PDA

View Full Version : Would you stop a class if you injure yourself?

myriadgreen
01-13-2012, 03:46 AM
Last night I was teaching Body Combat and damaged a muscle in my left buttock area (of all the spots!). It was only 10 mins in to the class, but I soldiered on. Now I've had to cancel this mornings ab's class as my lower back and glutes are in pain (am getting treatment later on today from a sports massage...joy).

Should I have stopped? (Yes!) Has anyone had to make that call and what as the response of the participants/management?
I'm sure most people are wise enough not to get into such a predicament, and of course I feel like a twit now too.

toffy
01-13-2012, 05:10 AM
Yes... you probably would better stop. Easy to say, hard to do...I know...

Maybe you could keep the class, by doing some other exercices you could teach without practicing them (that wouldn't be a body combat class but the class would understand), like running around the studio, jumping at your hands clap (single jump, double jump, single jump followed by squat, bla..bla..blaa, some abs).

Probably you would build a different class, your students would appreciate your atitude of not left them and you would save yourself!

Thant's my (outside) advise

Hope you get better quickly!!

:-)

blaning
01-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Last night I was teaching Body Combat and damaged a muscle in my left buttock area (of all the spots!). It was only 10 mins in to the class, but I soldiered on. Now I've had to cancel this mornings ab's class as my lower back and glutes are in pain (am getting treatment later on today from a sports massage...joy).

Should I have stopped? (Yes!) Has anyone had to make that call and what as the response of the participants/management?
I'm sure most people are wise enough not to get into such a predicament, and of course I feel like a twit now too.
I had a situation once during a class that the chain broke on my Spinner bike. I didn't miss a beat and continued to teach the class off-bike. Recently I had a medical condition that precluded my being able to sit on a bike saddle, and had to teach standing adjacent to the bike. Not a pleasant experience for me since I have always focused on the participants following my lead on most actions.

I'm sure if I were to injure myself during a class but able to continue I wouldn't shortchange the class, and soldier on too. Unfortunate for you that you've had to cancel classes though.

timd
01-15-2012, 02:09 PM
If a class member had injured themself, would you let them continue? I would hope not. You should have put buttocks on ice and finished off the bike.

sue
01-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Sometimes you don't think the hurt will be that bad. I was teaching boot camp a while back, doing push-ups when I felt a pop in my shoulder. I was like what was that. I rolled it a few times & kept on teaching. Unfort. I tore my rotator cuff. Had to have surgery to repair it. I never thought that that was want I did, didn't matter as I tore it so stopping wouln't have changed the outcome.

It is true though if you were to see someone in your class get hurt you would make them stop. Unfort. as instr. we don't always practice what we preach. I guess it is a judgement call on what you did & how it feels at the time. Sue

EuroD
01-18-2012, 01:06 PM
As an instructor, we ought to practice what we preach. We advise our participants to take care of injuries, therefore as instructors we ought to do the same thing. Anytime I am nursing an injury, I will let my class know and teach off the bike.

jpliegl
01-20-2012, 08:03 PM
I have had something similar happen to me awhile ago in my spin class. Felt a slight pull in my calf and thought I could carry on in class. One of the participants noticed that I was in pain and actually asked if I would let them continue. Made me practice what I preach.

cafehead
01-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Meh. I admire your commitment and bravery.

Of course brave people tend to be the first killed and injured in most dangerous situations. Us chickens last a bit longer.

Funhog
01-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Meh. I admire your commitment and bravery.

Of course brave people tend to be the first killed and injured in most dangerous situations. Us chickens last a bit longer.

Shayne! You're back (with all cylinders firing)! How was Asia?
wait...off topic! You can tell me on FB! ;-)

Pru, hindsight is 20/20 isn't it? How many times do we feel something weird in our muscles but it doesn't feel so bad and we soldier on, and it turns out to be ok? But this time... it didn't. Yeah, maybe next time you feel THAT particular owie you'll stop (you didn't say how severe it felt when you first noticed it) but don't berate yourself for being a Twit! Sometimes it's hard to know if it was that kind of owie or this kind of owie (if you know what I mean).

I do think all of our students will respect us however, if we stop riding if we feel we've injured ourselves, but still continue off the bike. If they don't they aren't worth talking about!

I guess if it's not in Spinning, but another class, where you need to be actually doing the workout and you DO injure yourself, you'd be silly to continue and have to cancel it right then and there.

I've been personal training and demonstrated something for my clients, felt a weird pull in my back, but not too bad. Next day I could hardly straighten up, and my next session with them 2 days later I had to sit for most of it. I did the move correctly, but perhaps was fatigued. Who knows...

myriadgreen
01-25-2012, 06:28 AM
Hindsight.... it's a wonderful thing!

Stewart Riley
02-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I had a grade II injury to my hamstring but carried on with the class, should I have stopped, yes, have I learnt my lesson yes, was I grumpy for the 3 weeks for a bike, hell yes!

zoepup
02-06-2012, 04:05 PM
It would depend on the injury. If I could continue off the bike I would do that. If I was laying on my back awaiting CPR, I think I would have to call it in

kszspin
02-06-2012, 04:57 PM

Looks like Pru was not teaching a cycling class^^^. In this instance Pru, I would have probably done just what you did, kept the class going. I might have made some modifications to what I would do and tell the class that you are modifying or even NOT do the movements, but verbally coach them because you just "felt something happen to your butt" (which would give them a nice giggle!), then use a seasoned participant as a "model" for a higher intensity movement.