PDA

View Full Version : It's my metabolism

Vivienne
05-25-2012, 08:28 AM
First of an interesting set of links I came across...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-qKTaEMIQ (starts properly at about 1.30)

Vivienne

melboney
05-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks for sharing the link Viv. This is just as addictive as HBO and IOM documentary series "Weight of the Nation."

My thesis is looking at metabolic dysfunction in patients with hypothyroidism. Some of my subjects drank some DLW and I'm waiting on their results from Dale Schoeller's lab. Here's a handy review article from him related to your clip on the subject of "disordered metabolism in obesity." 2670

Vivienne
05-25-2012, 10:25 AM
My thesis is looking at metabolic dysfunction in patients with hypothyroidism. Some of my subjects drank some DLW and I'm waiting on their results from Dale Schoeller's lab. Here's a handy review article from him related to your clip on the subject of "disordered metabolism in obesity." 2670

Thing is with these links, though, is the prevalence of disordered thinking and outright denialism in obesity (I'm thinking particularly of #2 .....the Yorkshire bellydancer) I don't doubt that these BBC clips have been gussied up a but to make a certain point but still, as we've both found out WRT my "dieting" etc. ..... self assessment and self reporting are very poor tools to use when evaluating a person's eating habits.

Vivienne

melboney
05-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Thing is with these links, though, is the prevalence of disordered thinking and outright denialism in obesity (I'm thinking particularly of #2 .....the Yorkshire bellydancer) I don't doubt that these BBC clips have been gussied up a but to make a certain point but still, as we've both found out WRT my "dieting" etc. ..... self assessment and self reporting are very poor tools to use when evaluating a person's eating habits.

Vivienne

For sure. Both of the overweight ladies thought they were eating less and the underweight lady thought she was eating way more than she actually was. This logic fits in with Schoeller's closing argument in his review that "the component that is most variable and accounts for the variability in weight gain during overfeeding is the energy expended in physical activity."

NHANES estimates show that hypothyroidism afflicts ~12.5% of the US population. Interestingly, my subjects with hypothyroidism that are of a healthy weight accurately self-report their physical activity and dietary intake. I'm interested to see what the statistical difference between the overweight/obese subjects and underweight/normal-weight subjects.

Funhog
05-26-2012, 12:19 PM
This is awesome. Somebody sent this to me a few weeks ago. In April I was at a conference in Scottsdale and took an excellent session called Fitness Myths and Misconceptions with Dr. Jason Karp. He spent a good amount of time on this particular myth. I'm hoping to interview Dr Karp on this subject soon because this myth really needs to be gone. Just like the one that you are burning 800 calories in a 45min (or even 60 min) Spinning class - it hurts everyone because they blame the wrong thing and think they are doing more than they are. Double whammy.

melboney
05-26-2012, 01:37 PM
... like the one (myth) that you are burning 800 calories in a 45min (or even 60 min) Spinning class - it hurts everyone because they blame the wrong thing and think they are doing more than they are. Double whammy.

I don't know how to educate people that one must be an extraordinary athlete in order to burn that many calories in such a short amount of time. I spend so much time looking over diet and exercise journals of people much like the Yorkshire belly dancer. So many people assume that they exercise harder than do and eat less than they actually do that when I say "you gained 4 pounds in 2 weeks which means that you consumed an additional 1,000 kcals a day," most people look at me and say they must have a metabolic disorder.

What do we need to do to convince people that the prevalence of metabolic disorders is relatively low and that their excess weight is caused by excess caloric intake and not enough energy expenditure? How do we help people understand the First Law of Thermodynamics?

Raindrop has the right idea with her clients; she has them record their sedentary time. Viv and I are obsessed with promoting gadgets that measure physical activity energy expenditure and dietary intake. What else can we recommend the general population to help them understand the calories in vs. calories out equation?

Vivienne
05-27-2012, 03:45 PM
. Just like the one that you are burning 800 calories in a 45min (or even 60 min) Spinning class - it hurts everyone because they blame the wrong thing and think they are doing more than they are.

Worse than that, in the process of chasing the "800 Cals", relatively deconditioned members will oftentimes work so far above their capabilities to the extent that their exertions a) make them so hungry they want to eat half a cow (and they also believe they've earned it) and b) have to rest up for the remaining hours of the day to compensate.

If I did a workout that actually burned 800Cals, it wouldn't provide me with an 800Cals deficit on my Total Daily Energy Expenditure because there's a real good chance I'd need a nap later on in the day instead of doing chores, garden, dog walking etc.......and the half a cow I'd need to eat.

Vivienne

Vivienne
05-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Here are a few links to the whole BBC series (apologies if everyone has already seen them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSm1dWjMGeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=aSOCZZh1CC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=YB3D5YM84FM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=sIJP20qvJMw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=ibE8oDYidMY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=xS8nt0qoRuc

I've looked for a US source for a DVD of the series but, just like Dara O' Briain, I could only find stuff for the UK market.

