PDA

View Full Version : New to Pedal-On

monkeyhouse
02-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi folks,

I'm not usually a big poster on forums like this, but you all seem so nice and friendly, I couldn't help myself. :)

I started spinning when we started a program at work 5 years ago (and for a facility that doesn't have any other gym or exercise equipment to speak of, this was a pretty cool thing), and I slowly got roped into teaching it as our instructors left for greener pastures.

I'm not formally trained (BOO... I know... but I am going to be signing up), but I've been doing my best to keep up with what's current (CI moves, etc.) and try my best to make sure my class (A) stays hydrated, (B) stays in form, and (C) has a GOOD TIME! :)

What's worked out best for our class has been the more "aerobic-y" type of workout, and less of a road experience, since our crew tends to be more varied (getting the folks at work, you get people at all fitness levels, from those who do bike or work out regularly, to those who only do these classes), and this type of format tends to appeal to the wider crowd here.

I've gotten some great ideas from this forum (thanks!) that I plan to incorporate into my routine at some point, and some of the music ideas in that thread are going to bankrupt me at iTunes, I think. :)

Well, that's it -- just wanted to say hi and thanks, even though you folks didn't know you were helping me out. :)

britspin
02-14-2006, 03:52 AM
Welcome to the Monkeyhouse. I am so sorry, but I could not resist.
Enjoy the ride.

NJSpiner
02-14-2006, 05:12 AM
What's worked out best for our class has been the more "aerobic-y" type of workout, and less of a road experience, since our crew tends to be more varied (getting the folks at work, you get people at all fitness levels, from those who do bike or work out regularly, to those who only do these classes), and this type of format tends to appeal to the wider crowd here.

Hey Monkey! Welcome. I hear you on the mixed crowds. If I get two roadies in a class I am impressed. But teaching the 6pm slot I think lends itself to the ZOO of a mix. :) Enjoy the forums.. and I think one must have to be half-thief to instruct/guide spin at times.. borrowing, lending.. its in the blood!:)

stacymunn
02-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Hi Monkeyhouse, and welcome (although I'm newer than you here;) )

Good for you for knowing your audience - what style of riding they like, fitness levels, etc. I believe that's a key factor in being a good instructor. And the more varied the audience, the more challenging it is.

- Stacy