PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on P90X?

heidispins
05-31-2011, 10:15 AM
I have had some clients and students ask me what I think about the program. I've done some of the workouts and glanced through the meal plan but I have not done enough research to develop a real opinion on the program as a whole. I will say that surviving this winter in Boston has warmed me to the workouts. The trek to the gym in 3 feet of snow is enough of a workout itself plus the adding and removing layers upon departure and arrival. I think they were pretty fun and intense enough for someone trying to tone up and lose weight. I think the plyo might not be great for someone overweight to do often (just for joint stress) but a lot of people have done really well with it. Unfortunately, I think it would be hard to maintain over the long term just because it would get boring.

What does everyone else think?

Vivienne
05-31-2011, 12:43 PM
I have had some clients and students ask me what I think about the program. I've done some of the workouts and glanced through the meal plan but I have not done enough research to develop a real opinion on the program as a whole. I will say that surviving this winter in Boston has warmed me to the workouts. The trek to the gym in 3 feet of snow is enough of a workout itself plus the adding and removing layers upon departure and arrival. I think they were pretty fun and intense enough for someone trying to tone up and lose weight. I think the plyo might not be great for someone overweight to do often (just for joint stress) but a lot of people have done really well with it. Unfortunately, I think it would be hard to maintain over the long term just because it would get boring.

What does everyone else think?

I haven't tried P90X.....but have seen folk who have ;)

No negative comments from anyone, and the guys who I tracked at the gym definitely got measurable results. However.....it's tough and it's time consuming so I think it tends to be the sort of thing that normal folk might be able to stick to for the 90 days, but then back off just from the time commitment and strenuousness (strenuosity?) rather than boredom. I prefer to incorporate stuff into my life that I think I can stick with.

This is one I have tried
https://www.supreme90dayworkoutdvds.com/?mid=1121187

It's modeled on the p90X but is a bit less strenuous and the first month has 30 minute workouts rather than the full hour of P90X......even so, it's almost too much for me. My daughter's current boyfriend ordered one (or so he thought). He inadvertantly ordered 2 copies, found it was almost as expensive to mail the extra back as the purchase price so gave it to me.

They're both doing the w/o together and my already fit daughter has gotten even more ripped and her not-so-fot bf is now getting close to rivalling her.

I think for the price difference, you might consider this.

Having said that, there are heaps of w/o DVDs on the market now, so don't limit your search

Vivienne (the DVD/infomercial Queen)

halicycle
05-31-2011, 01:05 PM
I've been through the P90x program twice, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I will do a third round after marathon season is over in the winter. I have to say it isn't for everybody though. I've recommended it to people and it ends up sitting collecting dust. It works if you do it and stick with it. I didn't follow the diet and still got great results.

heidispins
05-31-2011, 01:22 PM
My brother passed on the DVDs to me to check out so I have enjoyed playing around with them. I'm a certified personal trainer and I teach spinning 4 times a week so I have my own workouts that I alter based on my fitness goals at the moment. I've been thinking about committing to P90x just so I can talk more knowledgeably to my clients. As it has increased in popularity, everyone is curious about it.

Plus it's summer and I could use some toning and it's nice not to have to think. Someone else can tell me what to do and I just do it!

I've heard lots of praise and definitely seen the results of those who have done it but I run across people who are very much against it. That's why I asked! I have yet to run into anything that goes against my training and years of experience in this field but maybe someone else has.

heidispins
05-31-2011, 01:22 PM
I meant to say thank you for responding at the beginning of that! Oops!

Vivienne
05-31-2011, 01:50 PM
I've heard lots of praise and definitely seen the results of those who have done it but I run across people who are very much against it. That's why I asked! I have yet to run into anything that goes against my training and years of experience in this field but maybe someone else has.

First off, I think a person needs to be in reasonable shape in the first place to be able to get the best from it.

Also, some folk just don't have the spatial IQ, nouse, gumption......call it what you like.....to follow a DVD without making consistent errors in form etc. Just like a group exercise class has its share of folk who don't/can't/won't get it. That's the only real criticism I could imagine.....unless folk want some sort of sport specific w/o. That's why such a time commitment wouldn't work for me.

Vivienne

heidispins
05-31-2011, 02:07 PM
First off, I think a person needs to be in reasonable shape in the first place to be able to get the best from it.

I TOTALLY agree with that. If they aren't in shape (at least somewhat) form is going to suffer and injury would be very easy. That was one of the only concerns I came up with. Specifically I can see where someone who is overweight could run into problems with the plyometrics. A lot of jumping around isn't really good for joints already under stress.

melboney
06-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Great workout, but not the best for beginners. Even an experienced person can benefit from having a workout partner who will call her/him out on bad form or working with a trainer who is familiar with the program.

Positive feedback - I have a student who lost ~75 lbs in 9 months by following the P90X program. Once he lost the weight he started coming to the gym and has lost another 40 lbs over the past 8 months.

14lauriev
06-14-2011, 08:04 PM
I think that the best thing about P90X is that it teaches people that you have to do some combination of strength and/or cardio training most days of the week. It is time consuming, but I know people that have shortened the workout times and still had success. It is better to do something, even if it is only for a short time, than to do nothing at all.

omgirlie
06-26-2011, 06:59 PM
I haven't tried it but my friend did it - the weight flew off of him - he got lots of muscle tone - definitely hard core but good!

camifly
07-06-2011, 02:45 PM
The results can be great but beginners should start slowly; many of the exercises are more advanced. It's a great addition to a cross training program; especially if you spend most of your time on a bike.

fitness47
07-06-2011, 02:54 PM
I had ordered P90X as I am a Beachbody Coach, did it sporadically. I find I am more of a gym girl. I teach 4-8 cycle classes and its much easier to go from my class to a bodypump class or muscle blast or R.I.P.P.E.D class. It's more motivating for me anyway to be in a group setting. When I try at home to exercise I find every excuse NOT to do it. If you like home exercise all the BB products are great! Just my opinion :-)
Marianne

sue
07-12-2011, 08:47 PM
I have not tried it but heard pretty good things about it. BUT, as a fitness instr. my concern is no one to tell you your form is off. Esp. a new person who doesn't know proper form. Also you know when you are tired, or not feeling well it is easy to lose form but not realize it. I think you are better off going to classes at a gym. Variety is great & you can get that at the gym too. I work at a military base & they are soooo against it. It is not allowed to be done there. What ppl. do on their own is fine but they can not hold a grp. pt w/ their squadrons on the base. They have done research & found that too many injuries occur from uneducated (in fitness) people.

Hey look at it this way, if everyone did it we would be out of jobs.:eek: Sue

spinndiva
08-28-2011, 09:54 PM
P90x, a very good workout for all muscle groups. When it rains, snow, sleet, hail, and you don't feel like going to the gym, just pop the dvd in your player and you will have the best workout like if you were in the gym.

chrissytahoe2
08-29-2011, 12:55 AM
The program is fun for those dedicated. Newbies should try to find a P/T (friend?) to come over and show them adaptations so they don't hurt themselves, but in the long run, its a decent program.