the first class back,which for me happens to be the Monday night.I may be 'The Bizarre One' on that night!:eek:

spinchick
02-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Can someone shed some light on the Miami thing? I want to go (it will be my first time) but am I going to learn? I don't like to waste my time especially if I could be partying somewhere else in Miami. So, what exactly are we going to do, see, learn, etc...? I have looked over the schedule which is impressive but I don't want to see someone in their gold lame swimsuit on a spin bike or someone else's behind with tattoos or smiley faces on it. For those that have been, please tell me it will be worth the while to go.
Thank you
I

spinchick
02-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Kszspin
Where did you use to live? It will rob my sleep which is already deficient if you don't tell. Share with us. We all support you here.
:p :p

monkeyhouse
02-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Pink,
Your mink coat story had me cracking up. I knew some people only seemed to go to the gym to show off, but come ON!

Your story reminded me of two other generic gym oddities:

1) Using the elliptical machine in the early A.M., the (chatty!) woman next to me is extolling the virtues of the "Best thing ever!" - workout makeup. Apparently, this stuff stays caked on your face even if you (dare to) sweat. All I could think was, "ew."

2) Using the nautilus circuit at night with a friend, two girls were also going around the circuit, but a bit differently... one would get on a machine, pose (and smiiiiiile!), and her friend would take a picture. Then they'd switch and take the other's picture. They kept this up through the whole circuit. They didn't actually use the machines or anything. I asked the girl at the desk if this was for promotional material and she just shook her head and said she had no idea what they were doing. :confused:

All these folks make life interesting, though, don't they? :D

Pink
02-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Kelly, hysterical!!

Monkeyhouse, could one of the circuit gals be Patrick's slow pedaler?

I teach at a privately-owned gym. We are like a family. I love it but it's quite a distance from my house. So 2 weeks ago I joined an L.A. Fitness. They are big, splashy, corporate boxes -- void of warmth and quite different from 'my' gym. But it is close to home and easy to zip in and out. Plus, the equipment is top of the line, new and swanky.

However, the clientele is so different from what I'm used to, they have fascinated me to no end. I swear everyone works out while talking on their cell phones. The ladies are made up to the 9's (must be wearing that sweat-proof war paint). I've seen more boob jobs in two weeks than I have in my entire life. And lip jobs. And eye jobs. Maybe they have a plastic surgeon on-staff.

And the cars in the lot! You'd think it was a Hummer Dealership! Ay yi yi.

Give me a few more visits, I'm sure I'll have plenty to add to this thread.

Pink
02-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Spinchick,

I don't think you will be disappointed in the WSSC. This will be my third and I've yet to see the lady in lame. As is to be expected, you will enjoy certain lectures/rides more than others. And as mentioned in other threads, part of the education comes from chatting with fellow instructors. It's fun to be surrounded by others who share the same passion. There's nothing like the excitement of 200 riders all jazzed up, waiting for Josh Taylor to start his music!

kszspin
02-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Spinchick-- It's totally worth it! And you probably will only see a thong adorned by a guy hanging out at the pool :p . It is an "international" conference in Miami ya know ;) .

britspin
02-21-2006, 04:42 AM
Thong...hanging out at the pool....can only bring one picture to mind...thanks for that, it will take the whole day & maybe therapy.

rick316
02-21-2006, 04:46 AM
But you said you were curios what I would think of to make a lasting impression.....:D

britspin
02-21-2006, 05:24 AM
And now I can put a face to the picture...gee thanks.

megale3
02-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Be Careful what bike you are riding :D

alexkaboom
02-21-2006, 10:57 AM
I'll bring some clorox wipes... :D

JFK
02-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Keep in mind, Spinchick, the gal in the gold lame stood out because there weren't a lot of others like her. Most of the folks at WSSC are very sincere in their desire to learn more and to share with their fellow instructors. But as anyone who collects data knows, there are always a few outliers...;)

kszspin
02-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Kszspin
Where did you use to live? It will rob my sleep which is already deficient if you don't tell. Share with us. We all support you here.
:p :p

Spinchick...to also quote Johnny Cash "I've been everywhere man..."
I'll go in reverse: before here (Alabama) it was Alaska, New Mexico, Virginia, Nevada, Maine, New York/New Jersey, Florida!

