PDA

View Full Version : Instructing at age 65

Jerry
10-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi I'm Jerry, I have been spinning about a year and a half now and became a certified instructor earlier this year. Now a sub at my club. I have worked out for 30 years but never had as much fun as I am now.

Always looking for good music and ideas and suggestions - this site seems like the perfect place.

Looking forward to participating.

Tolzer
11-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Hi Jerry! :)

Welcome to Pedal-on.com

We all look forward to your participation.

Tolzer ;)

bikerchick2
11-20-2005, 05:52 PM
WHO~DEY and WOO HOO! I am so proud to meet ya!:D Welcome. One of the strongest riders in our group is a 70 year old man, who amazes me with his endurance. Good for YOU!
bikerchick2

gilberth
01-21-2006, 08:01 AM
I've been doing many long distance (recumbent)bike rides over the past 10 years and began Spinning about 5 years ago. A friend is an instructor in LA and encouraged me to get certified which I did about 2 years ago. I've taught over 100 classes during '05 and enjoy the prep and serving as a role model. I feel it has helped me become a stronger climber as well as having dropped 20 pounds.
Live well and thrive.
Howard

marnster
01-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi Jerry,
I posted elsewhere, but didn't know if you would see it...
Where in Michigan are you? If you are ever in the Grand Rapids area, you should come and ride with us at the David D. Hunting YMCA...we'd love to have you ;) ~ Marnie

alexkaboom
02-01-2006, 06:27 AM
Hi I'm Jerry, I have been spinning about a year and a half now and became a certified instructor earlier this year. Now a sub at my club. I have worked out for 30 years but never had as much fun as I am now.

Always looking for good music and ideas and suggestions - this site seems like the perfect place.

Looking forward to participating.

Wow! You are an inspiration! I met a very nice 65+ lady last year at the WSSC (World Spinning and Sports Conference)... she too was such an inspiration... strong, obviously great endurance... I told her I wanted to be just like her when I grew up (LOL)... I'm 29.

Welcome aboard!
Alex

Jonnyspin
04-03-2006, 12:08 PM
thanks for the inspiration for someone who has just turned 40!

(the rate pensions are going in the UK, I'll need to teach to 75 :) )

Guava Cycle Girl
04-04-2006, 02:25 AM
Hi Jerry!

I love that you are teaching! And let's be honest 65 is young! I have one of my favorite spinner's Mike who just turned 60 and could kick my 26 year old butt any day of the week! We had a huge surprise party for him and we put our bikes side by side and i gave him the mic for few and let me tell ya I was wounded and winded! I prefer teaching to the plus 40 crowd because their love for life is so prevelant! Under 25 everyone has the shyness factor or won't come out of their little box and it drives me nuts but my crew wow i can barely keep up to their energy level and the more I push them the more they come back! So keep up the great work and keep up because I plan to be here when I am 65...75..85 (okay 86 I am retiring on a beach but if they teach spinning on a palm tree filled beach and white sand i am back on that saddle!)

Cheers Rachel

sngr3
01-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi all---I'm just starting teaching spin @ our Y here in the Panhandle of Florida-- We are a small (but passionate!) group of spinners with 9 bikes + 1 instructor--I've been spinning 1 1/2 years after many yrs of working out and running--I love (and am addicted) to spinning with my group--always looking for ways to have more interesting and stimulating rides--anybody have an interest in coming up with /sharing more ideas for rides???I'd love to have some in put on new scenarios for rides and share any ideas--I grew up in the 60's and 70's--my "war" was VN--so you know I am vintage---
ps Guava Girl--plenty of palms here but spinning makes me grin!

Stan:cool:

britspin
01-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Optimistic are we not Jonnyspin..75? Pah! Mind you by then all your records will have been lost, left in a bin in a shopping centre in Milton Keynes & you officially won't exist..or there will be 4 of you.
Marnie I have a good friend in Grand Rapids...not sure which area as I don't have his address coz I am stealing time at work, I will get back to you..he could probably do with dropping a few pounds ..& his wife too.

Ronald H
07-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Glad to hear of other "seniors" still riding and teaching. I'll soon be 68 and have been teaching Spinning(R) for about eight years. My riders range from 15 to Bob riding regularly at 85. Isn't it wonderful to have an activity that crosses the decades?

I also ride the road outdoors although my average speed is not as high as previously. But then, I don't ride just for speed. Just finished the Tour de Wyoming (about 360 miles over six days) which was in the Wyoming Rocky Mountains. Yup, I was passed my many on the 13 mile, 5-7% climb on day 5, but I reached the top of Dead Indian Pass ahead of about a quarter of the riders. Even though I wasn't in the first quarter to summit, the view was just as beautiful and the sense of accomplishment no less.

What keeps me riding? The joy of riding, accepting challenges and meeting or exceeding goals-- Hearing nothing but the birds and the sound of my wheels punctuated by the sound of changing gears. When with a group, the fellowship of like minded riders -- the sharing of experiences and tales. But no less are the health and fitness benefits.

Ronald H

spinneridol
07-31-2008, 09:12 AM
It is stories such as this that keep me motivated. I am ready to turn 51 in a few days and when I start moaning and groaning about how tired I am and how bad work was and why I just want to sit on the couch with a huge bag of Dorito's, a cold bottle of Corona and watch several episodes of "Law & Order" I will remember these posts......................and get my a$$ to spin class.......................:::)))))))))))))))))))

Thanks for sharing your stories.

Great stuff.

alocksley
08-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Everyone here is inspiring to me, a "young pup" of 41:rolleyes:...in all honesty I have never felt better (aside from the twice-yearly instances of back pain) and most people tell me I have never looked better, than now. I love to ride and love to teach and hope to be doing it for the next 41 years, God willin' and the creek don't rise...!

And by the way, one of my favorite other instructors at the club where I teach is 67 years old and going strong. He is also an experienced road rider and I love the maturity and perspective he brings to his classes. He's not some 24-year-old who spends the entire class screaming at you...who needs that?

You go, Jerry!:D

MidwestSpinGuy
03-03-2009, 07:47 AM
I am 41 and have been a competitive mountain biker for years. I started spinning in the winters when the trails were mush and began thinking about teaching a few years ago. I decided that I was too old (most of the people I work out with, ride with and hang out with are "kids"---guys my age have all started playing golf--yuck) but Jerry you have pushed me to look into it for real. Thanks bud, keep up the good work.

kelwend
03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
My mentor is close to 60 and he will kick all young riders newbie-regular-warrior and racer. He raced a few years with the best in US so have a lot of experience and I have never seen a stroke like his !
In opposition to that in one facility there where I teach there is another instructor same range of age ... he really need to stop !
I am still in the average but as long as I will like it I will keep going, but not until the expiration of my certification 2055.