PDA

View Full Version : Class size - Shouldn't Spring be a busy time?

gwendyjane
04-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi all,
Since I'm a newbie (started instructing in Nov 11) I'm wondering if it's typical to see a dip in attendance in Spring. I figured Summer would be slow since riders are away but I've seen my numbers (and other instructors as well) drop in the past few weeks.
So hard not to take it personally!
For all of you experienced instructors, can you please tell us when you see the highs and lows in class attendance in relation to the seasons/other factors?
Thanks so much.

PedalFaster
04-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Depends. Some of the morning classes have slowed down alot. Some of the evening classes have picked up attendance. Some haven't changed at all. No, please, don't take it personally.

Chessy997
04-20-2012, 01:27 PM
I keep track of my attendance and it always dips somewhat around late April/May. But it dipped a little sooner this year - the weather is a little better this spring (in WI), so maybe that's why it dipped earlier. It seems to start to slowly build back up from September - October.

hally
04-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Here in the midwest it is very typical to see a dip in attendance in Spring thru mid October. This year was even earlier with the very warm weather. Do not take it personally, tonight I am subbing a class and with sunny skies and temps in the 70's, I bet I will have 10-12 riders, normally over 30 will attend. No sure about regions where it may get to hot to ride outside, FL, AZ, TX may actually see an increase in numbers. We get a riders who just love indoor cycling and those who like to ride outside but do not have a couple hours and will come for a quick Spinning after work. I wish I could take the summer and early fall off and ride outside with the members.

jpliegl
04-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Here in WI when the weather gets nice I know to expect a dip in attendance. My class during the winter will draw #'s in the high 20's but during nice weather it can drop to around 10. When I first started it bothered me as well but then I saw other instructor's #'s were down which made me feel better. On the plus side I occasionally see some students out riding and they comment on how they feel being in my class as well as others has helped their riding. Good time to practice new classes and hone your techniques.

Vivienne
04-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Hi all,
Since I'm a newbie (started instructing in Nov 11) I'm wondering if it's typical to see a dip in attendance in Spring. I figured Summer would be slow since riders are away but I've seen my numbers (and other instructors as well) drop in the past few weeks.
So hard not to take it personally!
For all of you experienced instructors, can you please tell us when you see the highs and lows in class attendance in relation to the seasons/other factors?
Thanks so much.

Ditto what everyone else has said. I think it has to be particularly so for IDC if you have many outdoor cyclists in class. You'll probably also notice that the gym attendance drops a little also.

Vivienne

lmpiquette
04-23-2012, 05:22 AM
Actually, right around now is when a lot of the roadies begin to disappear.

InnerDrive
04-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Even if your participants are NOT outdoor riders, I think it's pretty typical that when the weather outside turns nice in the early spring, people just want to get outside and enjoy it - whether that's on a bike, or in their garden, or whatever. I notice the whole gym seems more quiet on those early spring days when the weather warms up after people have been cooped up indoors all winter.

gwendyjane
04-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks everyone, this all makes sense. It was colder this week in NYC and the attendance was back up (whew!).

cyclechick
05-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Oh, don't take it personally. Try to keep the energy level up, I know that's hard with smaller numbers, but they'll be back. The club I work at has a huge outdoor cycling population so we love rain and extreme hot weather because it brings them back in during spring/summer. :)