You'll have to just guess what state the "idiocy" occured. :rolleyes: A girl has to keep some secrets ;) .

fitfan
02-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Okay, I almost spit out my coffee all over the keyboard here at work I'm laughing so hard at these stories. I must live in a boring area as I have not had too many of these imbeciles.

I did have one guy once in a class I was subbing decide he wanted to leave before class ended so he went to stretch and with his feet still in the toe cages, stood up and proceeded to bring his entire body over the seat onto the floor behind the bike and stretch that way. He still had his feet in the cages as I mentioned as was holding onto the handlebars. Needless to say, I had been scanning the room when he first did this and noticed it as he had already parked his butt on the floor. I was so shocked at this move that it didn't immediately register and by the time it did and I got off the bike he was gone. Talk about CI.

EuroD
02-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Gosh, you guys are just cracking me up! Patrick I think she had the hots for you and wanted you to come over ;)

I guess my story will have to be about the book reader.
In one of my early morning classes this lady walks in, sets up her bike and keeps reading her book. That's fine as we had about 5 minutes before class started so people were doing whatever they needed to do. Class starts on time - she's still reading the book - I do my usual schpiel of what the ride is, yada, yada - still reading the book - warm up is done, and we're into our first drill - still reading the book. My participants are looking at me as if to say - what the $%^&!! THEN, she looks up from the book and asks me what cadence and resistance she should be riding AND goes back to reading the book! Now I have steam coming out my ears and have bitten off my tongue for fear of using expletives - take off the mic, and politely ask her to leave the class as she may be more comfortable on a bike on the gym floor - "Oh no, I'm fine" Not in my class sweetheart - beat it! Didn't use those exact words but that's the gist.

Never came back!

kszspin
02-24-2006, 04:40 PM
:eek: :eek: and she probably drives reading too!
Did you direct her to those lifecycles with the book holder thingy on it? :D

Pink
02-24-2006, 09:46 PM
EuroD, there's bizarre and then there's downright rude. I take it she never came back.

BrusselsSpin
03-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Why didn't I see this thread before. I'm now crying over the keyboard - some of those stories are so good you couldn't make them up. And, yes, I remember bikini woman too!

Pink
05-06-2006, 06:50 PM
I had to recall this thread. I saw Mink Coat Woman at the gym today. OMG, she is soooo nuts. No mink today (it's 80 degrees) but she was on the treadmill wearing these outrageous bell-bottom pants. They were stretchy from the waist to the knees. Then at the knees they belled out with tulle! Billows of tulle!! I don't know how she could even walk without getting all wrapped around herself. She looked like an escapee from the bad 60's dance show.

And in case some of the guys don't know what tulle is, think the net stuff on wedding gowns.

Brandy
05-06-2006, 07:26 PM
You MUST bring a camera to the gym Pink. I would have died to see that!

gigi
05-06-2006, 07:33 PM
this is a great thread.

on the topics of fans... i have this one woman, who really needs to be "cool". she sits next to the window, in front of the industrial-sized floor fan, next to an outlet- because get this...she brings in a portable mini clip on fan for her handlebars. yup, she comes in early to claim her bike next to all the ventilation and an outlet for extra wind just in case. oh man, it's too much to deal with, sometimes i have to hold back the giggles at the sight of this.

Pink
05-06-2006, 08:11 PM
You MUST bring a camera to the gym Pink. I would have died to see that!

Honestly, I was trying to think of a way I could use my cell phone to get a picture. But they aren't the greatest cameras.http://www.pedal-on.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

This is only the 2nd time I've seen her...but maybe she comes in disguise other times (i.e. like a normal person) and I don't notice her.

