PDA

View Full Version : Working To Hard

Elvis
02-10-2006, 02:10 PM
How do you guys & gals keep in your aerobic zone with big classes? It seems that when the class is full, 25 bikes I go way over my targeted heart rate.I feel the need to be the example. Maybe it's just me. The class seems to have a better feel to it. I have a hard time with the motivational stuff. Is it like acting when everything is a little bit more exaggerated to give it that little umph? I have a hard time not adding resistance when I am asking the class to go there. Just asking your thoughts. Luckily I only teach 4-5 classes a week with only 2 classes knocking me past my anaerobic zone. How do I settle down?

Pink
02-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Well, if someone can provide an answer to this one, I'll be interested. No matter how hard I try, my heart rate is always high while teaching. I swear just putting on the headset gets me to 65%. By the time I add talking & pedaling, ay yi yi!

However, I have dead-on control when I'm riding as a student.

kszspin
02-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Consider coaching off the bike occasionally throughout class. Especially in a large group, it's tough to make eye contact and personal coaching from up on your bike. Move through the room and it will benefit both you and them. I think our HRs run a bit higher when teaching due to a few things, first as instructors we are using extra energy to speak, secondly our adrenaline is higher and effects the hr.
When I notice my hr going much higher than normal I will lower my resistance not cadence so much (the members will notice your cadence but not the resistance). This way I am taking care of myself and not putting my ego (gotta go as hard as I'm asking them to ;) ) ahead my health. We have to remember that it's not about us or our workout.

Alaricnj
02-10-2006, 05:01 PM
It’s my experience as an instructor that since I require to speak during the class my heart rate will go higher than when I’m not talking. I’m not always on the bike; I tend to walk around a lot and monitor my student’s positions and give them guidance during the class so I typically only ride maybe 80% of the entire profile so just the act of getting off the bicycle and walking around helps me control my HR alittle better.

Mike

One Cent
02-10-2006, 11:25 PM
I also run higher when teaching. I will ride my profile the day before on occasion for a practice run and my heart rate will be right in the designated zone. Then I put myself in the driver's seat and I will rise at least by 10 beats. (Maybe like Pink - it's the headset) I have decided it is related to being relatively new as an instructor. I really enjoy my classes and when the participants to love it as much as I do.:o
I have tried to drop resistance - but the drop in heart rate is only marginal.

JFK
02-11-2006, 01:26 PM
First thought: lots more epinephrine (adrenalin) in your system when teaching, esp. as a new instructor. Also, as others have mentioned, if you are talking and riding, you are working harder.

Second thought: think about not wearing your HRM when teaching (I know, heresy!) Here's why: I personally get too wrapped up in my own HR if I have the thing on while teaching. I wear the watch to set the example, but leave off the transmitter. It reminds me that teaching is not my time to train and that I'm there for the students, not me.

Second, when I do get up to roam around the room, no one ends up "wearing" my HR and wondering why theirs just dropped 20 beats.

britspin
02-11-2006, 02:26 PM
I do believe that when I began this incredible teaching/learning journey that I could not stay in bounds with my heart rate, despite having trained with one for a good time before I began teaching. Now I can stay in zone pretty much all the time.
This must have something to do with spinning specific fitness, add in learning better breath control & breathing patterns, add in using climbs as recoveries, not HR busters. Add in selecting the zone I want to be in as distinct from the zone(s) I want my class to be in, never teaching without a headset so I do not have to raise my voice or shout, and control is mine.
The spinning breathing techninque module is excellent, especially as I only took this one as Lady Britspin was in the midst of a bad chest infection asthma episode and I thought she might find it useful...she did & does.
So persevere, use control & have fun.
Incidentally my classes hate me getting off the bike...and tell me every time I do.

kszspin
02-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Second thought: think about not wearing your HRM when teaching (I know, heresy!) Here's why: I personally get too wrapped up in my own HR if I have the thing on while teaching. I wear the watch to set the example, but leave off the transmitter. It reminds me that teaching is not my time to train and that I'm there for the students, not me.

Second, when I do get up to roam around the room, no one ends up "wearing" my HR and wondering why theirs just dropped 20 beats.

:rolleyes: I'm slapping my forehead, cause I can't believe I didn't think of that first! Thanks Jen, I was reluctant to not wear the HRM because of role modeling and all, but I never thought about just leaving the receiver on the bike! There's a another benefit too, I won't have to wash my transmitter strap as often:p .

keifer
02-14-2006, 07:09 AM
Thanks Jen I was too embarrassed to admit this out loud myself, I thought there had to be something wrong with me, but all the points you raised are probably why I'm 10bpm higher ... I'm going to leave my transmitter off for classes and use it only when take a class.

spinmomma
02-14-2006, 07:55 AM
Just throwing this out,
What about taking into considerations how you "feel" at these higher heart rates? What if you are well rested, well fueled, low humidity or the otherside, tired, humid, medications, sickness approaching. Do you use the monitor for a guage rather than an absolute? Also, are you sure when you did your MAX HR test you testing under perfect conditions. Was that Max test conducted in a clinical setting or in the spin room by a fellow instructor?
Like I said, just throwing this out
Feedback? anyone?

Webkim
02-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Could be due to nerves or less oxygen in a full class.
But please don't forget that your instruction time is NOT your training time. You don't even have to give it 80%. If you're tired your overview won't be as good. The best instructors can even motivate their class for a full hour without cycling at all.

One Cent
02-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Just throwing this out,
What about taking into considerations how you "feel" at these higher heart rates? What if you are well rested, well fueled, low humidity or the otherside, tired, humid, medications, sickness approaching. Do you use the monitor for a guage rather than an absolute? Also, are you sure when you did your MAX HR test you testing under perfect conditions. Was that Max test conducted in a clinical setting or in the spin room by a fellow instructor?
Like I said, just throwing this out
Feedback? anyone?

:rolleyes: I agree with everything you have thrown out. Especially now with cold season upon us my heart rate has become more variable with fatigue and illness. I also can not take cold medicine before instructing - it grossly elevates my heart rate. I am also very embarassed to say this in an out loud voice (or written one) but I have not had my MAX HR test completed. I still use the Karvonen Method. (I can almost hear the sighs :( )
All that said I really like Jenn's idea. I believe my heart rate would drop just leaving the strap off because I would not focus on it!