It's worthwhile for anyone with any remote interest to plough through these links as these myths about metabolsim aren't just a feature of the popular press.....the fitness industry is at least as guilty about fostering the "slow metabolism" myth and the notion that diets cause your body to go into "starvation mode". I wouldn't be tremendously surprised if there are folk reading this right now who believe this (and will possibly continue to believe this) and worse.....promote the bat-$hit crazy ideas.

Vivienne

Carole
05-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Vivienne,
I loved the links to the BBC series. I have searched and can't seem to find a update on Andrea Oliver who was featured in the series. Since this was filmed over two years ago, it would be interesting to see if she has been able to maintain.
Love the conversation!

Vivienne
05-28-2012, 09:29 PM
While I was looking for a DVD of the series, I found that there's a book.....which I ordered used on Amazon. If there's any sort of update or follow up, I'll let you know. I doubt it, though, if it was published to accompany the series.

I can't remember how I found the initial website. I makes you wonder about all the stuff that's out there.

Vivienne

matteobma
06-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Very nice informational videos about what we eat, what are carbohydrates, protein, fat. How to cook better. How prepare a balanced meal.

This kind of informations it should be teached /learned in elementary school age.

Our (great)-grandparents were unconsciously suited to these rules.
They did not have a supermarket at every street corner.
They did not eat packaged products full of sugar / salt, and hydrogenated fats.
Probably they ate more fiber, calcium and they had to move the body for working.

Ciao Matteo :)

Vivienne
06-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Viv and I are obsessed with promoting gadgets that measure physical activity energy expenditure and dietary intake. What else can we recommend the general population to help them understand the calories in vs. calories out equation?

Well, tomorrow is the day I unveil our little project on an unsuspecting audience. In reality, I've been talking it up to my class members who seem to think it's a good idea and are starting to fathom that they might be eating a tad more than the mythical 1200 Cals a day and burning fewer than the equally mythical 500 Cals......ramped up to 800 Cals, now..... (AT LEAST!!) in class.

I'm somewhat fortunate in that one of our instructors is a nationally ranked mountain bike racer. Close to my age (but not quite in her Diamond Jubilee year), noted to be in Seriously Good Shape by everyone in the gym and, until the weather turned nicer, took my classes for some serious training. Aside from the discussions we've had on this forum about what it takes in terms of actual power to the pedals in order to burn 500 Cals in class, she's the perfect example of the sort of shape you need to be in in order to lay this effort down without it provoking compensatory behaviour over the remaining hours of the day. More importantly what it takes in terms of consistent and dedicated training to be in the sort of shape that both of us are.......and a time scale that's not measured in weeks or even months to get there.

Gulp.....no wonder my classes aren't as popular as some

Vivienne

melboney
06-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Well, tomorrow is the day I unveil our little project on an unsuspecting audience.

How did it go today?

Vivienne
06-06-2012, 12:31 PM
How did it go today?

Well, the Grand Unveiling is actully this evening. The gym's par-tay to reward the folk who've been coming and working out etc. over the past month.

I'm shaking my head already, though. Whilst asking my class members this am if they're going to be coming and sharing the fun etc. I swear that at least half the class were apparently totally gobsmacked that there was this undertaking.....woth valuable prizes, no less.... FOR FREE. Signs all over the gym, sign up sheets, frequent reminders from moi, etc.......and it's a surprise!!?!

Hello Vivienne.......and you wonder why cadence checks don't work?

Vivienne

melboney
06-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Fill us in as soon as possible. I'm really curious about how well it's received.

Good luck and have fun tonight.

Vivienne
06-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Well, the project has passed its first test, Mel.

Although it makes perfect sense to the two of us, I wasn't everso sure that it would be something intuitively obvious to someone unaquainted with what we've been doing.......although my class members have been getting earache about it since I did the diet. How the gym worked it was that folk put their tickets into a vase alongside which prize they wanted (that was a good idea I would never have thought of).......and mine had just about the most tickets, so even without a verbal explanation, it seems it was an attractive idea. The woman who won the pedometer combo (I guess we should call her our beta-tester!) had taken my class for the first time yesterday am when I must've mentioned it for the umpteenth time, and is exactly the sort of person who stands to gain the most, I think......regular gym goer but just can't shift that peri/post-menopausal spread in spite of "doing everything"

I put my e-mail address in with both the prizes for folk to contact me if they have any questions or want to take advantage of my offer of a training session so we'll see. Whether it works or not is out of my hands now.

Vivienne

melboney
06-07-2012, 10:41 AM
The woman who won the pedometer combo (I guess we should call her our beta-tester!) had taken my class for the first time yesterday am when I must've mentioned it for the umpteenth time, and is exactly the sort of person who stands to gain the most, I think......regular gym goer but just can't shift that peri/post-menopausal spread in spite of "doing everything"

This is so exciting. We have an unsuspecting beta-tester. I wonder if she is willing to subject herself to our full on program...

Vivienne
08-10-2012, 06:52 AM
This is so exciting. We have an unsuspecting beta-tester. I wonder if she is willing to subject herself to our full on program...

Hi Mel......I hope you haven't been holding your breath to hear what happened WRT to my excellent prizes.

Similar to what's happened whenever I've given a "loaner" HRM out to seemingly enthusiastic class members........they've disappeared without trace.

Sigh!

Vivienne