Gigi, lol, fan lady.

kszspin
05-06-2006, 08:34 PM
this is a great thread.

on the topics of fans... i have this one woman, who really needs to be "cool". she sits next to the window, in front of the industrial-sized floor fan, next to an outlet- because get this...she brings in a portable mini clip on fan for her handlebars. yup, she comes in early to claim her bike next to all the ventilation and an outlet for extra wind just in case. oh man, it's too much to deal with, sometimes i have to hold back the giggles at the sight of this.

Gina, perhaps she is dealing with a menopause symptom? I know it probably looks ridiculous to you at times, but some weeks I am feeling like I can NEVER get cool enough, I'd probably go to those extremes to deal with it too :eek: .

Patrick
05-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Gina, perhaps she is dealing with a menopause symptom? I know it probably looks ridiculous to you at times, but some weeks I am feeling like I can NEVER get cool enough, I'd probably go to those extremes to deal with it too :eek: .

Yet another reason I'm glad I'm not a woman.

Pink
05-06-2006, 09:16 PM

I hear ya, sista...

kszspin
05-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Yet another reason I'm glad I'm not a woman.

Yea....waaa waaaa waaaa :(
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger! So there :p .

gigi
05-06-2006, 09:19 PM

she's mentioned to me that she doesn't like to sweat :eek: ...and she's in her late 30's, maybe early 40's...

but definately good point, i never thought of that (because of her age)

kszspin
05-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Well, I'm only 43 (yes, Patrick I'm only 43) and yet for about 1-2 yrs now I have off and on "issues" with thermoregulation (I get hot :eek: ). It's wierd because I have always been the cold one in a room, but not lately. So...my doc said I may be beginning to enter this fantastic phase of my life (what a load of ....insert ugly word here!). I'm not going to argue with her (the doc) so I guess I'll just have to accept the fact and dress accordingly (I wear layers, so I can remove something as it gets worse).

Not sure how I'm gonna handle my first full Alabama summer :eek: .

Pink
09-22-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey, I thought I'd pull this up again, since we've so many newbies with possible stories to add...drunk instructors and all.

I'm off to see my hand surgeon and may need a laugh when I get back...

Got any?

kszspin
09-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Second one.. there was a very heavy lady on the bike. She's pedaling along, then the instructor cues to do a seated sprint. Her feet start flying around, she has little to no resistance, but she's spinning like a demon. Then her bike starts to move to wear it's almost perpendicular to the other bikes. Afterwards she hops off and straightens her bike. She got a good workout man!!

Cool...maybe she can then answer the question...."How far do you go in a Spinning class?" :D

Pink
09-22-2006, 06:37 PM
I have some good ones..mostly where I have been one of the participants.

I got on a bike and started pedaling it, it was no good so I moved over to the next one. Then a 'new' person comes in and hops on the bike, I say 'the pedals aren't working well you might want to try another, she replys 'I use this bike all the time' OK 'nuff said. Then right after the warm up I see some people to my right looking over to the gal on my left (in the mirror) The gal's feet had slipped out of the 'cages' and she was sitting on the frame of the bike with her feet still underneath her. She had gotten wedged into the bike frame the seat is poking her in the head and she can't move. I try to help but she manages to get free. Needless to say she left and I've never seen her again. (hope you can get a visual) I've never seen anything like it.

Second one.. there was a very heavy lady on the bike. She's pedaling along, then the instructor cues to do a seated sprint. Her feet start flying around, she has little to no resistance, but she's spinning like a demon. Then her bike starts to move to wear it's almost perpendicular to the other bikes. Afterwards she hops off and straightens her bike. She got a good workout man!!

Hysterical!

bodyimaje
09-28-2006, 11:14 AM
I had something else happen today when I was teaching. It was my 9 am class, I was playing some trance/techno music. I've played it before and got applause, but today they had a different reaction. 3 women start doing this thing where they're looking at each other and rolling eyes..and so on. Finally during an intense part of the ride one of them gets off the bike and asks me if I can change the music. I say 'sure' give me 5 minutes. A few minutes later she yells from her bike 'could you change it NOW?' I say I'll change it when we start to recover. Oh and one of the other women agressively gets off her bike reaches into her bag and sticks her ipod on.

I don't know how funny all this is, but it was certainly bizarre to me.

