PDA

View Full Version : five post minimum

EOT RIDER
12-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Does anyone know how long it takes to process before I can access all info?
Thx

Todd S
12-13-2011, 02:40 PM
AFAIK, you need to log out and log back in.

Vivienne
12-16-2011, 05:21 AM
AFAIK, you need to log out and log back in.

And there's the *5 posts* thing.....

Vivienne

iRideIndoors
12-27-2011, 04:19 PM
do the replies count as posts?

iRideIndoors
12-27-2011, 04:20 PM
do replies to individual posts count as posts or is it a new post in a thread that counts?

hollyncohen
12-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Do you have to post 5 times before accessing the music forum?

mayer
01-09-2012, 12:54 AM
do the replies count as posts?

Would love to know this as well... I'll let you know if figure it out (upon reaching the 5) ;)

glennon129
01-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Yes, I believe that is the rule.

Beccagb78
01-18-2012, 10:11 AM
I am also new here and wondering the same thing....really needing to get in to the profiles forum since I have been teaching 5+ classes a week and am getting bored with what I have!!

EuroD
01-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Keep posting the free lunch comes after 5 posts.

Wendispin
01-24-2012, 08:56 PM
I am not able to access the profiles and I have over 5 posts. I have tried logging out and back in. Any suggestions?

Funhog
01-25-2012, 11:58 AM
I guess you have to cross the DMZ.

cougie
03-05-2012, 07:33 AM
I'm just posting here to boost my post count. :-)

Vivienne
03-05-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm just posting here to boost my post count. :-)

I'm sure no-one guessed that.

Vivienne

rashana03
03-11-2012, 08:14 PM
I thought I reached my 5 minimum posts, but I am still not able to log in to the private forums.

ginada
03-12-2012, 08:05 AM
I have lost my access so here's a post to get back into the loop , I hope

ginada
03-12-2012, 08:06 AM
same problem here.

ginada
03-12-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm doing the same thing...seems crazy

ginada
03-12-2012, 08:07 AM
having same problem here.

Vivienne
03-12-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm doing the same thing...seems crazy

Imagine what it might feel like to be actually, you know..... reading the same thing overandoverandoveragain.

Just sayin'

Vivienne

lkrebs1
03-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Gina I think you are doing the same thing I am !! Trying to meet the 5 post limit!

lkrebs1
03-12-2012, 12:35 PM
I hope i can after I do this! it is so confusing!

lkrebs1
03-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Gina did you gain access?

sauer
04-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Good question :)?

simax64
04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
I, too, have already posted 5+ times (mostly replies and suggestions), however, even after logging out and then back in, I still do not have access to all discussions. Not sure what to do!

Vivienne
04-18-2012, 12:28 PM
I, too, have already posted 5+ times (mostly replies and suggestions), however, even after logging out and then back in, I still do not have access to all discussions. Not sure what to do!

Patience, Grasshopper....

As far as I can tell, the couple of posts that took you to above your *minimum* were made within a few minutes of each other. It's too early to be askin' this question.

I see that you've been a "member" since 2006.......in all that time you've surely had enough access to all discussions to realise that you're not going to miss out on too much if you just hang in there for a few more hours (maybe even minutes for all I know). Really.....no REALLY

Vivienne

Amanda Felts
05-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Yep ~ I feel ya

Espinner
07-15-2012, 08:37 PM
How long does it take after the 5 post

melboney
07-15-2012, 09:08 PM
How long does it take after the 5 post

Not too long. But I am curious exactly how long it takes.

CatharinetheGreat
08-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Is editing profile also after 5 posts or is there a higher limit?
I think I should check out the other section in forum for this answer...:p

Kelly Lamb
08-22-2012, 07:56 AM
Totally ridiculous rule. I remember when this forum didn't have those rules. I don't recall seeing an overabundance of spam that would have been the cause of the rule, but I went away and stopped teaching for a few years.

Vivienne
08-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Totally ridiculous rule. I remember when this forum didn't have those rules. I don't recall seeing an overabundance of spam that would have been the cause of the rule......

I don't think that "spam" was the rationale behind the original rule .....I'm talking about years ago, now, and before current management was even involved. The reason was, I assumed, a sort of quid pro quo......it's not like the majority of this forum is inaccessible because of that monumental barrier of 5 posts, is it? The only "secret" sections are the ones that are the result of a bit o' time and effort on the behalf of the contributors there. Playlists and profiles and whatnot......just like pretty much all the other bits, come to that

Nothing that's any more exciting, apparently, than the totally accessible parts of the forum .......judging form the number of folk who've done their *5 post minumum* duty and stopped well short of double digits, that is

FWIW, I'm pretty darn sure that, back in the day, the minimum was 10 posts to access the profiles etc section.......and I didn't even notice that at the time because there was so much of interest on every other part of the site that I'd had cause to post waaaay more than a bunch of qualifying one-liners before i even realised it.

It's 5 posts, for gawd's sake.....not your credit card number! (and there's always that alternative)

Vivienne

admin
08-26-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't think that "spam" was the rationale behind the original rule .....I'm talking about years ago, now, and before current management was even involved. The reason was, I assumed, a sort of quid pro quo......it's not like the majority of this forum is inaccessible because of that monumental barrier of 5 posts, is it? The only "secret" sections are the ones that are the result of a bit o' time and effort on the behalf of the contributors there. Playlists and profiles and whatnot......just like pretty much all the other bits, come to that Vivienne

You're exactly right Vivienne. I can understand someone realizing they are required to contribute, deciding not to, and then going somewhere else... but complaining about having to contribute something so small as typing 5 short posts? What is that?

