PDA

View Full Version : Any Swimmers ?

CancunCArol
04-21-2004, 10:37 AM
I am training for a long distance swim in the Ocean 9K anybody done anything similar? and if so any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Caroline

natty157
09-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Sorry, I am not a swimmer

princessarmstrong
10-02-2005, 10:44 AM
What kind of swimming background do you have? What kind of distance are you doing for training? Where are you training? Have you done any ocean swimming?

megale3
10-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey where have you been? are you lurkin??? Anybody else miss this great coach and friend??? Calling out Carol here :D
Megale

britspin
10-04-2005, 06:13 AM
Is my initial response, but since it is a huge challenge, and all in a good cause, go for it.
I would advise maybe finding yourself a triathlete club, that will have some of those unbalanced beings who think Ironman is a good idea & fun to do.
They will do ocean swims, they will do ocean swims of distance...maybe not that far but you never know. Tell them what you are up to & why & my guess is you will have a good few training buddies quite quickly, next stop Honolulu...or not.
Good luck anyway.
Keep paddling.
Britspin.

britspin
10-04-2005, 06:17 AM
Oh I forgot...Trifuel has a great forum, similar to this..only not as good of course, worth checking out for clubs, training partners if you join & post.
Cheers.
Britspin.

PT biker
10-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Hi - I'm training for my first triathlon in the Spring. You HAVE to go to totalimmersion.net it is the best thing since sliced bread. I bought the book and swimming drill cards. I probably would have got the DVD too, but didn't at the time. He has a great way to teach you to swim. It's different that the typical "just muscle though it" attitude I was taught. In my opinion it is a must have if you are doing any long distance swimming. On a side note, check out Chi Running for similar info on running. Both of these rely on your core instead of your smaller arm/leg muscles to do the work. These two concepts will totally BLOW your mind.

P.S. I'm not related to either one of these guys, I haven't even met them, but I can't say enough good stuff about it.

I'm going swimming tonight and can't wait!