I should point out, this is why it's important to mix up your music. I learned not to play techno the whole ride. I think they could have tolerated a little but not 40 min. And I was planning on changing the CD anyway, so I didn't see a big deal in doing it when she asked.

OH my god, the minute she put her IPOD on I would have cranked those techno/trance beats so high. (just joking, i'm not that mean)

Pink
12-09-2006, 11:17 AM
OK, couldn't wait to get home and post this....

Saw "Mink Lady" again today. No mink, no tulle pants. Today she had on normal workout clothes, running on the treadmill in her tall Ugg boots and ear muffs!

What is wrong with this woman?????

Moot
08-11-2010, 10:44 PM
LOL, this thread is hilarious :)

Oh My God, if someone puts his/her ipod on in my class, i would super quickly get off my bike and ask them to hand it over and say thank you for the nice gift, that is so nice of you :)

That reading book lady is hilarious.

Moot

Carole
08-12-2010, 07:30 AM
I have enjoyed reading this thread. Most of my amusing stories come from my Pilates class or the weight room area. We had a rush of people that seemed to leave their head at home and a few other things! One business man rushes in to get a quick work out, changes clothes comes into the weight room but did not realize he forgot to put on his shorts! We had to quickly remind him he needed more than boxers on his lower half!
In my Pilates class, I have to remind both girls and guys, if they "go commando" please make sure to wear compression pants!:eek: You would be surprised, how often that speech is repeated!!
I teach a Pilates class for men only. " The room was full with regulars but with only one new guy. That day, I forgot to remind them, "It's not a successful class until someone passes gas." The class was going well until we started our rolls. The new guy sang us a song each time he rolled up. Now, it wasn't just a note, I mean like an aria! The first time, no one reacted, the second, nothing, the third, well, boys will be boys! ;) I tried to make light of it and reminded them of my saying. Poor guy, left before class was over. I do not think he has ever been back to our facility.:(

shelleyspins
08-12-2010, 10:46 AM
OK, couldn't wait to get home and post this....

Saw "Mink Lady" again today. No mink, no tulle pants. Today she had on normal workout clothes, running on the treadmill in her tall Ugg boots and ear muffs!

What is wrong with this woman?????

Thanks, Pink, for bumping this thread. I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard! Who needs television?

If you haven't seen Mink Lady in a while she may have moved down here to Dallas. I work at for a good chain at their even better, boutique-y location so we cater to our share of Divas. Oh, and did I mention I'm in Dallas? We've got one woman who has always been nice as can be to me and I enjoy talking to her but when she does embody all the things that made me reluctant to move to Dallas. I was first met her while attending 6am spin classes (I wasn't teaching yet.) She shows up bright and early at 6am with full make-up (FULL make-up) hair done up with lotsa firm hold spraying to keep it up, perfume (LOTS of perfume) dripping with jewelry, with her shoes in a LV bag, and to keep warm until we got going she wore her mink coat (it was January.) Once we get going she NEVER sweats - botox injections, says my plastic surgeon sister-in-law. Man oh man I miss Austin...

Cyclemonkey
08-12-2010, 11:12 AM
...perfume (LOTS of perfume)...

There is absolutely nothing worse then the smell of perfume mixed with sweat.

shelleyspins
08-12-2010, 12:03 PM
There is absolutely nothing worse then the smell of perfume mixed with sweat.

A little smelly sweat would be a welcome diversion but she's got it on so thick some mornings that it is all you can smell. For days.

(well, maybe not DAYS but you get the idea)

Pink
08-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I agree, this was fun reading again...and hearing some new stories. And it's made me realize that things have been quite boring the past couple of years. I haven't seen anything even remotely bizarre for far too long. Thanks for picking up the slack and giving me laugh. :D

agy
08-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Pink, I think we need a seperate thread especially for your mink coat lady!
You can give us daily updates on what she wore each day.

Running in Ugg boots....I don't even have words to express my bewilderment!!! :confused:

Pink
08-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Pink, I think we need a seperate thread especially for your mink coat lady!
You can give us daily updates on what she wore each day.