It's 5 posts, for gawd's sake.....not your credit card number! (and there's always that alternative)

Vivienne
That's a great idea Vivienne (you're getting very wise as you approach that diamond of your's)

Maybe we could/should charge admission to those who prefer not to post... and use the money to pay the contributors that do add value here?

PedalFaster
08-26-2012, 11:40 AM
It's getting deep in here.

Vivienne
08-27-2012, 07:00 AM
You're exactly right Vivienne. I can understand someone realizing they are required to contribute, deciding not to, and then going somewhere else... but complaining about having to contribute something so small as typing 5 short posts? What is that?

My guess would be that it takes less effort to repeat the same ole, same ole question/gripe to make up your 5 posts than it does to come up with something in the spirit of the 5 post minimum.

When I first started posting (back in Days of Yore....a.k.a. the pre-Evil Doer era) I'm sure there was a 10 post minimum.....and I'm almost as sure that those posts needed some sort of actual content and not the lame-azz stuff that passes for such a "qualifying" post sometimes. Now this might be a result of the confabulations of a geriatric brain but I can remember for sure I had cause to ask why I was unable to access certain parts of the forum and was I doing something wrong? (....other than reading instructions of use, that is) .....and feeling embarrased that I needed to ask.

Before I'd even accessed those private parts, mind, I'd found a good few topics of enough interest where I'd had cause to join in the discussions with far more than the one liners (one worders) that we get of late.......and my historical revisionism has me thinking I'd made around 8 such posts.

This would prolly be my minimum for wanting to view anything more on a website

BoGs
10-13-2012, 05:24 PM
In my opinion this is causing more spam because new members are trying to get their 5 post minimum. Like Me!

mirik
10-29-2012, 10:54 AM
i am also trying to figure out what happens after u post five

mirik
10-29-2012, 11:07 AM
I posted five I'm just wondering how to access profiles after that ??

Jacksonrider
11-04-2012, 05:19 PM
I too am on the 5-post quest, as I am new to the site. I am happy to contribute - I wouldn't even have a problem with having to post a profile before you can access them - it's just a little confusing trying to navigate around the site. But, as I am new, I know I will figure it out. Looks this site will be a great resource.

Tymom06
10-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Can you just reply 5 times to posts or do you have to actually create 5 new posts? So strange.

groupfitpower
10-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Can you just reply 5 times to posts or do you have to actually create 5 new posts? So strange.

Anytime you start a new conversation, it is called a thread. The opening message in a thread is called a post. Any response to a thread is also called a post. So 5 posts means start a new thread or respond to any conversation.

It looks like you've gotten the hang of it, though.

:-)

trekgirl
12-02-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm embarking on my five-post minimum and look forward to participating.

tarah
12-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Welcome! No need to look forward to participating--jump right in and add to the conversation. Where are you from? Where do you teach? What kind of music, profiles, classes do you like to teach? What are your joys and frustrations in teaching indoor cycling?

trekgirl
12-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks Tarah - I live and teach in a small city in Virginia. I'm fortunate to instruct at a studio equipped with Keiser M3 bikes and PIQ performance software, so it's been a lot to grab hold of in my first almost-year of teaching, but I enjoy it. My biggest challenge? Creating profiles with a specific intent/goal. I don't have too much trouble tossing together 45 or 60 minutes of music with various drills, but I like to have an over-arching theme to a class, be it power, endurance, anaerobic threshold work, etc. Combine that with my taste for interesting, engaging music and I find I sometimes spend enough time on a single profile and playlist that my husband asks if I might not make better wages sewing in a third-world sweatshop :) Hoping to find inspiration and education here!

tarah
12-03-2013, 08:24 AM
How exciting that you have access to some amazing equipment! I'm definitely jealous. In my experience, the good news is that, once you've got yourself a few solid profiles that you really like, you'd be surprised how often you can get away with (a) unabashedly recycling them, or (b) "updating" them up by swapping in a new song or two. You would be amazed how often a simple pyramid profile, alternating flats/climbs, or aerobic intervals set (I like to do :30/:30, :45/:45, 1/1, and 2/2, then back them on down) can work for you.

Mishcyclle
12-09-2013, 04:39 PM
EOT RIDER, this is something I would really like to know too. Did you get your five post minimum?

eplusg
03-03-2014, 09:19 AM
I may have missed this answer but: Does the "5 posts" rule have to be conversation starters? Or do they include replies? Chompin' at the bit to check out profiles :)

groupfitpower
03-03-2014, 01:52 PM
I may have missed this answer but: Does the "5 posts" rule have to be conversation starters? Or do they include replies? Chompin' at the bit to check out profiles :)

There is no discrimination. You could post 5 replies to this thread, and they would all count as "posts." However, you will find that Pedal-On becomes a *MUCH* more helpful place if your first five posts give us a reason to care about you.

Just sayin'. :-)

paulh22
03-30-2014, 01:51 AM
Having run a commercial site I think the 5 post minimum is the right way to go. if you have a real interest in the site then you should be able to at least join in several conversations.

Great site!

Dsk101867
03-30-2014, 07:59 PM
reply to the post

Dsk101867
03-30-2014, 07:59 PM
post a reply

Dsk101867
03-30-2014, 08:00 PM
reply to the post yo