PDA

View Full Version : cycle fusion

kristenhatting
09-13-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm teaching a new format- a cycle fusion class, a mix of cycle and strength exercises. It's only 45 minutes long and we only have dumbbells and mats for equipment. Any ideas?

lbacott
09-13-2011, 08:29 PM
I teach a similar class - but 50 min. I have tried lots of different formats, but the one that works best for me is to teach 30 min. total on the bike, and 20 min. of strength. I divide up the class into 3 intervals on the bike (about 10 min. each) , with two 5-min strength segments, and one 10-min strength segment at the end. Sometimes, I try to incorporate as many muscle groups as possible with each exercise. For example, a squat with a bicep curl and shoulder press, push-ups combined with pulling a knee into the chest. The possibilities are endless! Other times I focus on just a few muscle groups for a few classes. For every movement that works just one muscle group (for example, an overhead tricep extension), you can stand on two legs or one to change up the movement. I also like doing the same strength exercises for 4 classes, so the participants can learn the moves, improve, and possibly increase the amount of weight lifted. I really love this class and the format, and have enjoyed teaching it for the past 3 years or so. Hope this helps!