Running in Ugg boots....I don't even have words to express my bewilderment!!! :confused:

Unfortunately, mink coat lady is in my past. I haven't seen her since I canceled my membership at LAF. We actually had an instructor who taught in Uggs. She forgot her cycling shoes.

HMBgal
08-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Some funny, funny stories. Mine is about Stoned Toe Shoes. Yep. She would REEK, I mean a contact buzz for everybody in the front row. And she wore ballet toe shoes and a pink leotard to every class. Then she would slam down into the splits during the warm up and start...uh...making odd movements on the floor. She would do step in her toe shoes and fall. And she was certified to teach group fitness classes and felt that we were discriminating against her for not hiring her. Yeah, she was, and is, a hot mess. She tried to wear her flip-flops on the bike (hey, at least she wasn't wearing her toe shoes) but she just can't seem to get it through her head that she can't wear the damn toe shoes OR the flip flops to class so she's avoiding the club, thank heavens. And she is the sweetest, funniest person ever. A little (a lot) eccentric, though.

agy
08-13-2010, 01:02 AM
I just can't get my head around all this. What is wrong with people?? :confused:

In my gym we seem to have a fair few changing room exhibitionists! All of them are of course old ladies. One of the worst ones never brings flip flops but instead the shuffles on a towel across the changing room to her favourite sink as if she was skiing (thanks for cleaning the floor by the way!). This sink is very close to the door so if anyone opens it, she is in full view. Needless to say, she doesn't cover up! Ever! If anyone gets to that sink before her, she will stand there and wait until it's free. She won't use another sink. Then she grabs a load of paper towels and places them strategically around the sink and then places her make up bag etc on top of that. Ah and she comes in every day as soon as we open the club, swims for about 4 lengths (NOT KIDDING) and then proceeds with her changing room rituals.

We have quite a few dodgy ones like that. Some of them do things so bad, I can't even write about them on here!

Pink
08-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Ewww, agy! I can't imagine picking up that towel, putting it in my bag and taking it home to mingle with the rest of my laundry. Ewwww!

But that reminds me of another thing which was a regular occurrence at one of my current gyms. From our spin studio, we have clear view of the front door and the hallway leading to the locker room. Every Sunday, like clockwork, a regular spinner would enter the gym, fully clothed in street clothes, carrying a change of clothes in a dry cleaner's bag. She'd go to the locker room and presumably, shower (her hair was wet), change her clothes and leave. Every single Sunday morning. She was very private and didn't talk to anyone when she actually rode other times of the week, so no one felt comfortable asking her "WTF?"

shelleyspins
08-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Sometimes I think there's got to be a hidden camera crew following me. Yesterday shortly after reading through this thread I got an email from one of the gyms where I work:

"The mic in the spin room is on a frequency that has been banned. It is now for "emergency" and govermental (sic) purposes. (That probably is why it stopped working when the Presedent (sic) came to town.) Anyway, I have ordered a new one."

Pink
08-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Sometimes I think there's got to be a hidden camera crew following me. Yesterday shortly after reading through this thread I got an email from one of the gyms where I work:
"The mic in the spin room is on a frequency that has been banned. It is now for "emergency" and govermental (sic) purposes. (That probably is why it stopped working when the Presedent (sic) came to town.) Anyway, I have ordered a new one."

Huh????mmmmmmmmm

Paul S.
08-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks again, Moot, for reviving this thread. First about the mic frequency, there was a discussion, I'm not sure if it was here or on Turnstep, that the frequencies used my some wireless mics have been reassigned. Somehow I doubt the FCC would go after clubs that continued using them since their range is so short.

Now my bizarre story: I teach regularly at one club of a national chain and sub occasionally at 3 others. They're all laid out pretty much the same way, except two of them are mirror image of the other two. Because of this, I'm always afraid that when leaving the pool area I'll enter the women's locker room by mistake. That's never happened, but once when entering the men's shower area from the locker area I saw an older woman in there! Fortunately there was nobody else there. She had her back to me and headed out to the pool area before I could say anything. It could have been a pretty embarrassing situation.